White Coat Stains

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbgg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just received my new white coat, and I am quite excited about it.

Unfortunately, giving me one of these things, ensured that it would be stained promptly. I am not quite sure of what the stains are. Do you all have any tips on the best practices to keep it clean, or to clean it to remove stains.

I am aware that some people don't really care what their coat looks like, but I currently take a little pride in wearing it still.

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I had coal tar stains on my lab coat that did not go away no matter what I did. I just used bleach and washed them to see if they would go away. You could try that. I just ended up buying a new lab coat.

Scotchguard. That stuff really works.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will have to force me to wear my white coat. I'll only wear it when it is required. I will scotchguard the hell out of it and use bleach to wash it...often. I don't want to be bringing home cdif spores.

They will have to force me to wear my white coat. I'll only wear it when it is required. I will scotchguard the hell out of it and use bleach to wash it...often. I don't want to be bringing home cdif spores.

I rarely wore mine on rotations. It helps if you get pregnant near the beginning of rotations and then you can use the "it's too hot" or "it doesn't fit" excuse. :p Probably wore < 5 times during residency too. Again, getting knocked up helps. Now, I never wear mine. Hate white coats!

Reactions: 1 user
I rarely wore mine on rotations. It helps if you get pregnant near the beginning of rotations and then you can use the "it's too hot" or "it doesn't fit" excuse. :p Probably wore < 5 times during residency too. Again, getting knocked up helps. Now, I never wear mine. Hate white coats!

I hate them too. I wish I could get knocked up for rotations :(

Some people get really into wearing the white coat and will wear it to lunch outside of the hospital. Eff that.

I hate them too. I wish I could get knocked up for rotations :(

Some people get really into wearing the white coat and will wear it to lunch outside of the hospital. Eff that.

I see people wearing them all kinds of places they shouldn't. Heck, I've seen people in McD's in shoe and hair covers. What's the point of that?

Middle of my second year and I've still never worn it except for lab a few times lol. I hate that thing.

I keep a bleach pen handy. Agree that the only way to keep it clean is to never wear it.

I also used a bleach pen and it worked great at getting the spots out without bleaching the embroidery on the coat. I don't recommend washing the coat with just regular bleach unless the coat is completely white.