Who has been rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeluveyez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know I have been hearing good news of people acceptance to school but I know not everyone get admitted because there only a limited of students in each school so I would like to hear stories of people not making it in their school, so maybe it can help us all out and learn from each other

Members don't see this ad.

Same here! Share any stories in which you were not accepted and what you did to re apply?

You know I have been hearing good news of people acceptance to school but I know not everyone get admitted because there only a limited of students in each school so I would like to hear stories of people not making it in their school, so maybe it can help us all out and learn from each other

I was rejected from Pacific cause my science GPA was too low. I was wait-listed at a couple others, but wasn't told why, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a sGPA below 3.0 and was accepted.

If you get called for an interview at Pacific your numbers are around what they want. They are VERY open about the purpose of their interview.

Honestly, the whole day is an interview. They want people that they want to work with. That is why the students and the staff play pretty big roles in the entire day and why students sit on the admission panel.

I was at my interview day with an aquaintance who had numbers quite better than mine, yet still didn't get in.

great, so it's a popularity contest? that makes me nervous because i get shy in groups. so at pacific about how large of a group are you with during interview day-how many professors, students, and other interviewees? and i know the interview is with 2-3 people, but is there also a group interview where you get asked questions along with the other interviewees? and i guess you have lunch with everyone and small chat? man, i hate small chat!

great, so it's a popularity contest? that makes me nervous because i get shy in groups. so at pacific about how large of a group are you with during interview day-how many professors, students, and other interviewees? and i know the interview is with 2-3 people, but is there also a group interview where you get asked questions along with the other interviewees? and i guess you have lunch with everyone and small chat? man, i hate small chat!

Most of life is interacting with people, including your/our chosen profession. So if you can't handle a group setup for interview, how are you going to handle classes, labs, and eventually examining, say, a child with a neurotic mother who won't stop asking questions?

I had a sGPA below 3.0 and was accepted.

If you get called for an interview at Pacific your numbers are around what they want. They are VERY open about the purpose of their interview.

Honestly, the whole day is an interview. They want people that they want to work with. That is why the students and the staff play pretty big roles in the entire day and why students sit on the admission panel.

I was at my interview day with an aquaintance who had numbers quite better than mine, yet still didn't get in.

Everyone is different, I asked for specific feedback on why I was rejected from Pacific and they said my interview was really good, but my science GPA was too low- 2.8. I was kind of frustrated that they basically wasted my time and money when they already knew my GPA. Also your interviewers don't decide your fate, they write feedback on your interview and then your file gets sent to the actual admissions committee and that committee decides based on EVERYTHING in your profile. It's kind of luck to be honest, if you get an interviewer that REALLY likes you, then you probably have a better chance, but all in all, they want people with high GPA/OAT scores.

Last edited:

Yes be prepared because Pacific's interview day was more intense than any other school I went to! The entire day is SO long, I think it ends around 4pm. It starts with going into a classroom, then tours, then lunch where you chat with students, then more tours, then the official interview. Ya lunch kind of ends up being an interview as well...so learn to small chat lol.

Umm, interviews are not popularity contests. are job interviews popularity contests? they are selecting the best candidates with many criteria considered, many of which include your ability to interact with patients and the importance of making a good first impression.

And newsflash, 30 min. exams include pretty much nothing but chit-chat. If you're lucky, you'll see this person for 30 mins. once a year...believe it or not, this amount of time will not lead to life altering friendships. If that's something you hate, you need to seriously reconsider your career path, and think about a desk job (which I would personally hate)

If it were a popularity contest I don't think anyone would get in, face it, we aren't really cool. :laugh:

Frankly, if you get shy you're going to have to push through that otherwise school/the profession will be unpleasant.

My interview was 2 people; a student and an administrator. The day is long, but I appreciated it since this was one of my only peeks into things before I decide to spend $30k+/year with them. To me, schools need to show me why I want to come there just as much as the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the comments everyone. i guess i should clarify that i hate chit chatting in large groups on a stressful day when people are judging me and while waiting for hours to do the official interview. i actually work as an optician right now and love talking with patients one-on-one.once i get to know people i'm fine. i just get nervous at first in groups. besides, i'll get over it :)

Everyone is different, I asked for specific feedback on why I was rejected from Pacific and they said my interview was really good, but my science GPA was too low- 2.8. I was kind of frustrated that they basically wasted my time and money when they already knew my GPA. Also your interviewers don't decide your fate, they write feedback on your interview and then your file gets sent to the actual admissions committee and that committee decides based on EVERYTHING in your profile. It's kind of luck to be honest, if you get an interviewer that REALLY likes you, then you probably have a better chance, but all in all, they want people with high GPA/OAT scores.

My gpa is around there too :( thats why I'm working on bringing it up but how did you get 5 schools to call you in for interview with that gpa ( since my gpa is low, I'm just worried that no schools would call me for an interview)

what school did you decide to go to?

My gpa is around there too :( thats why I'm working on bringing it up but how did you get 5 schools to call you in for interview with that gpa ( since my gpa is low, I'm just worried that no schools would call me for an interview)

what school did you decide to go to?

Actually 6? PCO, SCCO, Western, UIW, Pacific, NOVA...most every school I applied to besides Berk. I guess what people should realize is that AN INTERVIEW INVITATION IS NOT AN ACCEPTANCE. I did well on the OAT and I thought my essay was pretty bomb ;)

I kind of wish I had spent less money on applying and interviewing when I KNEW I wanted to stay in CA. If I would have just applied to Berk, SCCO, and Western I would have saved so much $$$. I got waitlisted at SCCO and am going to WesternU.

thanks for the comments everyone. i guess i should clarify that i hate chit chatting in large groups on a stressful day when people are judging me and while waiting for hours to do the official interview. i actually work as an optician right now and love talking with patients one-on-one.once i get to know people i'm fine. i just get nervous at first in groups. besides, i'll get over it :)

uhh...what about patients you've never met? associates you've never met? This seems really antisocial to me...if the stressful part of interview day is CHATTING with your fellow interviewees then you should really consider doing something else lol.

uhh...what about patients you've never met? associates you've never met? This seems really antisocial to me...if the stressful part of interview day is CHATTING with your fellow interviewees then you should really consider doing something else lol.

grrr..what i meant was i'm great one on one (with people i don't know) and i'm fine in groups (class, labs, etc) once i get to know people a little. and believe it or not, i interview great with one or a few people. and i love working with people. (also i didn't realize the chatting would be with other interviewees which i think would actually relieve stress rather than cause it). i just get a little shy in big groups at first. i think it's a pretty common problem. anyway, i feel like i've turned this thread into a personal critique of me. :oops: it's just one thing about myself i'm working to improve...not everyone's perfect. sorry i mentioned it...i guess that's what i get for posting while half asleep, lol

grrr..what i meant was i'm great one on one (with people i don't know) and i'm fine in groups (class, labs, etc) once i get to know people a little. and believe it or not, i interview great with one or a few people. and i love working with people. (also i didn't realize the chatting would be with other interviewees which i think would actually relieve stress rather than cause it). i just get a little shy in big groups at first. i think it's a pretty common problem. anyway, i feel like i've turned this thread into a personal critique of me. :oops: it's just one thing about myself i'm working to improve...not everyone's perfect. sorry i mentioned it...i guess that's what i get for posting while half asleep, lol

Don't worry I get shy too, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure through optometry schools, they will help you prepare in socializing with your patients more effectively and build more confidence through your skills.
Its like doing a presentation, I'm sure almost everyone gets nervous (shy people or not) ...

what I really can't stand is (I see this a lot) how people suck up to the "admission" people or college director, you can see right through their fake-ness, I be myself no matter what. "Sucking up will get you nowhere in life"

it's kind of tiring how students will get on here and ask questions that they should really just ask the admissions on the phone or in person, but are too scared to do it. Also a lot of people are like OH NO, AT THE INTERVIEW I ACTUALLY HAVE TO TALK TO A PERSON OR MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME??!?! I wouldn't take it personally, you were kind of used as an example.

Don't worry I get shy too, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure through optometry schools, they will help you prepare in socializing with your patients more effectively and build more confidence through your skills.
Its like doing a presentation, I'm sure almost everyone gets nervous (shy people or not) ...

what I really can't stand is (I see this a lot) how people suck up to the "admission" people or college director, you can see right through their fake-ness, I be myself no matter what. "Sucking up will get you nowhere in life"

Sucking up will actually get you VERY far. It's a complex mix of being nice to the right people when you need to be. Doesn't make you fake. It's often not what you know, it's who you know. I got an internship and an apartment through sorority connections and my boyfriend's boss got me an amazing deal on a car lease. I understand that some people are "shy" but there are certain social skills that people should possess at certain junctures in their lives. Making phone calls, making eye contact, one-on-one interviews, group discussions, and public speaking are skills that are absolute necessities that chronic texters seem to lack. I'm scared to see what America will look like in 20 years.

Sucking up will actually get you VERY far. It's a complex mix of being nice to the right people when you need to be. Doesn't make you fake. It's often not what you know, it's who you know. I got an internship and an apartment through sorority connections and my boyfriend's boss got me an amazing deal on a car lease. I understand that some people are "shy" but there are certain social skills that people should possess at certain junctures in their lives. Making phone calls, making eye contact, one-on-one interviews, group discussions, and public speaking are skills that are absolute necessities that chronic texters seem to lack. I'm scared to see what America will look like in 20 years.

True BUT to an extent, some people push it too far...its like being really nice to someone in your class just so they can do homework for you, it's like using someone! Its about honesty, self integrity, respect, and genuinity.. the schools/admission should like us for who we are and not someone who can get an easy way in..
But it is what it is.
(..and really ..my definition of FAKE is beyond your description) but I do believe we should chase our dreams and do whatever we can to achieve it...

I was rejected from NOVA. My GPA was not competitive (2.8) and my OAT was average (300 overall). I was granted an interview and I interviewed poorly (because just two days prior, someone had started stalking and harassing me at my job and had literally threatened to contact the school and tell them not to accept me...I wish I was joking about this). I was accepted at PR but at the end of the day, Nova was the only school I could really see myself going to.

In any case, I am reapplying. I started a MS program and I currently have a 4.0 and I still work full time. I have 3 years experience as a tech. I plan on retaking my OAT and doing much better on it this time.

The reason my GPA for undergrad was so low was because my father was involved in two serious car accidents and crippled and had to go through back surgery twice. I had to work to not only support myself but to help my parents out as well, and I had to help my dad do things around the house.

Good for you! Interviews are not like an average social situation for everyone! I think you're smart to try to figure out what to expect ahead of time, it will make it easier to relax the day of our interview. I'm sure that there are people reading this that feel the same way, and are glad that someone was asking. Good luck!

I was rejected from NOVA. My GPA was not competitive (2.8) and my OAT was average (300 overall). I was granted an interview and I interviewed poorly (because just two days prior, someone had started stalking and harassing me at my job and had literally threatened to contact the school and tell them not to accept me...I wish I was joking about this). I was accepted at PR but at the end of the day, Nova was the only school I could really see myself going to.

In any case, I am reapplying. I started a MS program and I currently have a 4.0 and I still work full time. I have 3 years experience as a tech. I plan on retaking my OAT and doing much better on it this time.

The reason my GPA for undergrad was so low was because my father was involved in two serious car accidents and crippled and had to go through back surgery twice. I had to work to not only support myself but to help my parents out as well, and I had to help my dad do things around the house.

They will still average all your grades, not just look at the recent GPA, but you should have a better shot. I would consider other schools besides NOVA, you never know which school might end up being the best fit for you.

Wow I'm sorry about your dad's situation and how it went with NOVA. I definitely do believe you can still make it to NOVA if you reapply this year. :)

How long have you been working as tech? I do want to work in some practice but I don't really know how to because I think in some practice they only require certified tech or how does it exactly works?

when did you apply in the cycle? Because in order for schools to even consider me, I have to bring up my gpa and in order to do so, I have to complete and pass all my fall classes ( by that time, it will be in December and I'm afraid it might be too late).

Did you get accepted into all the schools that you have applied?

You did make the right choice by deciding to re-apply instead of going to PR. Keep your head up, apply early and you will make it. Make sure your personal statement convey your personal circumstances and determination.

You did make the right choice by deciding to re-apply instead of going to PR. Keep your head up, apply early and you will make it. Make sure your personal statement convey your personal circumstances and determination.

I have been reading books on "Personal Statements" from high schools going to university. All the essays have been about what people have accomplished in their life.. does the same rules applies to optometry schools.. or is it more formal?

I have been reading books on "Personal Statements" from high schools going to university. All the essays have been about what people have accomplished in their life.. does the same rules applies to optometry schools.. or is it more formal?

Well your essay should answer why optometry? what makes you not only a great student and a future OD but also a great individual? Talk about your academic highlights and volunteer work. But make sure the tone is personable and you give specific examples. Talk about a patient from your volunteer work, a course in which you went above and beyond, talk specifically about what you liked from your shadowing experience etc. etc.

In general all students cover same bases but their examples are always different. That is how the admission remembers you and want to interview you. I wrote mine in a way you would talk face to face professionally like in an interview. It wasn't like Dear Admissions, I have the following GPA, I have this many awards, and on and on. Don't write in a dull and robotic tone. They want to know you as a person.

Well your essay should answer why optometry? what makes you not only a great student and a future OD but also a great individual? Talk about your academic highlights and volunteer work. But make sure the tone is personable and you give specific examples. Talk about a patient from your volunteer work, a course in which you went above and beyond, talk specifically about what you liked from your shadowing experience etc. etc.

In general all students cover same bases but their examples are always different. That is how the admission remembers you and want to interview you. I wrote mine in a way you would talk face to face professionally like in an interview. It wasn't like Dear Admissions, I have the following GPA, I have this many awards, and on and on. Don't write in a dull and robotic tone. They want to know you as a person.

Thank you for the great advice! :)

I found this for those who are writing their personal statements; I hope this helps :thumbup:

University of California Berkeley School of Optometry
Please limit each essay to 500 words or less.
1. Describe an economic, social, or educational disadvantage you have faced and how you overcame it.
2. How did you become interested in optometry? What do you expect to be doing after graduation from optometry school?
3. Re-applicant: What have you done since your previous application to improve yourself as a candidate for admission?

University of Houston College of Optometry
1. Describe yourself, who you are and what you like to do. In addition, tell us about how and when you became interested in optometry and why you are motivated to pursue a career in optometry and in health care. What goals do you have once you become an optometrist? Include your goals for immediately after graduation and your long term goals. (500 words)
2. Describe what you have been able to learn about the different ways in which optometrists practice their profession (e.g., solo vs partnership/group, private vs. commercial chain, armed forces, HMO, Veterans Affairs (VA), teaching institution, etc.) We expect that you will base your essay on your own research by visiting optometrists in at least three different practice settings and from reading about the profession. Include your resources and references. (500 words)

Illinois College of Optometry
Prepare a typed autobiographical sketch (limit your statement to no more than 1 page). Please include:
1. Your personal perspective and motivation for optometry, including the steps you have taken to investigate the profession and why it is a good career choice for you.
2. Why you have chosen to pursue your professional degree at the Illinois College of Optometry.
3. Extra activities or honors received while in college.
4. Any additional information which you believe would be useful in helping us gain a better understanding of your background, character, and desire to become an optometrist.

University of Missouri, St. Louis
Discuss in a statement of approximately 200 words, your reasons for desiring to study optometry, why you believe you are qualified for a career in this profession and whether your interest at the present time is directed toward private practice, research or teaching. This statement should be in your own handwriting.

New England College of Optometry (Boston)
In the personal statement essay, give a thoughtful, candid analysis of your professional objectives, both long and short term. Include the following: Why you want to study optometry, how you first became interested in the profession, and how you envision your career in optometry.

Pacific University College of Optometry (Oregon)
1. Why have you chosen the field of optometry? What other fields did you consider? What are your professional goals?
2. What do you hope to be doing immediately upon graduation five years and ten years following graduation?
3. What has been the evolving role of optometry in the health care system over the past twenty years?
4. Where do you see it going? Optional: Feel free to share with us additional information that will help us to evaluate your application for admission.
5. Re-Applicant: How are you different as an applicant this year?

Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO)
1. How has your background prepared you to pursue a career in optometry at PCO?
2. How have you proceeded to gather information about optometry and PCO?
3. What is it about yourself that makes you feel you are unique?
4. Re-Applicant: What have you done to improve your chances for acceptance?

Southern California College of Optometry (SCCO)
1. What are your reasons for applying to the Southern California College of Optometry? How does SCCO fit your needs for an educational setting?
2. Why do you wish to become an optometrist? How did you reach this decision?
3. What professional goals do you hope to achieve after receiving the Doctor of Optometry degree?

State University of New York, State College of Optometry (SUNY)
Write a personal statement describing your reasons for choosing optometry. Comment on how your abilities and previous experiences have prepared you to pursue this health-care profession.

Southern College of Optometry (Tennessee)
1. Please summarize your activities since high school. Include jobs held, extracurricular activities, service and volunteer activities, honors and awards, any military or other service to the country and any significant periods during which you were neither employed nor enrolled in school. Also tell us about any special interests you have and/or how you enjoy spending your "free time."
2. Why do you feel you would be a successful optometry student at Southern College of Optometry and eventually a successful optometrist?

Wow I'm sorry about your dad's situation and how it went with NOVA. I definitely do believe you can still make it to NOVA if you reapply this year. :)

How long have you been working as tech? I do want to work in some practice but I don't really know how to because I think in some practice they only require certified tech or how does it exactly works?

when did you apply in the cycle? Because in order for schools to even consider me, I have to bring up my gpa and in order to do so, I have to complete and pass all my fall classes ( by that time, it will be in December and I'm afraid it might be too late).

Did you get accepted into all the schools that you have applied?

I think I mentioned it, but I've been working as a technician for three years. I got the job by walking into the office with my resume and cover letter expressing my interest in the field. They said they were not sure they had a position open for me, so I volunteered to work there. By the end of my very first day, I was able to do complete patient pretesting (including NCT and optomap) on my own...I was/am that determined. They offered me a job after that.

My memory is hazy, but I applied pretty early...around early August. I didn't get the call or email about the interview for several months. I had already earned my bachelor's degree.