Who gets closest to operating without being a surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't mean to derail the conversation or be snotty, but can we please discuss the original topic?

no

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to derail the conversation or be snotty, but can we please discuss the original topic?

It seems like you have been given good advice. In addition, I think the take home point from all the additional conversation is, there really are no facsimiles for a real surgeon. You may be able to do a little of this or that, but it will be very difficult to "operate" without going through medical school and a surgical residency. Clearly, other providers can perform specific procedures; however, I guarantee you will need at least a couple semesters of college chemistry to even consider applying to these programmes. However, I suspect you may be able to squirm out of chemistry by taking a nursing pathway if you look for nursing programmes that do not require chemistry.

I am still not sure why you are so hung up on chemistry? After all, it was a high school chemistry class. I barely graduated high school with an amazing GPA of under 2. Actually, I am not quite sure how I managed to graduate, thinking back about my days in high school.

However, this has had little impact on my ability to take chemistry courses. Yes, you can expect a fair amount of math and yes, it may be difficult and involve a little studying and work. However, I am confident that you are quite capable of getting though chemistry if this is the only concern. I cannot comment on organic chemistry; however, I suspect the same rules of math, study, and work would still apply.

If my memory serves AMCAS doesn't even ask for high school transcripts, only university. So if you're hung up about a high school chem class don't be.

Members don't see this ad :)
it seems like you have been given good advice. In addition, i think the take home point from all the additional conversation is, there really are no facsimiles for a real surgeon. You may be able to do a little of this or that, but it will be very difficult to "operate" without going through medical school and a surgical residency. Clearly, other providers can perform specific procedures; however, i guarantee you will need at least a couple semesters of college chemistry to even consider applying to these programmes. However, i suspect you may be able to squirm out of chemistry by taking a nursing pathway if you look for nursing programmes that do not require chemistry.

I am still not sure why you are so hung up on chemistry? After all, it was a high school chemistry class. I barely graduated high school with an amazing gpa of under 2. Actually, i am not quite sure how i managed to graduate, thinking back about my days in high school.

However, this has had little impact on my ability to take chemistry courses. Yes, you can expect a fair amount of math and yes, it may be difficult and involve a little studying and work. However, i am confident that you are quite capable of getting though chemistry if this is the only concern. I cannot comment on organic chemistry; however, i suspect the same rules of math, study, and work would still apply.

deep:)

Remember that the required GPA of 2.8, the minimum C for classes ... those are stated as minimum requirements for those programs, but in no way describes the typical matriculation. You also have to factor in the healthcare experience requirements that the more reputable programs still adhere to.

I have the Blueprints Step 2 Q&A for review material, because that's about the level we're at (I'm in my clinical rotation year). Add on the extra step of training at the MD/DO level, plus the residency, and there you have what makes a doctor. Physiology is one of my greatest loves, and I thought I knew it all until I sat in on grand rounds.

However, as for the "much more detail" aspect in its entirety, please explain that to the young MD attending who told me that "in no way does food poisoning ever present with fever" ... it was so easy for me to grab my large text to show her that indeed, depending on the bug, it can. Of course that's not the usual, but we all have more to learn no matter our title.

As the pediatrician of 40 years who I rotated under so succinctly stated, "I know but a drop of water in the bucket that is pediatrics".

Your attitude is really annoying.