Who gets interview invites first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If two people’s applications were complete on the same day for the same school and one got an interview invite first, does that mean the second applicant is less competitive?

What about two otherwise identical applicants that complete their applications 2+ weeks apart? Do they get interviews at different times as well?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
This question is also haunting me a little. In some school-specific forums, people who submitted weeks or even months after me are getting interviews before me, even though we have similar stats at best, or their stats are less "competitive". I understand for some state schools that IS students are considered before OOS students, but these applicants getting interviews are OOS for these respective schools as well. I'm starting to worry if I had a serious red flag somewhere in my application I didn't catch, even though I sent it to multiple people for review and made sure to review it plenty myself. Going a bit stir crazy with all this waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
trust the process...

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of the day, no predental student or even dental students can truly verify this question. And whoever can, can only really do so for their particular school. Every program is different, every adcoms is made up of different people... who really knows.. What is your gpa?? your DAT is perhaps one of the most impressive I have seen... unless you have no shadowing and no volunteering then I can almost guarantee that you will get interviews. people are getting them with GPAs of 3.2 and 19 AA dats... The SDNers can build up your confidence by giving you positive feedback but at the end of the day, many of us are in the same boat as you...

This question is also haunting me a little. In some school-specific forums, people who submitted weeks or even months after me are getting interviews before me, even though we have similar stats at best, or their stats are less "competitive". I understand for some state schools that IS students are considered before OOS students, but these applicants getting interviews are OOS for these respective schools as well. I'm starting to worry if I had a serious red flag somewhere in my application I didn't catch, even though I sent it to multiple people for review and made sure to review it plenty myself. Going a bit stir crazy with all this waiting!

You'll be just fine! I get into that same thought process, but the apps and interview invites are all delayed this cycle. Like the 2thdoc said, it's also all too unpredictable. Give it another few months and then you can panic all you want haha

Y'all who keep making these "worry" posts are annoying... The application cycle practically just started and its already delayed by 2 weeks because of covid. No one on this website knows exactly why people are getting interview invites before other people (unless they are actually on an admissions committee).
Just focus on staying safe, not spreading covid, your schoolwork (if youre in school), and other things in general that will make you a better applicant. Worry will only cause harm.... Its only August. There are tons of people who are still waiting to take their DAT for the first time.... You can get an interview in February and be accepted in early March and still have time to plan for fall... STOP WORRYING and TRUST THE PROCESS.

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all who keep making these "worry" posts are annoying... The application cycle practically just started and its already delayed by 2 weeks because of covid. No one on this website knows exactly why people are getting interview invites before other people (unless they are actually on an admissions committee).
Just focus on staying safe, not spreading covid, your schoolwork (if youre in school), and other things in general that will make you a better applicant. Worry will only cause harm.... Its only August. There are tons of people who are still waiting to take their DAT for the first time.... You can get an interview in February and be accepted in early March and still have time to plan for fall... STOP WORRYING and TRUST THE PROCESS.
wellll isn’t the whole point of forums like SDN to be able to vent and find others to commiserate with you? Sorry it’s annoying to hear about people’s anxieties... but your words are still helpful and I’m grateful that 0mik3cho started this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 2 users
wellll isn’t the whole point of forums like SDN to be able to vent and find others to commiserate with you? Sorry it’s annoying to hear about people’s anxieties... but your words are still helpful and I’m grateful that 0mik3cho started this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think the reasoning behind why it's a little annoying is because you and 0mik3cho have above average stats and really have no reason to worry.. Also asking questions that no body can really answer (besides each individual adcom) doesn't get you anywhere.. but by all means if posting in these threads help calm your nerves, go for it.

Reactions: 5 users
If two people’s applications were complete on the same day for the same school and one got an interview invite first, does that mean the second applicant is less competitive?

What about two otherwise identical applicants that complete their applications 2+ weeks apart? Do they get interviews at different times as well?
Nah, it’s easier said than done but try not to read into things like this. I had high stats and submitted early and was nowhere near the first round of invites for more than a couple schools, but was still accepted to a bunch of schools on Dec 2nd. The app cycle is the Wild West so just hang tight

I think this thread has merit and expanding on this might gives better insight on why similar applications with excellent stats be treated differently when one is given an invite and the other is skipped but is later revisited to be given a chance for an interview.

Schools invite the people they like the most first. It’s as simple as that. There’s a lot more to dental applicants than grades and test scores.

Reactions: 1 user
The answer is it depends on the school. In my experience, if you had a strong app and applied early you’ll likely be in one of the first rounds of interviews. However, state schools sometimes separate IS from OOS interviews, so you may get an interview early or later in the cycle depending on the order these schools interview these groups. But keep in mind, it doesn’t matter what group your in, if you don’t interview well. So this should be your bigger focus- doing well on the interview. And also it’s not always an advantage to be in the first round. Depending on the school, sometimes I think it’s more of an advantage if you’re actually among one of the last interviews in december-march (assuming you’re not interviewing to be an alternate), since often at this point they’re just trying to fill up their class, so if you can make any sort of good impression they’ll likely try to snatch you up quickly (sometimes within 24 hours) before you take acceptance elsewhere.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools invite the people they like the most first. It’s as simple as that. There’s a lot more to dental applicants than grades and test scores.
Now I know how contestants on The Bachelorette feel. Except I’m not a hunk.

• Haha
I can tell you that there are plenty of applicants with good sGPA and tDAT who are not invited for interview, especially when applying to schools looking holistically at apps.

Examples of criteria that will keep individual apps from getting an interview: lack of shadow/dental experience, lack of work experience, uneven academic performance (with exception to rising GPA’s and staying strong at the end, or doing well in a masters), good academics but nothing else (service, etc), very light course loads, poor PS or doesn’t match personal experiences, weak LORs.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to git gud to get interview invites. MLG gang baby.

You have to git gud to get interview invites. MLG gang baby.

Thanks XxX_69Likkriue_xXx.

The timing of interview invites will see very weird to everyone not directly involved in the process. Just don’t sweat it and don’t compare yourself to anyone else. You’ll get your interview invites eventually. Might not be first round or second round and that’s okay.

Reactions: 2 users

I found the best way to manage the stress is to go outside in the morning calm. Birds singing as the sun cracks the horizon, light rays spilling through the trees, glistening over dewdrops with hues of pink and gold, turn... and scream as loud as you can until your vocal cords rip into confetti.

I found the best way to manage the stress is to go outside in the morning calm. Birds singing as the sun cracks the horizon, light rays spilling through the trees, glistening over dewdrops with hues of pink and gold, turn... and scream as loud as you can until your vocal cords rip into confetti.
This reads like a response to some secondary question "How do you manage stress" and it’s beautiful.

It's very weird... My cousin applied in the beginning of the cycle and she has not received anything. I applied at around mid August and so far I got two interviews. I can tell you that my stats/activities are better than hers but she applied at least two months earlier than me.

But hey, don't worry! A LOT of schools don't start sending out interviews until September or October! Just find something that will steer you away from this stressful waiting game! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
At least for dual programs like MSTP or DDS/PhD (I just saw this is a dental forum), your application will often be directed to different committees for review depending on your research interests. I imagine it's possible that applications could be disseminated/redirected based on other attributes as well. Being reviewed by different committees will add to variation in interview invite dates.

After 100+ hours reading, thinking, researching and recall my experiences. I think the answer is just like you find boy/girl friends. When you see his/her stats, you immediately ranked them in three level.
First level person, make a date immediately, this is the Mr. Ms. Right. If you got a date, 40 - 60 % chance you get acceptation.
2nd level, he/she seems ok. I just add he/she to candidate list. Not all person on the list will get a interview. If person like @zdoq, @0Mik3cho, who has best stats finally get a interview after long time waiting, it is still ok to get an acceptation. If you are not luck, even you have GPA 4.0, DAT 27, no interview. In the list, some school use last name to arrange interview, some just random, some depend on you keep on contacting them or not.
3 level, this guy is not acceptable. Reject immediately, or forget immediately.

In November, it is very hard to know you are put in 2nd level or 3rd level, unless some kind school like UCSF gave you rejection letter.