Who knows about Illinois Masonic?

Started by sangyo76
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sangyo76

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all,

here's a question, especially Ventdependent. Has anyone heard about the quality of cases or details concerning the anesthesiology program at Illinois Masonic? I know its in a great neighborhood and supposedly easy to get in, but does anyone know if its worth even applying to?

😛
 
The residents at Illinois Masonic are a happy bunch. Non-malignant work hours, attendings, etc. The chairman of the department is very well known in anesthesia circles and has written numerous textbooks. One of the graduating residents last year had the 3rd highest board score in the entire country. Another resident obtained a Stanford Pain fellowship. The hospital itself is in a nice area of Chicago, Lincoln Park. Last year's graduating class all were offered great private practice jobs. One will be starting a critical care fellowship at University of Chicago. I would most definitely check out this program!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone has done a rotation here? Scutwork doesnt turn up much, neither does a forum search.


In was thinking about getting a rotation at either Northwestern or U of C or Rush, and would like get one more at another Chicago program. It would be nice to get one in university based and a non university based Hospital, but with a residency program.
 
the program is not doing too well. their chairman has left. their program director left and there are MANY unanswered questions right now. dont know if this is program has any stability right now......
 
I would have to agree w/ the 2004 posts here.

To the original poster who was referring to the program. Well, I did a rotation in the later portion of 2005. My experience there was amazing to say the least. As a medical student you can do pretty much whatever you want to. They'll let you do anything, as long as you are competent and show some interest. in terms of getting 'hands' on I think the place is great. I've intubated like >100 in the 1 month I was there. But hey it's not just about intubating. All the residents there are extremely knowledgeable. I was one of those students that would ask a lot of questions. For someoen like me, I got really good answers from the attendings and residents. I know from being there and being exposed to the residents that they have plenty of time to read. I dotn know about teh CA2s but teh CA1s ususally got out around 3PM. Thus, reading and studying, etc wasnt a problem. They had morning conferences everyday. There was grand rounds and journal club (forget which days). They have mock orals, keywords, all that jazz. There are absolutely NO FMGs.

Overall...I would state that this program is excellent. I rotated at other programs in Chicago where the environment/attendings were malignant and the residents were overworked and just worked like crazy.

Yes, the chair was away on a hiatus. But it was just a rumor that he was leaving,etc. So easily dispel those rumors.

Bottom line. Anywhere you go you will become an competent Anesthesiologist. Personally, at illinois masonic what I found appealing were the residents and attendings. The residents were laid back but really knew their stuff. Additional perks were that it's in a great neighborhood and very close to downtown. Do not be fooled. This place is not EASY to get into because it's a community hosp. Remember it is affliated w/ Univ of Illinois. But given it's 2 spots, the program is certainly no joke to get into. But...if you are a US med student from Allo school AND you've done a rotation there, you're chances are increased (in fact if you dont have these criteria, it's somewhat harder). It's hard as heck to get an interview there ppl. From what I heard, if you havent done a rotation there (and they havent seen ur work) OR if you dont have kick a$$ grades, it's almost impossible to get an interview there...remember its just two spots!

How do ppl fair? Well, I know the chief resident this year got a pain fellowship at U of Michigan. The other chief res is going into critical care at MGH. there was a CA3 that was going to U of Michigan to do peds. the years before that they had several grads easily get placed into pain (I think one went to Northwestern...forgot aobut the other). So....as you can see, they do rather well.

They have expanded their faculty this year. In fact, they've gotten a new pain anesthesiologist there now, and he's mad cool.

PM me if you got q's.

And no I dont go there right now, nor do I work for them ...lol...but my experience there was excellent, so I just had to post.

peace