Who else here is an idiot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gosh, here I am spending an extra year to repair the errors of my past but I essentially guarantee that somewhere down the line I'm going to get my @$$ knocked down again. I'm only taking three courses this quarter, but those three are have enough kick in them to take down an elephant.

Human Anatomy/Physiology + 8hr lab - Taught by a hard@$$ professor who most people have violent feelings towards.

Behavioral Control System - The professor calls the hardest class I've ever taken (Action Potentials And Membranes) BASIC!

Population Genetics - I heard there's a ton of math involved that ruins a person's day.

..I don't know.. I'm the type of person where I can't choose the easy courses.. I need to always run my head against the wall until one of us breaks down. Anyone else here the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes! That sounds rough.:eek:

I usually pick 3 classes in my majors and 1 "fun" class that's a little bit easier to lighten the load. This year I'm slacking off and only taking 2 major courses:

Drugs and the Brain (hard, technical neuropsychopharm course)
Biopsych of Normal and Abnormal Behavior

Plus 2 fun courses:

Greek Mythology (fun course and a distribution requirement)
Human Bonding (yeah, baby!)

But yeah, I knew how you felt when I was taking biochem, physics, and a crazy neurobio course at the same time. Fun stuff. Try not to kill yourself. :D

Anatomy + lab, microbio + lab and genetics here. Fun, fun......

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's hear it for club masochist!

3 chem engineering classes (bioengineering, unit ops, and process design), plus genetics and neuroanatomy. That, and two jobs (I start my second job this weekend). Sleep is for cowards!!!

Organic Chem 1, Bio 2, Intro to Statistics, and an upper division course called "Medical Ethnobotany" which is taught by this REALLY cool professor that everyone in the Integrative Biology department loves. Despite the O-chem and Bio, I'm still having a really good time this semester and I feel like I'm learning a lot. I'm also starting my own organization on campus this semester so that's taking up lots of time. It's the 6th week of school already...that's what I can't believe...where did all that time go? lol

Biochem, Analytical Chem, and Cell bio this semester, and weight-training. ha.. and I love all my classes ( I am suprised to find I love my biochem class ). TTSD, I completely understand how you feel about taking challenging classes, but I also love the feeling that I am so busy all the time. Time flies quick and two more months and I graduate. yay!

TTSD, I'm right there with you. I'm taking second semester physics, which was fine until last week, when our professor started breaking out with the hard core calculus (which I haven't seen in about four years). I'm also taking a comp. sci. class that has 6 hours of lab a week, but seems to suck up another 6 hours at home. And then there's the upper division english class that has 8 novels and a reader for the reading list. Finally, I'm taking Taekwondo and a stretch class, which I love and seems to be helping with the stress level.

But yes, I often feel like the villiage idiot in my classes, esp. physics lately. It doesn't help that I'm behind on the reading, mostly b'c I hate reading physics books.

Oh ya, and I work, too. There should be a little yawn smilie.

Nanon

I am an idiot although not for any of the reasons mentioned above...there are plenty of other reasons to substantiate my claim though...one of which is my desire to get 50 posts so that i can change my avatar... I am such a dork.

We have all had days or weeks or semesters when we thought we were idiots! But you know, in the long run, it's not so bad and we still achieved our goals. It's part of life's not-always-so-friendly lessons.

Can I join the idiot club?:D
Here's my masochist story:
Summer after my soph year, I took O-chem II at a university 1 hour from my house (closest one that offered what i needed), so including traveleing time, my week equalled:
8:30am-4:30pm O-lab
5:30pm-10:00pm O-chem lecture
(that was MW, &F)
Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I worked, studied, and prepared for the August MCAT- woohoo!

Well, I suppose that isn't so bad b/c I know that there are plenty of hard-workers out there, but my second semester last year was so crazy I think it made me anal for life:p
I was taking II Semester Anatomy & Physiology (along with Physics II and Clinical Physiology, as well as preparing for the April MCAT), and in the middle of the neuro unit, I broke one of the fingers in my writing hand during an IM flag football game (semifinals- a heartbreaker! :p ). We had an A & P test the next day, so my friend and I studied in the emergency room where we waited for 3 hours and I had to bubble in circles with my left hand the next day. The day after the test, we had spring break (just a short break- not Easter break), and when I returned the doctor said the fracture in my finger had slipped out of place and not healed right, so he broke it again in his office (yeah novacain- great for muscles but not much for bone pain :p); that week, we had a lab practical, and since that involved writing, I had to stay after everyone else was done and dictate the answers to my incredibly intimidating prof by myself as I rotated around the room (I was like, um, arachnoid villi?? (very weak and terrified voice :rolleyes: ). ANYWAY, the saga isn't quite over yet- so, all that having past- I went home for Easter break, when my parents insisted I have their hand surgeon friend take a look at my finger b/c it wasn't looking normal. He freaked (ok, not really, but I had surgery 2 days later), and my finger was again broken and bound -this all one week before the MCAT. SO after that traumatizing semester, I by God's grace ended up with an A in Clin. Phys., a B in Physics, a B- in A&P II, and 2 points improvement on the MCAT. End of story and I am presently waiting to hear back from interviews- ahhh! :clap:

Organic Chem I & lab, Genetics, Phys/Mechanics, and Environmental Toxicology, plus genetics lab, intro bio lab II, and fencing:p. Plus, 15 hours of work/week in a lab.

Originally posted by vixenell
Organic Chem I & lab, Genetics, Phys/Mechanics, and Environmental Toxicology, plus genetics lab, intro bio lab II, and fencing:p. Plus, 15 hours of work/week in a lab.

Keep that coffee brewing!

Originally posted by vixenell

*Ouch* Man. I feel for you!

OChem is just a bitch, no two ways about it and a generally unpleasant course unless you're left brain dominant and a masochist. Genetics is boring as heck really. Physics? BOOOOOOOOOOORING! Except if your teacher brings in a .22 rifle to demonstrate collisions.. LOL. Entox I hear can be a challenging class. The Physicians Desk Reference is your friend.. and ochem is very helpful indeed.

Fencing? I want to take fencing!! :-\

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome to first year of med school!!!:D :D :D

These schedules will probably be nothing compared to the first semester as an MSI. So I say.... Enjoy and have fun:laugh:

I nominate myself as a non-trad idiot:

Worked 70 hrs/wk for 5 years building a company as a minority shareholder, so when the company success was finally achieved, the majority shareholder changed his mind and sells the corp. to cash out early. My long term payoff went way down.

Then in Fall 2002:

16 hours including 4 labs: Microbiology, Org I, Human Anatomy, Zoology.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and smarter :D

Originally posted by Amy B
welcome to first year of med school!!!:D :D :D

These schedules will probably be nothing compared to the first semester as an MSI. So I say.... Enjoy and have fun:laugh:

My final term as an undergrad put med school to shame... I just pulled out my transcript so that I can relive the horror. Principles of Biology III, Chemical Engineering Lab II, Process Control II, Chemical Plant Design II, Short Story Writing, Advanced Reactor Design, Advanced Topics in Polymer Physical Chemistry. 23 credits, with three senior level ChemE classes and two graduate level ChemE classes (and two really easy classes, but they still took some time). I slept, on average, three or four hours a night, the entire term, with at least two or three all-nighters a week. Med school doesn't even come close.

Originally posted by sacrament
My final term as an undergrad put med school to shame...

Yeah.. I've looked through old minis from various medschools for first years and outside of some clinical questions.. those questions were pretty basic.

Can I join your M-Club?
Here's my application:

Advanced Electromagnetic Theory, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Biochem, Organic Chem, Advanced Differential Equations.

I thought that this semester would be way too easy, so I decided to take a Philosophy (logic course).

Thanks in advance.

fortunately squat.... has not seen this thread (????)

My worst semester ever was Principles of biology II and lab, microbiology II and lab, Inorganic Chemistry and lab, Intro to C++ programming and Calculus II.
The worst will be next semester, Zoology and lab, botany and lab, genetics and lab, organic chem and lab and differential equations.
this semester: organic I and lab, ecology and lab, multivariable calc, general philosophy, and Speech and I usually work 25hrs a week as well.

let's see..

Bio control system.. the hardest class in existence (well, time consuming). when another student heard I was taking it from that professor, he called me crazy to think of enrolling in a class by that guy.

second semester BME. the BME sequence is plainly miserably impossible.

Materials science.. it was supposed to be real easy, but it turned out to be the MOST impossible class i've taken. not exactly diffficult, but not matter what I did, i got Cs to Fs. whether I studied 4 or 30 hrs/week, i got 50 to 75 %. (an A would be around 93 %.)

and senior level research (suddenly there was a lot to do in lab).

along with looking for a job for after graduation.

You see, the semester before that, I had done absolutely beyond excellent, so I loaded up on ECs, and spent a lot of time in lab.

ah well, in the end I survived. lowest grade point in undergrad (damn Materials science, should have enrolled changed to pass no pass, i would have done wonders for my med school admissions). But in the end, it works out. You're alive :D you've learned hopefully *something*, you've probably improved you're ability to handle demands (that will be useful), at the least, if you did not improved, you've learned what does NOT work (aka, what's making you mess up).

Let's see.....I'm taking this semester,

Evolutionary Analysis (hate this class:mad: ) , Biochemistry, Microbiology + lab, Immunology, Physical Chemistry. And working 15 hrs/wk. Sounds fun :rolleyes:

Originally posted by solid snake
Let's see.....I'm taking this semester,

Evolutionary Analysis (hate this class:mad: ) , Biochemistry, Microbiology + lab, Immunology, Physical Chemistry. And working 15 hrs/wk. Sounds fun :rolleyes:

Aaw.. you don't like evolution? You don't enjoy memorizing at least 10 different species, their bones, distinctive traits, muscle groups the physics of those muscle groups, and their evolutionary predecessors? Good times good times!

You knwo sometimes when we are used to taking heavy loads of courses. It kinda become a routine. Or maybe an "overly engrained routine".

SO, this quarter
I am kicking my own butt (die trying)

Genetics
advanced electromagnetic theory
antenna and wireless propagation
analytical chemistry
prof ethics
physiology and cell biology
math for science and engineering-linear algebra

honors undergrad research
another REU research-10-20 hours a week
Peer mentor for total health (condom demonstration? haha)
BMES involvement

If I don't have a 3.0 this quarter, I am changing my name. Seriously.:p

I'm an idiot because I didn't learn how to read:

Stat HW1:

Pick four articles and tell me what their about blah blah blah

I did three

Stat HW2:

REpeat steps 1-3 for a larger sample size

I did, but didn't write down my answers.

Yes I am officially a ******. Instead of the Metro to get to school, I better start riding the short bus, cuz then I know I'd feel special.

I am an idiot.

Midterm on physiology was at 7:30 am covering chapter 1-4, 6, 8 -8th edition

I was 20 minutes late and I studied for 1-4, 6, 8 but using a different edition (6th edition)! God d*mn $#^%@&%@&@%&!!!!!

Originally posted by Hermeone

If I don't have a 3.0 this quarter, I am changing my name. Seriously.:p

Sounds tough!! Yeah, it's funny isn't it though? Most people will die of shame with a 3.0.. but when you're taking a courseload like that achieving a 3.0 is actually somewhat of a monumental feat and should be a source of pride.