White Coat Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we have to buy our own white coats and I was wondering what the length should be. Other residents said about knee length but when I try them on that seems really long. Hard to tell on others where the knees are in scrubs and white coat, if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as possible. You want it to drag the floor if possible.

we have to buy our own white coats and I was wondering what the length should be. Other residents said about knee length but when I try them on that seems really long. Hard to tell on others where the knees are in scrubs and white coat, if that makes sense.

im not sure if there are any exact criteria...i thought it was okay as long as it is longer than a med student coat.....long enough to tell the difference.

Mine nearly reaches my ankles - think Neo from the Matrix, except white cloth instead of black latex. Then again, I don't carry anything in my coat except paper and pens, so maybe that'd be too much coat if you're toting around a bunch of stuff.

haha thanks for the replies. I know it was kind of a stupid question.

Wow to all of the above answers... those are almost verbatim from one of the old MCW class threads in a discussion about how the length of a white coat shows the amount of power someone has, and then it turned into how the most powerful should wear capes.

I say buy a black coat.

im not sure if there are any exact criteria...i thought it was okay as long as it is longer than a med student coat.....long enough to tell the difference.

You do realize that there are several excellent medical schools that don't do the short white coat?

You do realize that there are several excellent medical schools that don't do the short white coat?

There are also a few excellent programs that still require their interns to wear the short white coat.

If the norm in the OP's program is to wear a longer coat, he/she should just try some coats on or ask the other residents where they purchased theirs, style number, etc. and get the same.

I'm 5'7"-'5'8" and the standard length men's white coats fit me pretty well. I wouldn't go for tall unless you're over 6'.

If you want a good one, I recommend Landau brand 5 pocket.

http://www.allheart.com/ln3124.html

Last edited:
get one with big pockets (wide and deep if possible). Having pockets on the inside is also a plus.

... wearing a cape? Everyone will think you are a neurosurgery resident...you can also get a tool belt you can use when heroic life saving measures are needed:laugh:

I thought the capes were cardiac surgeons. Wait, as an old attending surgeon called them "the god squad" (stopping the heart and restarting it again,) they would wear robes. :laugh:*

*disclaimer. Just relaying what people I worked with have said.

In all seriousness, I usually had mine fitted for below the knee to mid-calf.