Who Built This Useless Truck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
lifted_truck.jpg

Someone thought that doing this was a good idea. Someone else sold them the vehicle or the parts or otherwise helped them do it. They helped the owner do something that ruined an otherwise functional vehicle, making it unsuitable for street or off road.

Why would any automotive professional participate in this?

Because the owner is a customer.

And the customer is always right. Whatever they want, whatever they say, whatever they think, as long as they’re willing to pay for it, they can have it.

That’s the thing about customers. That’s why patients and customers should be different.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

And the customer is always right. Whatever they want, whatever they say, whatever they think, as long as they’re willing to pay for it, they can have it.
My wife is a designer for an ad agency. There is a new project they're working on; it's an "ethnic" restaurant with a name that I just can't get around. Here's a parenthetical aside: my sister was a year ahead of me in school. For her senior class elections, one of the fellows running for VP was one of the few black students we had (less than 10, out of 1500 - not rich, at ALL, suburban, no Jews, Arabs, Muslims, and fewer Hispanics than blacks). He's a really charismatic guy, but I wonder who put up the poster that said, "Play Your Cards Right - Vote For The Ace Of Spades!" He won. So, this customer wants to start a restaurant with a name like that (but that is NOT it); offensive, but not completely the worst thing ever said. It's more like calling it "Honkey's" or "Cracker's".

Well, the lady that owns the agency told him that this is a dumb name. Before I knew this, I told my wife that I would not frequent such a named place (and I'm not liberal). That's when she told me that she had told the boss something similar, and the boss told this customer. But, he doesn't even care. He is front loading this with his own money, but hasn't gotten investors yet. I'm guessing he won't get any. Even all the logos that my wife designed, he likes the worst one (at least from my reckoning - there were, like, 12 different styles, and the one I rated last, he raved over).

But, the customer is always right!

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 313069

Someone thought that doing this was a good idea. Someone else sold them the vehicle or the parts or otherwise helped them do it. They helped the owner do something that ruined an otherwise functional vehicle, making it unsuitable for street or off road.

That’s the thing about customers. That’s why patients and customers should be different.

You get good visibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 313069

Now imagine a govt truck agency using truck driver satisfaction to demand you make this truck over and over again regardless of the cost

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 313069

How dare you put a picture of my truck online.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Does the truck come with a ladder? How about a built in sanitizer dispenser and m*sk rack?

If so, I'm buyin'. I don't care how much it costs.

can we not derail this thread. DocB's point is a salient one, and a little close to home for me. Don't know what we can do, unless we just open up our own self-funded hospital that provides free care to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
can we not derail this thread. DocB's point is a salient one, and a little close to home for me. Don't know what we can do, unless we just open up our own self-funded hospital that provides free care to everyone.
I think we have to look at the reasons our bosses want to change patients to customers and place disproportionate value on "patient experience." The problem is that they now view volume, any volume, for appropriate complaints or not, as a plus for revenue. Therefore repeat business becomes important. The industry and the main payer (CMS) has doubled down on this with surveys (PG, Gallup, HCAHPS, etc.). Now I must treat the patient and make them love their experience, no matter what.

That brings us back to the truck. I would tell a patient that it's irresponsible and possibly dangerous to do that to his truck. But he'll be angry or at least annoyed. How's he going to fill out his PG now? In this setting can I really put my foot down and deny him the lift kit, or the antibiotic for his virus, or the narcotic for his owie?

I know the truck is just a show vehicle. And that's kinda the point. If someone builds a weird truck it's a truck. When I'm forced to practice bad medicine to achieve good customer service it's more deeply harmful.

Here's something I wrote on this subject, not long after my last EM shift. I think most of it is still relevant today:

Thanks for your advice over the years as it has given me a shot at least of making this work for a while.
I didn't know my rants were doing again good, but you're welcome. Glad to be of help.

If ortho could fit me with some legs like that I'd give them all 10's for patient satisfaction

Warning! Debbie downer here read only if you want!

Monster truck tires are so large with their regular tires that they cannot fit into their transportation trailers. Because of this, the tires have to be mounted on and unmounted back off after every show weekend. Tire.

sorry I knew that, I have never seen a monster truck or been to a rally but remember learning about them on discovery or documentry.

sad trombone sound, sorry back to real life lessons

Warning! Debbie downer here read only if you want!

Monster truck tires are so large with their regular tires that they cannot fit into their transportation trailers. Because of this, the tires have to be mounted on and unmounted back off after every show weekend. Tire.

sorry I knew that, I have never seen a monster truck or been to a rally but remember learning about them on discovery or documentry.

sad trombone sound, sorry back to real life lessons
My dad and I went to a monster truck show when I was a kid. It seemed like a good idea at the time ( :laugh: ). Then we realized it was in a dome stadium. About halfway through we both had headaches from the overwhelming exhaust smell, we left (brain cells dying) both baffled as to how any of it was even legal. Certain types of people don't care about brain cells, or what's legal. #LessonsToLiveBy