White Coat Size Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2015MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if someone could help me figure out whether I should get a medium or large white coat.

Medium: 38-40 chest/30-32 waist
Large: 42-44 chest/34-36 waist

I normally wear medium sized shirts and my waist is usually 30-32 (depending on the pair of pants). My suit jacket size is 36R, but that fits quite tightly. I tried white coats on at a local store, but both the mediums and larges fit me differently depending on the brand. And I'm not sure which brand my school will use. Should I go for a large because of all the stuff I'll be sticking in the pockets, or could I get away with a medium?

Members don't see this ad.

Size awesome! seriously always go larger you are going to wear clothes under your coat maybe even a sweater in the winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would err on the side of caution and get the large.

If the brands really varied, I'd also go for the larger one... if it's too big, you can always get it tailored, and the crap in your pockets definitely takes up space.

I remember reading a thread about someone getting their coat tailored. Can't find it now...

if you can fit into a 36 without things ripping apart, a 42/44 will be huge on you. no amount of clothing adds 6-8 inches to your size, and most of the year you won't be wearing anything other than the same kind of shirt you're wearing under that 36.

I can't wait for this to be something I have to worry about :D

does your school not have a White Coat Ceremony? :cry:

If your suit jacket size is 36/37, definitely get a medium white coat. Getting a tailor to try to make a large into an almost-medium will probably cost you more than just getting another white coat.

I also wear medium shirts with 32w pants. I own a size 40 lab coat and it fits me decently with a little extra room. I think either of the lab coat will be fine, but 40 is on the safe side (if you ever get fat or buff :laugh:).

I never even thought about the white coat (I don't even know if my school has a white coat ceremony?). Even though my chest is 32 and waist 28 should I go with medium b/c I'm 6'0 and am I going to need it tailored? Also I am starting to lift weights so hopefully I'll fill out more so should I stick with medium?

Go XXXL and pretend you're a doctor in a long coat

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate it if someone could help me figure out whether I should get a medium or large white coat.

Medium: 38-40 chest/30-32 waist
Large: 42-44 chest/34-36 waist

I normally wear medium sized shirts and my waist is usually 30-32 (depending on the pair of pants). My suit jacket size is 36R, but that fits quite tightly. I tried white coats on at a local store, but both the mediums and larges fit me differently depending on the brand. And I'm not sure which brand my school will use. Should I go for a large because of all the stuff I'll be sticking in the pockets, or could I get away with a medium?

Err...I wouldn't go above a medium. Unless you want to look like you're wearing dad's white coat.

Yes, like the others I would caution to go larger than not. 3rd and 4th year you'll be carrying around a lot of **** in your pockets so having one too small is uncomfortable. Form-fitting isn't practical when papers are spilling out your pockets and you can't fit your necessary pocket encyclopedias. And for arm length you can always tailor it shorter.

Not sure about your school but at mine, the graduating students would sell back their white coats quite often. I'd go with a properly fitting coat for now and wait 'til 3rd year to buy a used but clean and bigger one from the older students. They're usually no more than $20 each.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The responses seem to be 50/50, haha. I feel like a medium would fit me best since I'm actually in the size range and not in between sizes. My only concern is whether I'd feel comfortable with all the "stuff" I'm gonna be stuffing inside the pockets. What exactly will I be filling my pockets with?

Erm... random thought, are we supposed to button the coat up at the ceremony? That may be a problem for me.

Erm... random thought, are we supposed to button the coat up at the ceremony? That may be a problem for me.

I have never seen anyone at a WCC button their coat. Aren't they always worn open?

That would be a problem for me for a different reason...

Lots. A small pocket-edition of something, or two, your stethoscope if not around your neck, a granola bar when you're on surgery, an eye chart, a reflex hammer when on medicine and/or peds, the ridiculous tuning fork on neuro (and maybe on medicine if you're a gunner like me), some packets of lube when on OB-GYN or Urology, a week's worth of signout documents, and buried deep in the bottom of a pocket will be your dignity.

Everyone's short little white coat looks horrible. You will button it at times (though probably not immediately at the ceremony). Don't worry about it too much. Most are too big, with many folks rolling the sleeves a bit if they have to.

definitely the medium ....and try to bulk up a bit, 36R is TINY :p

haha, i probably should try to bulk up some more. i do work out, but i've always been 36-38. and it doesn't help that i usually lose 10-15 pounds/year when i'm at school

Has your school told you to get your white coat or do you need it for some reason right now? You mentioned that you're not sure what brand your school will use so I'm guessing they haven't told you about it yet.

I know at my school they had coats for us to try on during orientation so you could figure out the size (granted we have our WCC at the end of first year not the beginning, so I could see you needing it earlier than us).

I would try to contact a student from the school you're going to and ask about coats. I'd hate for you to spend the money now, then find out your school requires a certain type and have to spend more later.

Has your school told you to get your white coat or do you need it for some reason right now? You mentioned that you're not sure what brand your school will use so I'm guessing they haven't told you about it yet.

I know at my school they had coats for us to try on during orientation so you could figure out the size (granted we have our WCC at the end of first year not the beginning, so I could see you needing it earlier than us).

I would try to contact a student from the school you're going to and ask about coats. I'd hate for you to spend the money now, then find out your school requires a certain type and have to spend more later.

my white coat ceremony is during the first week of classes and i just found out yesterday that i needed to submit a form with my size info by june 1st. and i'm not completely sure when/if i have to pay for it. the order form just asks for my size and says i'll be able to pick it up on the day of the ceremony