Who likes Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at Temple right now, digging up fodder for my secondary. I like what I see, but can anyone give me anything additional about the school? Has anyone heard anything they really liked/disliked? What about the area? A friend who used to live there said it was in a bad neighborhood, but he's kind of a BSer. Feel free to post or PM me.

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey man, i'm from philly, so i can attest to the region. temple is a great school, research and clinical wise, they've done some pioneering stuff with open heart surgery. It is in Beirut though man, you friend isn't exaggerating in the slightest, it is in probably the worst part of philly, but i did a summer program there once and they have really good campus security so its no need to feel unsafe. You might be commuting from fairmount, manayunk, or some other part of the city, thats all.

Okay, my friend just went up a notch on the credibility scale. Thanks DW. Does anybody else have anything to say about Temple? Is anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome school! Everyone seems happy and laidback and mature. The clinical training there is awesome; you get to see/do lots even during the first two years, since its primary teaching hospital serves the poor, underserved population. It seems as though students there don't have as much workload as some of the other schools I've visited. Don't worry about the location. Like DW said, the medical school area itself is very safe with good security. The question I would ask myself, though, is do you like Philly? This is strictly a personal opinion, but there are not many places in Philadelphia that I find attractive.

Temple asks for recommendations from faculty in two of the three major sciences: bio, chem, physics. Do you think they would consider two bio recommendations if I explain why I have those instead of chem/physics?

AmChef

As everyone has said, Temple has an amazing clinical program. You see some stuff there that you might not be exposed to elsewhere, thanks to scenic North Phildadelphia. every student I've met from temple so far has been a huge supporter of the school, everyone who goes there just loves the place, so they must be doing something right ;)

Having grown up in Northeast Philly, then lived in West Philly for 6 years, and now living in center city (aka been in philly my whole life) I can tell you that that neighborhood is the worst in the 215 area code. but the campus is incredibly safe, at night its brighter than daylight thanks to a few hundred flood lamps the size of automobiles lining the buildings. The campus has fewer crime reports than other universities in Philadelphia such as UPenn.

Philadelphia has tons to offer as far as cultural activities, a solid nightclub scene, some amazing restaurants, and my favorite part is the fact that it offers all of this and yet still has a "small town" type of feel to it.

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

listen, if you don't mind the temple area (and phllystyl is right that it's very well lit), then philly isn't a bad place to be. i was born and raised in philly and its suburbs and go to a college in another suburb. i've worked here every summer..... Old City is a ton of fun and Center City is getting bigger all of the time- and it's already filled with great restaurants and stuff. There's a decent arts scene (the museums are cool). transportation sucks around here unless you like buses, but philly is very neighborhoody, the suburbs are fun (manayunk, etc.), and there are a bunch of fun neighborhoods to explore.

just my views!

Thanks guys. I'm also applying to UPENN (reach), so I want to make sure I'll enjoy the city. My girlfriend is moving with me wherever I go, and it sounds like there are plenty of things to keep her busy. Temple sounds really good. I hope they like my secondary. Maybe if I end up there I'll run into you guys!

Hey Doc Octopus--

just to echo what everyone else has said, Temple itself is very cool and very safe. I worked there for a summer and really enjoyed it. The area outside Temple is rough (very rough for Sweet Tea, the girl from rural NC). I got lost there a couple of times and it was unpleasant. The rest of Philly is really cool-- great restaurants and museums, lots to do, especially in the Manayunk area. I really enjoyed living there and I wish I had applied to Temple along with MCP-Drexel. Just my $.02!

wow temple is getting a lot of love - and i wanna add some more... i'm from the philly area and have volunteered at the temple hospitals downtown. much like einsteins hospitals in nyc, you get to see some incredible stuff. talk about emergency medicine - they always seem to have a couple [emergencies]. the thing about the neighborhood is that it completely depends upon what your tolerance is. some people call some areas ghetto or warzones because they are comparing it to some country club they live in. granted temple isn't the best of areas - but it is relateively safe if you aren't stupid, and lighted as people have mentioned. i don't know much about the school, but my surgeon went there and was awesome (like that sample size? n=1). and philly is pretty dece too.

edit: not saying that people that find the temple area rough are living in country clubs or snooty!:) just a relateive comfort level.

Originally posted by AmateurChef
Temple asks for recommendations from faculty in two of the three major sciences: bio, chem, physics. Do you think they would consider two bio recommendations if I explain why I have those instead of chem/physics?

AmChef

email them and ask

i didn't apply to temple, because of the area it is in. with my blonde hair and young/innocent look, i feel like i'm an easy target and feel like i would really stand out in the neighborhood near temple. people often bug me on the street, and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. i worked in downtown oakland one summer and didn't feel all that safe there. i wouldn't want to feel like that for 4 years.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
I wish I had applied to Temple along with MCP-Drexel. Just my $.02!

well, it wouldn't be too late, would it? just curious

When you are in
then we can chat more.

I meant begging for a spot because our app are still lingering in admission offices.

Originally posted by DW

wait, where is this coming from?:confused:

dude... i don't know! if anything, my post was the most negative, but i wasn't putting down temple in any way -- just the neighborhood.

i still don't understand, patient. it sounds like everyone here likes temple (except for lola, and she just didn't like temple's area. feel free to correct me, lola).

i'm confused... please clarify. :confused:

I think Temple seems to be very community- and service-oriented. But that's just me.

Originally posted by kaos
I think Temple seems to be very community- and service-oriented. But that's just me.

It is. Temple has tons of outreach programs etc. This is definitly another positive for TUSM