Who do you like interviewing with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who do you like to be interviewed with

• Male Doctor/Professor

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Female Doctor/Professor

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Male Student

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Female Student

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Dean/Director of Admissions

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but does anyone think that if you get an interview with certain people, say the dean or director of admissions, this is because either they are interested in you, or you were considered a better candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

interesting question. Ive had two interviews with the dean of admissions.......i dont think it has anything to do with them liking you more, but i'm really not sure. I imagine its just luck of the draw who is interviewing you but maybe someone else has some inside information on how they choose who interviews who.

I personally like being interviewed by other students.

interesting question. Ive had two interviews with the dean of admissions.......i dont think it has anything to do with them liking you more, but i'm really not sure. I imagine its just luck of the draw who is interviewing you but maybe someone else has some inside information on how they choose who interviews who.

I personally like being interviewed by other students.

That seems most likely to me too, but the first director had commented that he rememerbed my application from review, so I was just curious if anyone had heard if getting a dean was a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems most likely to me too, but the first director had commented that he rememerbed my application from review, so I was just curious if anyone had heard if getting a dean was a good sign.

hmm. thats interesting. Regardless of whether or not its randomly assigned, there no better time to make a good impression!

I like how most people chose (at this time) "Female Student" to interview with *snicker*. Why oh why could they possibly want that...

I like how most people chose (at this time) "Female Student" to interview with *snicker*. Why oh why could they possibly want that...

Yeah, my Women's Studies prof would have a cow if she saw how favored women are for interviews, yet how under represented they are in so many professions.

You should bring that up in class. I think some valuable discussion may come of it.
"Why do you think that a woman might be preferred?"
"Uh...so you got somethin' to look at?"
"*kills you with stare*"

She's already killing my beautiful 4.0. Seriously, even though I'm fine as long as I don't get a C in terms of medical school, it still really ticks me off that I can ace Biophysical chemistry for majors, and get stuck with an A- or worse on WST 100

She's already killing my beautiful 4.0. Seriously, even though I'm fine as long as I don't get a C in terms of medical school, it still really ticks me off that I can ace Biophysical chemistry for majors, and get stuck with an A- or worse on WST 100
You got points off for not being woman enough.

Members don't see this ad :)

...maybe you just suck at things that aren't science?
(you don't get stuck with grades... you do work and get graded for it. If you don't like how you're doing, consider why you might not be getting an A?)

(not necessarily suck, of course, since an A- is effing awesome)

(says the molbio/biochem and feminist/gender/sexuality studies major, who got consistent A-/B+/Bs in all FGSS courses and accepted the fact that MAYBE I AM NOT AWESOME AT THEORY, AND IT'S OKAY)

...maybe you just suck at things that aren't science?
(you don't get stuck with grades... you do work and get graded for it. If you don't like how you're doing, consider why you might not be getting an A?)

(not necessarily suck, of course, since an A- is effing awesome)

(says the molbio/biochem and feminist/gender/sexuality studies major, who got consistent A-/B+/Bs in all FGSS courses and accepted the fact that MAYBE I AM NOT AWESOME AT THEORY, AND IT'S OKAY)

Lol, actually I'm better at non science courses, I wouldn't have been able to keep a 4.0 if I was bad at nonscience courses, but I'm willing to admit that maybe I could be a little more interested in WST. It's just that I'm a really good writer, and this is a 100 level class. I read what a lot of the Freshman submit, and frankly I'm tempted to ask them their grades, but the prof is nice to me so I really can't see her cracking down on me because I'm a guy. It'll make a funny story some day, got all A's except in that darn women's studies.

Lol, actually I'm better at non science courses, I wouldn't have been able to keep a 4.0 if I was bad at nonscience courses, but I'm willing to admit that maybe I could be a little more interested in WST. It's just that I'm a really good writer, and this is a 100 level class. I read what a lot of the Freshman submit, and frankly I'm tempted to ask them their grades, but the prof is nice to me so I really can't see her cracking down on me because I'm a guy. It'll make a funny story some day, got all A's except in that darn women's studies.

haha. I can certainly relate. My BCPM is a 4.0 but my overall is a 3.7 and all my Bs were in humanities and liberal arts courses. It came up during my interview. I just told the guy it was hard to make myself study for an American litterature course when I had a nuclear and particle physics test coming up the next week ( I'm so glad to be done with physics). The guy chuckled and moved right on to a different topic.

haha. I can certainly relate. My BCPM is a 4.0 but my overall is a 3.7 and all my Bs were in humanities and liberal arts courses. It came up during my interview. I just told the guy it was hard to make myself study for an American litterature course when I had a nuclear and particle physics test coming up the next week ( I'm so glad to be done with physics). The guy chuckled and moved right on to a different topic.

Rock on with Yale! Its my last interview, in a couple weeks. Have they already started accepting, or were a EDP guy? Yale was my dream school growing up, loved their system of learning.

I was interviewed by a female student once. Little did I know that she received one of the highest step scores in the schools history. She seemed very nice at the interview. However, I could just imagine her scoffing at my GPA and MCAT privately. She did seem to like something she saw though since she seemed to be making eyes at me the whole time.:love:

Rock on with Yale! Its my last interview, in a couple weeks. Have they already started accepting, or were a EDP guy? Yale was my dream school growing up, loved their system of learning.

Yep I was an EDP applicant. It is my dream school also. I almost lived there as a kid when my father was a resident. I wanted to be just like him :D. Congrats on getting the interview and Good luck. make sure they know how passionate you are about the school and why and evrything will be ok. Hopefully I will meet you in person at orientation this summer :thumbup:.

Last edited:
I put down Male Doctor/Professor simply because those interviews have went really smoothly so far. HOWEVER, my best interview was with a woman who had a M.S. in neurology. She couldn't get enough of me. :)

I put down Dean/Director of Admissions because it's high risk/high reward. If you knock the interview out of the park, and you have reasonable stats, that's gotta be a huge plus to have the dean advocating your case rather than just a random doctor. I know theoretically they just get one vote like everyone else, but if it's the dean, I imagine he'd be a little more adept at swaying peoples' minds. Of course, it's possible that you fall flat on your face, in which case you're done, but honestly if you have a lackluster interview with anyone, you're gonna have a tough time getting in.

I haven't gotten to formally interview with any deans so far, but I'd really like to. I like interviewing with students cause it's really comfortable, but I also wonder how much clout they have, how much faculty care about their opinion, or how vehemently they'd argue for you at a committee meeting. So I'd much rather have the person with the most influence to argue my case.

I've been lucky enough to interview with deans twice so far (once because I was randomly scheduled to interview with him, the other time because my interviewer didn't show and so I needed a replacement), and they were two of my best interviews. I came out really feeling like they asked questions that really let them know what they needed and would allow them to advocate for me well. That's not to say my normal faculty interviews haven't gone well, but I felt more confident coming out of my interviews with the deans.

Now another question I find interesting is who do you like best: MD, MD/PhD, PhD, or student?