kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
I know this has been talked about on other threads, but I wanted to take a poll to see who is taking some time off before medical school, and what are you planning to do? I'm currently working full time, and am undecided as to when exactly to give my notice. They know I'm leaving, obviously, but we haven't gotten into the details as to when. I have a wedding to go to in July, and I think most medical schools start mid-August or so (right?), so I can't imagine working much past July. But, part of me wants to take a little mini vacation?....I've worked all my life....worked through school, etc., worked full time while taking pre-med courses -- like so many of us have! Any thoughts? Big plans?

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
goin to Europe. bought my tickets 2 days ago! gonna get some absynth. HOLLA~!

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
CA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I"ve taken almost two years off.. went to australia, new zealand, worked for 14 months, then i'm quitting in May, going to Mexico, then going to work at a part time job for the rest of summer! Yay for soaking up the good times!

Stitch626

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Houston
Status
kc123 said:
I know this has been talked about on other threads, but I wanted to take a poll to see who is taking some time off before medical school, and what are you planning to do? I'm currently working full time, and am undecided as to when exactly to give my notice. They know I'm leaving, obviously, but we haven't gotten into the details as to when. I have a wedding to go to in July, and I think most medical schools start mid-August or so (right?), so I can't imagine working much past July. But, part of me wants to take a little mini vacation?....I've worked all my life....worked through school, etc., worked full time while taking pre-med courses -- like so many of us have! Any thoughts? Big plans?

Funny you mention giving your notice because I gave my two weeks today. It is a wonderful feeling. My thoughts on the matter: why bust your ass now? You're going to be in lockdown for the next 6-10 years so why not take a break? Go on your mini-vacation. You have my permission and blessings. Because of our overachieving nature, most of us find it difficult to allow ourselves to relax. Ironically though, we are the type of students that can benefit most from a sabbatical.

If you decide you want to work again, just pick up some easy job in retail or waiting tables (good money & short hours).

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Stitch626 said:
Funny you mention giving your notice because I gave my two weeks today. It is a wonderful feeling. My thoughts on the matter: why bust your ass now? You're going to be in lockdown for the next 6-10 years so why not take a break? Go on your mini-vacation. You have my permission and blessings. Because of our overachieving nature, most of us find it difficult to allow ourselves to relax. Ironically though, we are the type of students that can benefit most from a sabbatical.

If you decide you want to work again, just pick up some easy job in retail or waiting tables (good money & short hours).
Thanks for the blessings -- I needed that. Really. :) It's funny, I do feel guilty. But, I do want to make sure that I start school refreshed! I'm sure I'll get burnt out quickly enough, why not start off relaxed and refreshed?! Was talking to my Mom about it today, and she was like, "Well, it all depends on where you go to school. If you have to move, obviously, you'll need to take more time off, but if not, then you can work straight through, was the implication." She didn't really get it. I only work forty hours (or so) now, but still, w/ the work stresses, the looong application process, I feel a little burnt out! I also feel a little guilty (I feel as though the job I am in currently had a lot to do w/ me getting into medical school, so I don't just want to jump ship)! Thanks for the encouragement. Will keep you posted. Congrats on giving your notice! Live it up! What kind of job were you in, and what are you planning to do w/ your vacation?

akanene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
i did service work all last year and am working in south america this year... yeah im making no money, but i figure if im going to be in that much debt gonig to med school what will a couple more really do, not much, but will have allowed me to do something i really have enjoyed... i am faced with moving back to the states this summer and getting a job for the application process and really have no idea what i should get it in... any advice!??!

aphasia

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
S L T, CA
Status
PreMedAdAG said:
I"ve taken almost two years off.. went to australia, new zealand, worked for 14 months, then i'm quitting in May, going to Mexico, then going to work at a part time job for the rest of summer! Yay for soaking up the good times!
Right on!
I moved to Tahoe after undergrad and became a ski bum poker dealer. =)
I think I may still decide to take a vacation before med school. Why not?

phleebie

$26 in my hand.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
i agree with the posters above: take some time off. i dont know how much your job is paying you, but the amount of money you would make by August probably wont even make a dent in your tuition payments.

might as well enjoy your freedom while it lasts--paying off loans (especially when dealing with an extra couple thousand dollars) isn't that big of deal when you're paying them off with a doctor's salary down the road.

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
Good lord, you NEED a vacation! I'm quitting my full-time job at the end of June, taking a couple weeks to find a place to live, then going to EGYPT! Dream come true and can't think of any other time to go (while I have the funds, that is).

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Wherever life takes me...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
RunMimi said:
I'm sure we'd all like to take vacations this summer, but how are you guys paying for it (especially in the face of huge debt)?
I was wondering that too, especially for those people who take a year or more off. I know that if I am not a full time student anymore, then my health insurance would go away (big problem for me since I have allergies and asthma and meds are crazy expensive without it) and I would have to start paying off my undergraduate loans (another big problem without any money coming in for a while). Are there ways to get around those problems?

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
shantster said:
I was wondering that too, especially for those people who take a year or more off. I know that if I am not a full time student anymore, then my health insurance would go away (big problem for me since I have allergies and asthma and meds are crazy expensive without it) and I would have to start paying off my undergraduate loans (another big problem without any money coming in for a while). Are there ways to get around those problems?
I am also taking a year off during which i will be applying, but and was wondering about the undergrad loan issue too. Can someone please comment?

eralza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
I took 13 years off. Does that count as a vacation? :D

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
HELL YEA I RECOMMEND A VACATION BEFORE MED SCHOOL. I am headed off to Europe in june for a month and a half. Hope you do something similar.

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
shantster said:
Well I have saved money since I've been working for about 3 years post-graduation. If you're straight out of undergrad with loans to start paying back 6 months after graduation, I would recommend traveling straight away and then come back with enough time to get a job an start saving. That way you have funds when the time comes to make your first payment. As for how to pay the trip, if you have no savings or parents willing to sponsor you then I suppose your only other alternative is to load up your credit card. But that then adds to your debt as well (at a much worse interest rate) and so you have to be willing to incur that debt. If the concern is in racking up debt before the enormous burden of med school, a few thousand dollars pales in comparison to the $100-200k that is 4 year med school tuition. Hope this helps!

eralza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
Stitch626 said:

Yesterday, I told my boss that as a Govt. employee, it would be impossible for him to get rid of me before I start school in Aug. He started laughing and told me that my work ethic and obsessive compulsive behavior wouldn't allow me to screw off! Sad...he's right!

merovingian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Visit site
Status
I was accepted early this cycle, so I've had pretty much this whole year off until August....and you can bet your ass off im going to take a vacation somewhere!!!!!! I've been temping since late September as well, really boring office job, have my own cube, the whole office space ordeal....the job is really boring and the tasks I do are really easy, so you could say its a very low-stress job...i cant imagine doing that for the rest of my life, which makes me really excited to start school....they like me a lot there and I guess Im a good worker so they probably wont get rid of me until I want to leave......ive been debating whether I want to go to Europe or Southeast Asia, but I think im leaning towards Europe, just because its cheaper and there's more to see......def go on vacation before school starts.....every med schooler I've talked to has said to relax before school starts.....Im thinking of working there until maybe June, then go on my trip for about 3 weeks, come back, relax at home, and then start school......this summer is going to be great

Archimedes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
Status
yeah, but what did you guys do in your year or two years off?

I'm trying to find something to do for a year, and I want it to be something interesting. any ideas?

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
If medical schools accept you, do you have the choice of deferring one academic year? Do they reserve a seat for you in the next term?

Or does it not work like that at all?

akanene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
shuzee said:
I am also taking a year off during which i will be applying, but and was wondering about the undergrad loan issue too. Can someone please comment?
depending on what you're doing and how much money you're making you can get your loans deffered or in special cases part of them forgiven (as in you dont have to pay them back). last year i did volunteer service, so made no money and this year my salary in south america is still very low compartive to US standards, so i applied for a "hardship deferment." this means you dont have to start paying back your loans until you start making money because you dont have the means to at this point (i had to submit paystubs and get a letter from my employer, etc but I have not had to start paying on any loans since i graduated a year and a half ago). contact your lender and see what the requirements are to apply for this. as for medical insurance there are a lot of year long volunteer programs that set you up with a volunteer placement (i worked as a medical clinic coordinator), set you up with room and board, give you medical insurance and provide you with a small monthly stipend for incidentals such as going out to dinner, drinks, whatever you want (you can also apply for an Ameri-corp grant that helps you pay back previous or future loans)... youre not living an extravagant lifestyle, but its a great thing to do for a year, without having to worry about paying for rent when youre not making money, and i got to live in Washington DC for a year which was awesome... PM me if you have questions and i will try to help!