Who here will be attending Western University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iJackTeeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering?

Also, has anyone heard any updates about the buildings? and accreditation status?

Whats your opinion on the curriculum? its pretty different, theres 8 hrs a week of Essentials of Clinical Medicine with the DO students, and most of our classes will be with DO students. The curriculum will be tough, but hopefully it will help prepare us for the boards.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a letter from them about a month ago sayin they still have not finished construction on the new building. They are hoping it should be finished by next year.

I have not heard much about accredation status except it should be accredited by the time first year graduates:rolleyes: duh! lol

Not to turn down the school or nothin, but the only good thing I see about it is, its in Cali!

Just wondering?

Also, has anyone heard any updates about the buildings? and accreditation status?

Whats your opinion on the curriculum? its pretty different, theres 8 hrs a week of Essentials of Clinical Medicine with the DO students, and most of our classes will be with DO students. The curriculum will be tough, but hopefully it will help prepare us for the boards.

I wont be going... I got into Marquette... Western seems nice but what if they don't get accredited and you loose your spot at another school bc you chose Western.... I'm not taking that chance..

Members don't see this ad :)
I wont be going... I got into Marquette... Western seems nice but what if they don't get accredited and you loose your spot at another school bc you chose Western.... I'm not taking that chance..

The Dean of Western Dental is the director/head of the accreditation team at ADA so for Western not to get accredited is virtually impossible.

The Dean of Western Dental is the director/head of the accreditation team at ADA so for Western not to get accredited is virtually impossible.

By all means go there if you want, I just don't want to take a chance. Marquette is a really good fit for me too...

ok if you do decide to go, you're not going to be screwed over and have the school shut down on you hahah. you'll eventually become a dentist just like everybody else

ok if you do decide to go, you're not going to be screwed over and have the school shut down on you hahah. you'll eventually become a dentist just like everybody else

I like the disclaimer, prydA

I liked everything about the school that I could see so far. I especially thought they have some cool faculty. The dean was awesome. I think that will be one of their strengths. It was cool that you would be working with the other schools on cases but I dont know how effective that would be though.

Pomona is meh but the surrounding areas are very nice. It is the middle of everything you could imagine doing. Snowboarding and ocean.... However the DO students that talked to us were lame. They both went home to far away states every other weekend and did not like to study with others. They were sometimes plain unfriendly also. I was dissapointed and actually made me not like the school as much.

Im sure the school will be accredited as they seemed to know what they were doing. The admissions counselors were cool too.

Sorry, I am going off topic, but those who got accepted to WesternU, did you guys get the mail yet?

I just want to make sure it gets to me and not to my permanent address, which is outside the States.

Thanks !

Those of you that had an interview how exactly did they explain you would be intergrated with other programs (ie. DO) I see this as being very beneficial due to many disconnects in the dental community with that of traditional medicine. Also, for the most part was the school big? Nice? A promising community to train to be a dentist (clinical) Did they comment on specializing or the opportunities there of.....? I think it would be beneficial to attend a school that doesn't have specialty programs for the fact hat you get "all" the patients that walk through that door with whatever dental problem...just an idea

Those of you that had an interview how exactly did they explain you would be intergrated with other programs (ie. DO) I see this as being very beneficial due to many disconnects in the dental community with that of traditional medicine. Also, for the most part was the school big? Nice? A promising community to train to be a dentist (clinical) Did they comment on specializing or the opportunities there of.....? I think it would be beneficial to attend a school that doesn't have specialty programs for the fact hat you get "all" the patients that walk through that door with whatever dental problem...just an idea

You will take certain lecture classes with the DO students, and will share cadavers with them. Also there is a form of PBL type learning you will have to participate in with DO, pharm, vet, podiatry and whatever other schools they have. The school was decent... it's small but from what the new vet building looks like, it seems like the dental school will be pretty nice! They did not mention specialties at my interview, and since I want to do general I didn't ask. As far as getting all the patients, I asked that during my interview and he said we would most definitely see cases that would go to specialty programs at other schools.

You know... deep down inside I know this is true, but I need solid reasons why im picking one school over another. I believe Western will be a great school, but I think I would like to have other students who have gone through it help me along. And as stated before... I loved Marquette, had I not interviewed at Marquette I might feel different about this...