White teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAV424

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend asked me a question about teeth the other day that I didn't really know the answer to. Her question was, "Why do your top teeth always seem to be whiter than your bottom teeth?" So I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable students could salvage the reputation of a poor first year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DAV424 said:
My girlfriend asked me a question about teeth the other day that I didn't really know the answer to. Her question was, "Why do your top teeth always seem to be whiter than your bottom teeth?" So I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable students could salvage the reputation of a poor first year. Thanks.
What on earth are you talking about?

I think I remember that it's because the enamel coating is thinner on bottom teeth, so the yellow dentin shines through more. But it's been a long time since I studied or even cared about that stuff. You can try telling your patients that, but they don't care because they always want all their teeth toilet-bowl-white.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

this question seems to be interesting and funny....i think tht thre isnt any difference between upper and lower tooth colour....bt i think still lower teeth look less white as compared to upper one bcz mostly lower one are overlapped and not tht straight so we cant brush them properly and ther seems to be more chance of plaque accumulation ...but if u have all teeth straight as after orthodontic treatment ur all teeth will look alike.

Well my answer must be stupid :) ... dont give it to ur girlfriend :p as iam not a complete dentist but a new second year student

thanks,
BDS girl

I would venture a guess that it has to do with staining due to coffee and tea consumption. The tea/coffee probably sits on your lower teeth longer than it does on the upper anteriors. Thus the lower teeth would be a shade or two darker.