I took mine August 9th, and got a 36. Currently, I've been accepted at Wash U, Vanderbilt, and UMDNJ with a scholarship, and on waitlists for Johns Hopkins, UVA, Cornell, and Upenn. I also applied (2ndries) primarily in September and October. In fact, I think I submitted my Wash U 2ndry in early November, but they still accepted me. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the "early is better" idea, but perhaps my waitlists would have been acceptances if I applied/took the mcat earlier.
i did, but i really dont recommend it. i got really lucky
what if you take an earlier MCAT in like May or June and your AMCAS is already complete except for your scores..... then you get your scores back and you want to retake it in August....how does that work w/ the application process? do you j ust notify the schools and they won't make a decision til your next score is in?
I think having a 3.98 and a 39 MCAT may have played some supporting role behind the "luck"
I did. But instead of polling a few people, maybe you should follow the "apply as early as possible" advice that every person agrees with. If August is the the earliest you can take the MCAT, what good does it do you to poll about it?
It gives me faith and a bit of hope. I'm doing an abroad program in Europe to study their Universal Health-care program for a month in june, taking an mcat course july and august. The test i plan to take is at the very end of august. I know a poll wont help much, but it does a little.
I don't know if you can still do anything about it at this point, (i.e., I don't know if it's too late to sign up for an earlier date), but if so, I would STRONGLY advise you to do so. Strictly considering your chances of getting into med school this year, it would be better for you to drop out of the MCAT prep course now, sign up to take the test a month earlier, (optimally, a couple of months earlier), and just study as steadily as you can from now until the test, than to go forward with your current plan. Especially if you are at all picky about where you go. This is just my opinion.
I am pretty confident when I say that it would be better for you to take the test in May or June (or even July) and make a 30 or 31, than to take it in late August and make a 33 or 34. This is just simply considering the liklihood of being accepted.
Sure there may be schools that you have your heart set on that you must have a 34+ MCAT in order to be accepted, and if this is the case, those extra few points may be vital. But I would caution you by saying that NOTHING is guaranteed. Until you know your MCAT score, you should go into this process with the attitude that you will feel honored to get in anywhere...because there are many many people who don't. And you should, if at all possible, do what it takes to maximize you chances.