Who here has gone to Community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Presadog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here has gone to community college prior to receiving their bachelors degree as well as prior to getting accepted to med school or applying.

I will be starting school in the fall and am committed to the long journey to reach med school. Any info would help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a community college for 2.5 years, and I've been accepted at multiple medical schools. Don't think of your cc experience as a handicap in any way. If anything, it will make you stand out from the rest of the applicants. Be proud of the fact that you chose this route.

The only problem that I encountered: Wake Forest will not even consider you if you took pre-reqs at a comm. college. But who cares about Wake Forest anyway? It's not a problem for Harvard, Stanford, Yale, or any other med school that I know of.

what were your stats? and which schools accepted you?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not really relevant. Just do the best that YOU can. If you're sincere and you have passion, then you'll be successful.

i'm sorry if i offended you. I'm just curious. I'm a senior in highschool.

i went to cc before transferring to university. I don't think will hinder me in my med school application this coming year....hope not!

I transferred about 20 hrs from a cc to a university (summer school classes) and some of them are core science classes. I have applied and received interviewed at all 6 schools I wanted.

I know someone who got in to med school and attended a CC, and a stanford rep even came to my CC last year and said they've accepted some students who went to CC.

one of the most important things that you can learn when you go to a cc is humility. and that is no small feat. so when you're going to med school and everyone puts you on a pedestal (ok no comments here, i know this is not a universal truth), you can always look back at your humble beginnings. just remember, cc's aren't generally easier, esp with science courses. so dont take it easy. work hard your first semester. you want those A's from the beginning. they count in your gpa when applying to med.

i went to a CC for two years before transferring to a four-year school. i only transferred this fall, so i can't say anything about getting into medschool. what i can tell you though, is that UCSF's dean of admissions spoke at my school, and he said that as long as you do good after you transfer, they don't care where you took your pre-reqs (or did your first two years).
in case you are not a science major, it's a VERY good idea to take some upper division science classes after you transfer.
:)

I went to CC for a while. Accepted at med school, interviews and pending at many others.

I had 3 years at engineering school with a high gpa before realizing that I want to become a dentist.

The 4-year university won't accept me until I take 2 semesters of a foreign language, so I'm going to a local cc (make sure the cc has a good rapport with the university so transfers aren't a problem) to knock that out.

However, since I'm there anyway, I'm taking other prereqs that I need to fill out a full-time school schedule. I don't think it will hinder me in anyway, provided I work hard and get good grades.

For me, there's not really much choice in the matter, so I'm just doing the best I can.

i went to a 4-year school for all 4 years of undergrad, but finished up my prereqs at the local CC a few years later. i have been accepted at one med school and am still waiting to hear from a few more.