You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Who is down for a national Pharmacist walkout/sickout?
Started by steveysmith54
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted885753
Pharmacy is so busy for past two weeks! Seems like every kid in town is sick from flu. It’s been brutal..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I commiserate with my fellow (retail) pharmacists, but I am in a strongly anti-union state. If I hang outside my hospital for even a little bit, I know I will be fired and replaced quickly, within minutes. And I do need this job for a bit longer.
Not sure how many will bite, backbone and all. Hasn’t played out well before.
Sick out is such a ***** move.
If a group of pharmacists want to changes to happen, they all should call their district/region/area manager and tell them the reason for calling out. State your purpose and tell them what type of changes they want.
Calling out sick as a group doesn’t accomplish anything and just comes off unprofessional. That’s no better than that lazy cashier who calls out because he stayed up too late playing video games.
If a group of pharmacists want to changes to happen, they all should call their district/region/area manager and tell them the reason for calling out. State your purpose and tell them what type of changes they want.
Calling out sick as a group doesn’t accomplish anything and just comes off unprofessional. That’s no better than that lazy cashier who calls out because he stayed up too late playing video games.
I signed up as a strike replacement worker once, got paid like $900 just to do some EMR training modules and be on standby.
Pharmacists don’t have the backbone to do it.
Best thing you can do is quit or go part-time. Most employers of pharmacists don't deserve quality labor at the wages they are paying.
this x 1000 - time and time again pharmacists have proven they take the $$ (even thou it is getting less and less) and the crappy work conditions vs standing up for themselves.The walkout we all planned last December ended up being mostly a nothingburger.
What are we going to do differently this time?
Nah, pharmacists are just too divided to have any national movement. First, most non-retail RPh jobs (hospital, managed care, ambcare) are decent. Those RPh are very unlikely to join. Second, although most retail RPh acknowledge that retail is horrible, a lot of them are still doing fine. Also a major cause for crappy working condition is that it is getting harder & harder to find a tech.
Oh, Yes. I was contacted, as a travel pharmacist, about a planned strike in Northern California last December. This was by some 20,000 Kaiser Permanente Pharmacist. California had relaxed all licensing rules and we were ready to go. $12,000 for 1 week (55 hrs). Their Union gave in, strike was averted.The walkout we all planned last December ended up being mostly a nothingburger.
What are we going to do differently this time?
Oh, Yes. I was contacted, as a travel pharmacist, about a planned strike in Northern California last December. This was by some 20,000 Kaiser Permanente Pharmacist. California had relaxed all licensing rules and we were ready to go. $12,000 for 1 week (55 hrs). Their Union gave in, strike was averted.
I'd hardly call that the union giving in. A compromise was reached. That's usually how contract negotiations work. Neither side ever leaves completely happy. Next year, new hires will be making make $76.62 and the top rate for a staff pharmacist will be $89.81. (That's a 3% raise, followed by a 2% raise, followed by a 2% raise). You'd turn that down?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This! Its the worst Ive seen in my whole career. not just a tech....but a GOOD tech!. Also a major cause for crappy working condition is that it is getting harder & harder to find a tech.
Let’s be real tho, I can go work at Menards (big box hardware store) and get 16$ an hour and 18 for weekends. Sure, it’s retail and you’re still dealing with people but at the same price as a tech salary, I’d much rather work at a hardware store. People won’t yell at me for being out of roofing nails, they’ll just go to Home Depot next door and call it a day after rolling their eyes at me.Nah, pharmacists are just too divided to have any national movement. First, most non-retail RPh jobs (hospital, managed care, ambcare) are decent. Those RPh are very unlikely to join. Second, although most retail RPh acknowledge that retail is horrible, a lot of them are still doing fine. Also a major cause for crappy working condition is that it is getting harder & harder to find a tech.
I once had a person yell at me at the grocery store I worked at because we were out of parsnips.Let’s be real tho, I can go work at Menards (big box hardware store) and get 16$ an hour and 18 for weekends. Sure, it’s retail and you’re still dealing with people but at the same price as a tech salary, I’d much rather work at a hardware store. People won’t yell at me for being out of roofing nails, they’ll just go to Home Depot next door and call it a day after rolling their eyes at me.
I have no doubt that working at Menards beats working at CVS. But if you work with the public you will get yelled at.
No way 😂😂 How petty!I once had a person yell at me at the grocery store I worked at because we were out of parsnips.
I have no doubt that working at Menards beats working at CVS. But if you work with the public you will get yelled at.
Let’s be real tho, I can go work at Menards (big box hardware store) and get 16$ an hour and 18 for weekends. Sure, it’s retail and you’re still dealing with people but at the same price as a tech salary, I’d much rather work at a hardware store. People won’t yell at me for being out of roofing nails, they’ll just go to Home Depot next door and call it a day after rolling their eyes at me.
Five Guys had a sign hiring for $17-20/hr. Probably make more at Starbucks and Dunkin with the tips.
... people tip at Starbucks/Dunkin?Five Guys had a sign hiring for $17-20/hr. Probably make more at Starbucks and Dunkin with the tips.
My local Five Guys is hiring at $15. And they have a tip jar. Plus one free meal per shift, which sounds stupid to me but that is one more free meal per shift than you get at CVS.Five Guys had a sign hiring for $17-20/hr. Probably make more at Starbucks and Dunkin with the tips.
My local Five Guys is hiring at $15. And they have a tip jar. Plus one free meal per shift, which sounds stupid to me but that is one more free meal per shift than you get at CVS.
That's a good deal. When I worked at Burger King as a teen, all wet got was a 10-15% discount. No free meal.
... people tip at Starbucks/Dunkin?
Of course, haven't you ever been to one?
Starbucks yes, but I can’t remember seeing a tip jar at my local Dunkin. I’ll have to look next time.... people tip at Starbucks/Dunkin?
Isn’t that the joke?Lol why do you guys involve the tip jar? That jar has maybe $7 every night that gets split up with the entire closing staff
Its hard to tell especially since there are people here who believe restaurant workers earn 6 figuresIsn’t that the joke?
I assume that is also the joke.Its hard to tell especially since there are people here who believe restaurant workers earn 6 figures
lolll, i honestly hope so since I had to argue why its important to tipI assume that is also the joke.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean I once saw a waiter get a large tip so I figure they always make that large of a tip on every table and their tables must always be full so no doubt they pull down six figures a year easy.lolll, i honestly hope so since I had to argue why its important to tip
Yeah and I see all of my friends who graduated from pharmacy school get a full time position earning 6 figures and not have trouble finding a job.I mean I once saw a waiter get a large tip so I figure they always make that large of a tip on every table and their tables must always be full so no doubt they pull down six figures a year easy.
Well now that is totally unbelievable.Yeah and I see all of my friends who graduated from pharmacy school get a full time position earning 6 figures and not have trouble finding a job.
lmaooooo, its funny cause its actually trueWell now that is totally unbelievable.
Aren't we seeing stores nationwide closed right now for want of staffing? Instead of a national strike day, it feels like a lot of pharmacists have already voted with their feet. I saw Mikey's post about PIC's making 200k+ in Philly, they're so desperate.this x 1000 - time and time again pharmacists have proven they take the $$ (even thou it is getting less and less) and the crappy work conditions vs standing up for themselves.
I just think it's humorous companies are increasing pay (fine) but not changing the working conditions.
but not changing the working conditions.
Something so simple but they continue to go backwards on this. I can remember back when I first started, I got everything done. Now each day I'm drowning.
Yep. I work part time at one chain that's super kush, but another chain sent me an email asking if I wanted to be PIC yada yada yada. I told them no but I'd be willing to float there (I don't want to own ANYTHING any more) since I know their software. They said because I worked for the other chain it was a conflict of interest.Something so simple but they continue to go backwards on this. I can remember back when I first started, I got everything done. Now each day I'm drowning.
A few days later I was in the grocery store and saw the second pharmacy closed due to lack of staffing lol
I feel for everyone having to do not just shots, but walk-in shots, and testing, and prescribing, and...
You can accomplish the same thing by finding new work, if possible. Flu testing was the last straw for me. I finally decided that $126k a year was not worth my health and sanity. So I decided that if I'm gonna put up with this, I'm gonna try to make as much money as I can for my time. So I did find a higher paying job in LTC. But the hilarious thing is, not only am I making more money now in LTC, but the environment is way more relaxed. Now Walgreens couldn't pay me enough to come back, sign on bonus or not.
I finally decided that $126k a year was not worth my health and sanity. So I decided that if I'm gonna put up with this, I'm gonna try to make as much money as I can for my time.
I am trying my best to hang on, but it is costing my mental/physical health. Sadly, all they will do is pile on more. I'm looking for strep/flu/covid testing being dropped anytime (has dropped for Wags--ie flu/covid), and the rest will follow. So when will I have a moment to do a script with shots and testing? They are not going to add on hours for this. Laws will have to change to give techs more responsibility. And let's face it, some don't want it now, so unless it's mandatory by the employer it's more piled on a pharmacist. I take comfort in that I've saved and maxed out everything each year, cause if I was starting all over in the _______ hole that corporate has created, with loans to pay off.... kids are crazy wanting to do this profession now.
I do look daily to see if something comes along though.....trying to keep hope alive.
You don't want to go join all the medical writers? 😉I am trying my best to hang on, but it is costing my mental/physical health. Sadly, all they will do is pile on more. I'm looking for strep/flu/covid testing being dropped anytime (has dropped for Wags--ie flu/covid), and the rest will follow. So when will I have a moment to do a script with shots and testing? They are not going to add on hours for this. Laws will have to change to give techs more responsibility. And let's face it, some don't want it now, so unless it's mandatory by the employer it's more piled on a pharmacist. I take comfort in that I've saved and maxed out everything each year, cause if I was starting all over in the _______ hole that corporate has created, with loans to pay off.... kids are crazy wanting to do this profession now.
I do look daily to see if something comes along though.....trying to keep hope alive.
I mean I’d like to 😂You don't want to go join all the medical writers? 😉
It took me 4.5 years to get out of retail. These are some tips that might be useful:I am trying my best to hang on, but it is costing my mental/physical health. Sadly, all they will do is pile on more. I'm looking for strep/flu/covid testing being dropped anytime (has dropped for Wags--ie flu/covid), and the rest will follow. So when will I have a moment to do a script with shots and testing? They are not going to add on hours for this. Laws will have to change to give techs more responsibility. And let's face it, some don't want it now, so unless it's mandatory by the employer it's more piled on a pharmacist. I take comfort in that I've saved and maxed out everything each year, cause if I was starting all over in the _______ hole that corporate has created, with loans to pay off.... kids are crazy wanting to do this profession now.
I do look daily to see if something comes along though.....trying to keep hope alive.
_ Your chance is higher if you have some sort of management experience. I had covered many stores because they just lost their RXM (to non-retail jobs). Now if I am in a position to hire someone for my pharmacy, I would prefer a RXM candidate also.
_ Unless you dont have a choice, expand your search to a different city, or even different states. My first job after retail was 3 hrs away from my place. But it gave me the needed skills to have my current job (which is 30 minutes away and a 25% pay increase from my old RXM retail job).
Best of lucks !
Last edited:
Also to add to this, be open to contract positions.It took me 4.5 years to get out of retail. These are some tips that might useful:
_ Your chance is higher if you have some sort of management experience. I had covered many stores because they just lost their RXM (to non-retail jobs). Now if I am in a position to hire someone for my pharmacy, I would prefer a RXM candidate also.
_ Unless you dont have a choice, expand your search to a different city, or even different states. My first job after retail was 3 hrs away from my place. But it gave me the needed skills to have my current job (which is 30 minutes away and a 25% pay increase from my old RXM retail job).
Best of lucks !
I don’t know about you guys but I just quit and walked away from retail pharmacy.
I just won’t do it - in its current state. I’m not going to be taken advantage of to that extreme.
I understand we got loans, families, etc - but the truth is that there are other things we can do.
I just won’t do it - in its current state. I’m not going to be taken advantage of to that extreme.
I understand we got loans, families, etc - but the truth is that there are other things we can do.
Weirdest thing is I've had more unique offers after stepping back from pharmacy than I ever did as a long term, stable staff pharmacist with a company for 7 years.I don’t know about you guys but I just quit and walked away from retail pharmacy.
I just won’t do it - in its current state. I’m not going to be taken advantage of to that extreme.
I understand we got loans, families, etc - but the truth is that there are other things we can do.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weirdest thing is I've had more unique offers after stepping back from pharmacy than I ever did as a long term, stable staff pharmacist with a company for 7 years.
Yea - for a very long time we have thought pharmacy is our only option. It really is not, there are many options out there and I’m never dispensing another pill again unless I can do it in a safe environment.
Anyways - For me, nursing home administration for the pay. High school chem/bio/math teacher if I just want a job (when I’m past 50)
I think what you are seeing with the pause in student loans people have said "F you" and agreeing not to work in crappy settings - but I know at my hospital we still get a **** ton of applications for jobs- albiet most don't have hosptial experience. People want to work, just not for CVS or wags.Aren't we seeing stores nationwide closed right now for want of staffing? Instead of a national strike day, it feels like a lot of pharmacists have already voted with their feet. I saw Mikey's post about PIC's making 200k+ in Philly, they're so desperate.
I just think it's humorous companies are increasing pay (fine) but not changing the working conditions.
To you second point - I think the corporate is feeling they can hold out longer than the unemployed rph's - once student loan payments resume (maybe they already have - I honestly don't know) - eventually people will get desperate enough to work they will come back. Until then the CVS of the world thinks they can pay off enough with sign on bonuses but not increase wages much, and working conditions much that they eventually will settle back into the same ole same ole.
Aren't we seeing stores nationwide closed right now for want of staffing? Instead of a national strike day, it feels like a lot of pharmacists have already voted with their feet. I saw Mikey's post about PIC's making 200k+ in Philly, they're so desperate.
I just think it's humorous companies are increasing pay (fine) but not changing the working conditions.
I would expect nothing less from bean counters who have never worked a pharmacy shift before.
Once in LTC, I wondered why I EVER tolerated retail....You can accomplish the same thing by finding new work, if possible. Flu testing was the last straw for me. I finally decided that $126k a year was not worth my health and sanity. So I decided that if I'm gonna put up with this, I'm gonna try to make as much money as I can for my time. So I did find a higher paying job in LTC. But the hilarious thing is, not only am I making more money now in LTC, but the environment is way more relaxed. Now Walgreens couldn't pay me enough to come back, sign on bonus or not.
Once in LTC, I wondered why I EVER tolerated retail....
Well, in my case, I never got wind of any openings til a former comrade let me know and put in a good word for me. My approach of "never burn bridges" turned out well for me after all.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K