Who got in... and felt lucky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wdup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel very lucky that I got into med school... even tho of course, we all think we deserve it. Who feels the same?

Members don't see this ad.

i felt lucky to get some of the interview invites that i got and very lucky to get one particular acceptance that i got.

LauraMac said:
i felt lucky to get some of the interview invites that i got and very lucky to get one particular acceptance that i got.
I am borderline jealous of some of your interviews and that one acceptance you speak of. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely feel very lucky to have been accepted. Especially considering I haven't even had an interview anywhere else.

Me=

White male, decent grades, decent MCAT, science major, 21-23 y/o

I feel VERY lucky

Yes I feel very lucky at times....very grateful.....but in the end, it doesnt matter so much....getting in is what matters in the end

Me.....felt very lucky, and blessed to get into med school. The only school I wanted to go to also.

yeah..even though i deserved it, there has to be some element of luck especially since the school i got into had 9000 applicants for 100 seats and i was amongst the 20 out-of-staters at another school.

Wdup said:
I feel very lucky that I got into med school... even tho of course, we all think we deserve it. Who feels the same?

I feel extremely lucky to get in. I had okay GPA but low MCAT and I get emotoional thinking how it all worked out.

i am very lucky. 3 interviews out of 20 schools. only 1 acceptance so far. now it's time to party!!!

I do feel lucky, or blessed, or whatever. 5 apps, 2 interviews, 1 acceptance so far. I also feel shocked. Still. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Low gpa, good MCAT, great ECs

Applied to 6 schools, 1 interview, 1 acceptance

Damn, I feel very lucky.

Congratulation to all who got in a medical school. These medical schools should feel honor to have you guys as their students. You are what is going to carry the school name in the future.

As for me, I do not feel lucky. I knew I was going to get into a medical school from the start with complete confidence, and I got in. It wasn't a question of "if I get into a medical school or not?", but a question of "which school will I get into?". I supposed if you got into a school that has higher stat than your stat, you would feel lucky, but this is totally BS. What defines a person is more than just their scores and numbers. So if you get in, you deserved it.

xadmin said:
Congratulation to all who got in a medical school. These medical schools should feel honor to have you guys as their students. You are what is going to carry the school name in the future.

As for me, I do not feel lucky. I knew I was going to get into a medical school from the start with complete confidence, and I got in. It wasn't a question of "if I get into a medical school or not?", but a question of "which school will I get into?". I supposed if you got into a school that has higher stat than your stat, you would feel lucky, but this is totally BS. What defines a person is more than just their scores and numbers. So if you get in, you deserved it.

yes, but in light of the fact that many people are equally as deserving for not enough spots, it makes sense to feel a bit lucky. :luck:

I FRICKEN LOVE THAT LAST POSTERS AVATAR!!!!!

I should change mine to dr. patrick!!! :)

sk1684 said:
yeah..even though i deserved it, there has to be some element of luck

Yes, I think in general those of us accepted are all lucky in a way, I mean the process is such a crapshoot...I hate to say it, but there are so many qualified people, just because we're accepted doesnt make us any better than someone who didnt get accepted yet....maybe they just weren't as lucky? So many factors, who knows..... :confused:

I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work and hard play. I know this sounds like I'm a *******. but I feel like an acceptance is part of a whole pie. like for example my app is 65% of the application, 30% of my interview, and 5% of my rapport/re-app to the school. I don't think that's there's any percentage left to be given to "luck" I can see where u all are getting that from. but I just don't feel it. this might be the first post I've had that I've gone against the grain, no trollin here. just brute honesty.

virilep said:
I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work and hard play. I know this sounds like I'm a *******. but I feel like an acceptance is part of a whole pie. like for example my app is 65% of the application, 30% of my interview, and 5% of my rapport/re-app to the school. I don't think that's there's any percentage left to be given to "luck" I can see where u all are getting that from. but I just don't feel it. this might be the first post I've had that I've gone against the grain, no trollin here. just brute honesty.

But by you saying this, does it mean that you think that people who are not accepted, deserve not to be accepted because they are not qualified and have not worked hard enough? Do you think this whole app process follows a standard formula for accepting, waitlisting, and rejecting applicants? It just doesnt seem like a black and white issue...

last year, I thought I was supposed to be accepted. but it wasn't my time. so I wasn't. I accept the fact and now I'm doin somethin pretty cool. so maybe it was meant to be. I didn't say that people that don't get accepted don't deserve to be accepted. I'm a big advocate of "it's not a question of if, but rather when" the whole app process is definately not standard. has so many factors, but i don't think "luck" is one of them.

I agree with you that if an applicant is really qualified, it is a question of "when" and not "if".....but I think there's also a point where two applicants are the same, and there's simply not enough seats to accomodate both, and so for one to get in that year, maybe it can be said that person worked hard for that seat, and/or maybe there was luck involved.....but yes, that other person who had the same qualifications wasn't accepted this year, but will be next year.....in that case, they're lucky too! :cool:

I feel deserving of what I got, but mostly extremely lucky. That luck didn't translate too well into luck at Vegas, but oh well. I'd take the acceptance over that dumb $50 bet on black any day :thumbup:

Wdup said:
Who got in... and felt lucky?

I got lucky, in that at one school my interviewer was unavailable that day (nice scheduling...?!?!). The replacement interviewer was a perfect fit for me, we had a great conversation, and it's the obvious reason why I got in! Who knows what woulda happened if I didn't get in...!

Yeah, I don't normally believe in "luck," but I feel damn lucky this year to get into my dream school. :love:

I definitely feel lucky considering I have no typical premed clinical experience, volunteering, or research. Plus, I get very mixed reactions on the stuff that I have accomplished.

wow, you're dope. i'm lucky.