Who on SDN influenced you most?

Started by allantois
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, the other ones who inspire me are those who, every time I get butt-hurt from someone trolling me on here causing me to contemplate going off SDN for good, private message me and say, "I really appreciate your posts. Don't go." I'd name names, but they know who they are, as only a few souls are brave enough to admit they value my posts on the open forums. I can't say I blame them. Lol.

it's not everyday that you get people that tell you how it really is
if i had a dollar for every time some academic fed me bull**** i'd have no med school debt
i always like reading your posts in the em section, they're obviously carefully thought out and well written
 
it's not everyday that you get people that tell you how it really is
if i had a dollar for every time some academic fed me bull**** i'd have no med school debt
i always like reading your posts in the em section, they're obviously carefully thought out and well written
Thanks.

I would also be debt free, if I had a dollar for every line of BS I was told (and for a time believed) along the way, also. I guess that's what motivates me to post so much. It even amazes me, how much BS people post anonymously online here, only to have a post quoted from some time in the past where they said the opposite, exposing their own BS.

Thanks again
 
Me.

Honestly, SDN is one of the most useful things I ever had for medical school. See what people used and liked for the boards was probably the most important thing in my success. I went through about 30-40 posts figuring out what teh consensus best books were. So those 40 random posters from 2002 and 2003 were the most important SDNers.

and @Doctora Foxy because she was hot.

and @UCLA2000 for being one of the most arrogant stuck up people and making me realize why people hate SDN. Nick Naylor falls into this category.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
and @Doctora Foxy because she was hot.
Interesting choice of tense...she better not be your SO who also comes here...
How do you know she WAS hot? Maybe she WAS a really old and not-so-good looking male gynecologist posting with a really sexy SDN handle? (it's not a joke on @gyngyn)
 
@Goro because he isn't afraid to point out people's BS and he's a firm and knowledgeable advocate for Osteopathic Medicine as well as a sage-like source of knowledge and, I'm sure, a great dad.
@Mad Jack because he has some great perspectives on a variety of different things and he's always very open during a discussion.
And everyone who has benefited from any advice I've given because that keeps me interested in sharing what I know.
 
@Goro because he isn't afraid to point out people's BS and he's a firm and knowledgeable advocate for Osteopathic Medicine as well as a sage-like source of knowledge and, I'm sure, a great dad.
@Mad Jack because he has some great perspectives on a variety of different things and he's always very open during a discussion.
And everyone who has benefited from any advice I've given because that keeps me interested in sharing what I know.
Aw, thanks! I enjoy our discussions greatly as well!
 
Goro blushes 2x!
👍
@Goro because he isn't afraid to point out people's BS and he's a firm and knowledgeable advocate for Osteopathic Medicine as well as a sage-like source of knowledge and, I'm sure, a great dad.
@Mad Jack because he has some great perspectives on a variety of different things and he's always very open during a discussion.
And everyone who has benefited from any advice I've given because that keeps me interested in sharing what I know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd never turn down an opportunity to be mushy.

@Phloston was my #1 influence in getting my head in the game for Step 1. It's hard to overestimate how influential he was on my preparation and performance on Step 1.
@001100010010011 is my main man, my SDN bro.
@ChessMaster3000 is the personality I aspire to have.
 
and @UCLA2000 for being one of the most arrogant stuck up people and making me realize why people hate SDN. Nick Naylor falls into this category.
Ok, I'm not understanding some of the hate some people have for @NickNaylor (You're like the second person, and some not important soon to be radiologist, I forget his name). Did I miss something he did? Did he sleep with your gf or mother or something? He has hardly been "arrogant" and "stuck up".
 
All of those that were posted and then some. Good job. Also, Blue Dog is the man. Cabin B is a gutsy broad. I like that. Q is ever the voice of reason.
And also, Gonnif from oldpremeds. He is always giving good info.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hahaha. Loving everyone. . .the unspoken, social kiss of death. 😉
1333440281640.gif
 
By the way... I do need to throw out a second thanks to @Catalystik

See, I originally came here as a troll. Catalystik laid the ***** slap down on me when I was too snarky with a couple people and, for whatever reason, I decided to switch to not trolling the hell out of everyone. If it weren't for Cat saying "that isn't what this site is about" and making me stahp, I wouldn't have done a lot of things on SDN, from providing personal advice about my school to meeting my roommate, to meeting some of my best friends.
 
If I hadn't found this site I wouldn't be trying to get in to med school right now, plain and simple. Before I joined, med school admissions were a huge mystery to me, which is why I shied away. All I knew is you need to get solid grades, do some volunteering, and deal with this exam from hell called the MCAT.

I haven't started to apply yet but posts from people like @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn and @LizzyM have given me so much information and guidance that I feel WAY more confident than I did a year ago. Their posts in pre-allo, specifically WAMC threads are a godsend for clueless people like myself who want to become medical doctors but have no idea how to go about doing it. THANK YOU, I have much love and respect for all of you :=|:-):
 
Ok, I'm not understanding some of the hate some people have for @NickNaylor (You're like the second person, and some not important soon to be radiologist, I forget his name). Did I miss something he did? Did he sleep with your gf or mother or something? He has hardly been "arrogant" and "stuck up".

Well, two different people have said it. Once is a coincidence. Twice??

For me, it is my personal interactions with him on here and how I have seen him interact with other people on this board. He is obviously smarter than most people and feels the need to treat people as if they are inferior than him. I've seen him do it multiple times. You will run into a lot of doctors like this as you go throughout training. Maybe he has changed, but it is totally the reason people hate pre-meds.
 
@Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik @gyngyn for all of the advice, past and present, that brought me to this site in the first place. It's nice to have an inside, pragmatic look inside something as scary and mysterious as admissions. They have also done a great job of humanizing the people behind the table for us. It's easy to forget there are actual human beings on the adcom when the path tries to make you into a robot yourself.


@DermViser for being the "counterpoint" in almost every "point, counterpoint" on this board. His posts are the antithesis of the bright-eyed, blind optimism pre-meds have for medicine but they provide a necessary perspective.

@SN2ed for his MCAT prep schedule that I'll be fixing up for the 2015 mcat. He probably saved hundreds of sdn premeds many hours of work and effort.

@neusu for one of the longest running and most comprehensive looks at the finer details of life in neurosurgery.

@all the residents who still come back and post on the board, their input is truly invaluable.

@mmmcdowe for actually enjoying medical school, I hope he's having fun in Nsurg.

@anyone who posts helpful information in the school specific threads. This process is mysterious and opaque, as long as sdn keeps decentralizing this information so that have a better idea of what's going on - even if it is just to ease our neuroticism - then SDN has value.
 
Well, two different people have said it. Once is a coincidence. Twice??

For me, it is my personal interactions with him on here and how I have seen him interact with other people on this board. He is obviously smarter than most people and feels the need to treat people as if they are inferior than him. I've seen him do it multiple times. You will run into a lot of doctors like this as you go throughout training. Maybe he has changed, but it is totally the reason people hate pre-meds.
the way you talk about him you'd think he was gtown's dean of admission or something
 
@Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik @gyngyn for all of the advice, past and present, that brought me to this site in the first place. It's nice to have an inside, pragmatic look inside something as scary and mysterious as admissions. They have also done a great job of humanizing the people behind the table for us. It's easy to forget there are actual human beings on the adcom when the path tries to make you into a robot yourself.


@DermViser for being the "counterpoint" in almost every "point, counterpoint" on this board. His posts are the antithesis of the bright-eyed, blind optimism pre-meds have for medicine but they provide a necessary perspective.

@SN2ed for his MCAT prep schedule that I'll be fixing up for the 2015 mcat. He probably saved hundreds of sdn premeds many hours of work and effort.

@neusu for one of the longest running and most comprehensive looks at the finer details of life in neurosurgery.

@all the residents who still come back and post on the board, their input is truly invaluable.

@mmmcdowe for actually enjoying medical school, I hope he's having fun in Nsurg.

@anyone who posts helpful information in the school specific threads. This process is mysterious and opaque, as long as sdn keeps decentralizing this information so that have a better idea of what's going on - even if it is just to ease our neuroticism - then SDN has value.

Indeed I am. 135 operative cases and counting.
 
the way you talk about him you'd think he was gtown's dean of admission or something

Ehh..... That was so boring and obvious that it didn't even come close to bring a smile. You could have went with:

Did he show you up as a resident when he was on your rotation and knew everything you didn't?

Did he run over your cat??

I've heard he is actually the son of Gtowns admission director.

You are just mad that his grudge over getting his brownie stolen in pre-school is longer than your grudge with Georgetown.


I just think he is the kind of medical student who screams at a nurse or tech.
 
Ehh..... That was so boring and obvious that it didn't even come close to bring a smile. You could have went with:

Did he show you up as a resident when he was on your rotation and knew everything you didn't?

Did he run over your cat??

I've heard he is actually the son of Gtowns admission director.

You are just mad that his grudge over getting his brownie stolen in pre-school is longer than your grudge with Georgetown.


I just think he is the kind of medical student who screams at a nurse or tech.


I think it's either the brownie grudge or he did run over your cat...which would be awful!
 
Ehh..... That was so boring and obvious that it didn't even come close to bring a smile. You could have went with:

Did he show you up as a resident when he was on your rotation and knew everything you didn't?

Did he run over your cat??

I've heard he is actually the son of Gtowns admission director.

You are just mad that his grudge over getting his brownie stolen in pre-school is longer than your grudge with Georgetown.


I just think he is the kind of medical student who screams at a nurse or tech.
but you on the other hand seem so pleasant.
 
what a great thread! thanks for keeping it positive OP! I would second the @SN2ed shoutout. Definitely wouldn't have gotten into school without the study plan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Um, no he isn't. I understand you might be annoyed by him, but he's hardly that kind of person.

Granted, I am holding something against him from 4 years ago, but I've seen him do the same thing to other people. Go read pages 3-5 of my favorite thread, and you can see why I think of him the way I do.