Who got in with August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start one of these but I was just wondering how many people have gotten acceptances after taking the August Mcat. If possible, can you include your scores and such?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You mean August MCAT or September MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not understanding what your question is. Your thread title says "with August MCAT" but your posts says "after August MCAT". Ideally, you'd want to take the MCAT by June or maybe July. Taking it in August would put you at a slight disadvantage and taking it in September would give you a slim chance at most medical schools.

i did, but i really dont recommend it. i got really lucky

I took the August 20th MCAT and am doing fine this cycle - but that was because I wanted to wait until I finished summer classes. Might've gone earlier if I'd had the option.

I think having a 3.98 and a 39 MCAT may have played some supporting role behind the "luck"

what if you take an earlier MCAT in like May or June and your AMCAS is already complete except for your scores..... then you get your scores back and you want to retake it in August....how does that work w/ the application process? do you j ust notify the schools and they won't make a decision til your next score is in?

I took mine August 9th, and got a 36. Currently, I've been accepted at Wash U, Vanderbilt, and UMDNJ with a scholarship, and on waitlists for Johns Hopkins, UVA, Cornell, and Upenn. I also applied (2ndries) primarily in September and October. In fact, I think I submitted my Wash U 2ndry in early November, but they still accepted me. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the "early is better" idea, but perhaps my waitlists would have been acceptances if I applied/took the mcat earlier.

I took mine August 9th, and got a 36. Currently, I've been accepted at Wash U, Vanderbilt, and UMDNJ with a scholarship, and on waitlists for Johns Hopkins, UVA, Cornell, and Upenn. I also applied (2ndries) primarily in September and October. In fact, I think I submitted my Wash U 2ndry in early November, but they still accepted me. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the "early is better" idea, but perhaps my waitlists would have been acceptances if I applied/took the mcat earlier.

if you had got a 30 instead of a 36.....i imagine your expereince with applying late would have been a lot different. since no one should bank on getting a 36......just apply early. from the info i have gathered, it does make a difference.

Same here. Took the September 6th or 7th MCAT. I've been fortunate. 3 acceptances, 1 WL, and I just got another interview invite today. But I really really really wouldn't advise taking the test in August or September. I didn't get to apply to some schools that I liked b/c AMCAS didn't have my app verified in time, and there were a few schools who didn't even look at my application b/c it was too late. Also, 2 of the schools that I did interview at were for WL spots.

I took the August 20th MCAT and have been offered multiple acceptances.

32MCAT, 3.85 GPA

I would suggest taking a little earlier though in case you need to retake it.

August 16 MCAT.

avg. GPA, MCAT above avg for matriculants.

Accepted.

I'd take it earlier though because I would have had a lot easier time getting interviews if I'd have taken the MCAT in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
what if you take an earlier MCAT in like May or June and your AMCAS is already complete except for your scores..... then you get your scores back and you want to retake it in August....how does that work w/ the application process? do you j ust notify the schools and they won't make a decision til your next score is in?

This was my case. I simply contacted all my schools and they put my file on hold pending the release of my second set of scores. I received interview invites immediately after they were released.

I think having a 3.98 and a 39 MCAT may have played some supporting role behind the "luck"

late mcat led to doing the applications late, led to me not finding out problems with my interfolio account(damn interfolio), led to my tmdsas not getting done. getting an acceptance to the schools i ended up applying to was pretty lucky

Took the MCAT mid-August, scored a 35Q. Accepted at UCSF and Cornell, waitlisted at Yale.

Took the MCAT August 9

27P

Accepted to;

UCONN
UPITT
Albert Einstein

I did. But instead of polling a few people, maybe you should follow the "apply as early as possible" advice that every person agrees with. If August is the the earliest you can take the MCAT, what good does it do you to poll about it?

I did. But instead of polling a few people, maybe you should follow the "apply as early as possible" advice that every person agrees with. If August is the the earliest you can take the MCAT, what good does it do you to poll about it?

It gives me faith and a bit of hope. I'm doing an abroad program in Europe to study their Universal Health-care program for a month in june, taking an mcat course july and august. The test i plan to take is at the very end of august. I know a poll wont help much, but it does a little.

It gives me faith and a bit of hope. I'm doing an abroad program in Europe to study their Universal Health-care program for a month in june, taking an mcat course july and august. The test i plan to take is at the very end of august. I know a poll wont help much, but it does a little.

I don't know if you can still do anything about it at this point, (i.e., I don't know if it's too late to sign up for an earlier date), but if so, I would STRONGLY advise you to do so. Strictly considering your chances of getting into med school this year, it would be better for you to drop out of the MCAT prep course now, sign up to take the test a month earlier, (optimally, a couple of months earlier), and just study as steadily as you can from now until the test, than to go forward with your current plan. Especially if you are at all picky about where you go. This is just my opinion.

I am pretty confident when I say that it would be better for you to take the test in May or June (or even July) and make a 30 or 31, than to take it in late August and make a 33 or 34. This is just simply considering the liklihood of being accepted.

Sure there may be schools that you have your heart set on that you must have a 34+ MCAT in order to be accepted, and if this is the case, those extra few points may be vital. But I would caution you by saying that NOTHING is guaranteed. Until you know your MCAT score, you should go into this process with the attitude that you will feel honored to get in anywhere...because there are many many people who don't. And you should, if at all possible, do what it takes to maximize you chances.

I don't know if you can still do anything about it at this point, (i.e., I don't know if it's too late to sign up for an earlier date), but if so, I would STRONGLY advise you to do so. Strictly considering your chances of getting into med school this year, it would be better for you to drop out of the MCAT prep course now, sign up to take the test a month earlier, (optimally, a couple of months earlier), and just study as steadily as you can from now until the test, than to go forward with your current plan. Especially if you are at all picky about where you go. This is just my opinion.

I am pretty confident when I say that it would be better for you to take the test in May or June (or even July) and make a 30 or 31, than to take it in late August and make a 33 or 34. This is just simply considering the liklihood of being accepted.

Sure there may be schools that you have your heart set on that you must have a 34+ MCAT in order to be accepted, and if this is the case, those extra few points may be vital. But I would caution you by saying that NOTHING is guaranteed. Until you know your MCAT score, you should go into this process with the attitude that you will feel honored to get in anywhere...because there are many many people who don't. And you should, if at all possible, do what it takes to maximize you chances.

Thanks, I feel like if I were to take it in June or July, I wont have enough time to study and will probably do badly. I know that the sooner the better. BIG SIGH. I should just open those examkrackers and start now.

I took the test in mid-August and wasn't 'complete' at most schools until late October. I have average MCAT and GPA, but lots of ECs. I have 3 acceptances and a few waitlists. While I think taking the test early would be ideal, I also think doing something different during the summer will set you apart.

I agree. I think what separates the masses of competitive applicants when it really comes down to it are experiences like you are having in Europe this summer that show that you didn't just follow the cookie-cutter pre-med path, and are truly interested in medicine and health systems. Balance applying as early as possible with having the best application possible. I think really succeeding in your summertime activity + a higher MCAT score is more important than applying only a month or so earlier. If you have the rest of your AMCAS ready to go IMMEDIATELY when the scores come in, and have all of your automatic secondary essays completed before they are even requested (somewhere on SDN there is a listing of secondary questions for every school) you really should be fine.

I think a 30 versus a 35 on the MCAT is just as significant as a July/August versus September AMCAS completion date. At least Ad Coms can look at your late date of application and say, oh, they were in Europe doing this cool activity and didn't take the MCAT until August, cool. With a low MCAT score, they are just going to think you, well, got a low MCAT score.

Sorry to start one of these but I was just wondering how many people have gotten acceptances after taking the August Mcat. If possible, can you include your scores and such?

Thanks!

NOT Me!!!!!

I took the last July MCAT (34), but my letters of rec pushed me back another month and I managed to get in (with a low GPA).

I took August 6th MCAT and got in. It can be done...