Who on SDN influenced you most?

Started by allantois
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, not one of you has really nailed it yet, on this thread (unless I missed it somewhere). The one who certainly must be said to have influenced everyone, just a touch more than anyone else, would be the one that gave all of the rest of us a place to influence and be influenced. Hats off to the real winner, creator of SDN,

@Lee
 
Can we please return this thread to positive SDN influences rather than what is amounting to a call out thread/grudge against a specific user?
Why? Isn't it time for the airing of the grievances?
giphy.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Goro is the one for me. I have no idea who you are or where you are located, but I owe you a lot for your advice, expertise, knowledge and insight on this site. I wish someday to shake your hand! Check out all of the messages and internalize them!
 
Even though I'm relatively new here I want to thank @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn and @LizzyM for being so helpful and taking time out of your busy schedule to answer everyone's questions as well as help, guide, advise and encourage us. You guys have given me hope and confidence and it is really because of you all that I can sincerely believe that medicine is still a viable career option. And I can't thank you enough for that. I know it's easy to laugh at a neurotic pre-med but worrying about certain aspects about the admissions is really emotionally difficult at times so thank you for your reassurance and for always addressing our needs and providing realistic guidance.

So again, thank you for everything and I am SO beyond grateful for all that you do here on Student Doctor Network!
 
Goro was the man for me! I know there are so many on here that were mentioned above who gave of themselves to help. I am beyond grateful also. Face it, we are ALL neurotic pre-med. I don't care how excellent your stats are, we are all in the same boat..............just trying to attain a dream. My family and friends got so sick of me through this process of uncertainty. They would see me coming and run away. Goro did not have the freedom to do that. I read practically all of his sites about applying, interviewing, lists etc! Thank you Goro and the ones mentioned. I believe in Karma!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of people. I have a few that indirectly on the residency forums just keep me energized and going during stressful times,
But overall Goro for sure. "There are schools that reward reinvention". I hope I dont have that quote wrong, because its on replay in my head every week.
 
So I decided to make a positive thread here 😛

Tell us what member (or members) of SDN have made the biggest influence on you.

Perhaps you wouldn't get into med school without their advice/ or they saved you from making a terrible decision/ or whatever.

@mimelim for being a physics enthusiast, computer whiz, a gamer and a rockclimbing lover. All while being a surgery resident out of all things.

@LizzyM @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn for being the four pillar adcoms to support the transition to medical school (there are more adcoms, but these are the sturdiest 😛)

@DokterMom for being great to talk to for advice and women's related issues, even for a clueless guy like me.

@Law2Doc for being a lawyer/doctor in need for anything. And the universal Caribbean myth smasher.

@IlDestriero @Tired @WingedOx @22031 Alum @neusu @Winged Scapula for being awesome residents and attendings who tolerated patiently with preallo irrationality and provide very helpful advice.

And everyone else in the entire SDN forum for being supportive.

(Apologies for overtagging but consider this as a pretty epic Lawper Award 😉)

Edit: Also include @SouthernSurgeon @mmmcdowe @Narmerguy @NickNaylor and @darkjedi. But really, everyone is incredible in their own way so it's difficult to choose a specific.
 
Last edited:
I just help out; the others named here do all the heavy lifting. And don't forget @hushcom and @gonnif!

@mimelim for being a physics enthusiast, computer whiz, a gamer and a rockclimbing lover. All while being a surgery resident out of all things.

@LizzyM @Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn for being the four pillar adcoms to support the transition to medical school (there are more adcoms, but these are the sturdiest 😛)

@DokterMom for being great to talk to for advice and women's related issues, even for a clueless guy like me.

@Law2Doc for being a lawyer/doctor in need for anything. And the universal Caribbean myth smasher.

@IlDestriero @Tired @WingedOx @22031 Alum @neusu @Winged Scapula for being awesome residents and attendings who tolerated patiently with preallo irrationality and provide very helpful advice.

And everyone else in the entire SDN forum for being supportive.

(Apologies for overtagging but consider this as a pretty epic Lawper Award 😉)

Edit: Also include @SouthernSurgeon @mmmcdowe @Narmerguy @NickNaylor and @darkjedi. But really, everyone is incredible in their own way so it's difficult to choose a specific.
 
Any member of an admissions committee who so regularly takes time out of their busy schedule, undoubtedly involving research and/or clinical committments, application reviews and interviews, as well as personal and family life, is highly deserving of respect. These people embody the altruism that medical schools find so desirable and help to raise future generations of doctors with the same values.
 
I have learned a lot from pretty much everyone. The adcoms are especially helpful. Things such as the MCAT section are invaluable resources. I doubt I would've even came close to being competitive without this site's help, especially for MD schools. It is great to hear and learn from the perspectives of those at various levels of the process, whether pre-meds or attendings. Some posts that really stuck with me were Goro's "4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen"; Goro's "about 50% of the applicants have no business being anywhere near a medical school, even as a cadaver"; and elfle's research he posted about GPA-and-MCAT correlation at WashU vs. at state schools.
 
I have learned a lot from pretty much everyone. The adcoms are especially helpful. Things such as the MCAT section are invaluable resources. I doubt I would've even came close to being competitive without this site's help, especially for MD schools. It is great to hear and learn from the perspectives of those at various levels of the process, whether pre-meds or attendings. Some posts that really stuck with me were Goro's "4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen"; Goro's "about 50% of the applicants have no business being anywhere near a medical school, even as a cadaver"; and elfle's research he posted about GPA-and-MCAT correlation at WashU vs. at state schools.

I laughed
 
You're all my kids!
😍
@Catalystik - for just being Cat.

@Goro - gives some of the best advice west of St Louis. 😉 And for listening to me flip out over PM from time to time, he gets a gold star (as well as a happy father's day, we are allowed to all adopt you right Goro?)

I would tag @LizzyM but her avatar scares me. 😉
 
@Goro has influenced me most for sure. I have only been an active part of the community for a short time, but his comments on my posts, as well as the post of others, has helped a ton.

I also would like to give @LizzyM a special mention. She has given some great advice too.
 
@Catalystik - for just being Cat.

@Goro - gives some of the best advice west of St Louis. 😉 And for listening to me flip out over PM from time to time, he gets a gold star (as well as a happy father's day, we are allowed to all adopt you right Goro?)

I would tag @LizzyM but her avatar scares me. 😉

Don't forget that Goro is also a cat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A couple of premeds have stopped me from making poor decisions. Like the guy who threatened his professor. Or the guy who threatened another student. Or the guy who forged a professor's signature.
 
@Goro and @LizzyM immediately come to mind, from providing answers on the main threads, to taking the time to respond to my annoying, neurotic PM's 😛 Also @22031 Alum for taking the time to read my personal statement and offering detailed, quality feedback! 🙂

But all the adcoms on here have provided some seriously valuable insight, the thread with @Catalystik helped me immensely while filling out my Activities/AMCAS and I know for a fact that my application is much better because of it!

Thanks a ton to all that have helped thus far
 
@Goro for editing both my MD and DO school lists multiple times, discussing my ECs, advising on the DO application process, advising on the MD application process, holding my hand through this process and just generally putting up with my neurotic PMs.

@LizzyM for reviewing my disadvantaged essay, which relieved a lot more stress than I ever should have had in the first place.

@22031 Alum for reviewing my personal statement.

@Catalystik for helping me with the activities section AMCAS.

@DokterMom for always being constructive and supportive and offering insight on ideas for secondaries.

@XxThaDoggxX for commiserating with me throughout this entire process and being a study buddy during MCAT season, even though you forgot to give me a shout-out in your own post.

...Good grief, I have to be the most dependent person on this forum. Thanks guys, I couldn't do it without you!
 
Major props to gonnif b/c I only "hear" him giving constructive insight and seems very objective and unbiased. I appreciate someone that goes out of their way to give balanced yet informative perspectives. 👍
 
Goro helped me out a bunch
Catalystic was awesome in the work/activities thread
Any my cohort in the Jan 2014 MCAT thread
 
@Goro posted on my first thread with very constructive criticism and helpful advice. Thank you for that. I do enjoy having an argument every now and again just to keep you on your feet, though. Yes, I'm aware I'm wrong 98.5% of the time, but it's still fun.

@gyngyn has helped so many (including me) formulate school lists it isn't even funny. I also find myself nodding mightily at many of your posts, often agreeing wholeheartedly at the wise but stern comments you're directing towards others. I've also noticed your work in the wait list thread. It's kind of you to seek out such information for them.

@Catalystik helped me a bit with the activities section (and 3,678,984,154 other applicants). Props to you, good sir or ma'am (I'm unsure as to which you are).

@caffeinemia was kind enough to give me advice on how to approach my personal statement. I was able to form an outline from these wise words, and eventually I wrote something I didn't expect from myself, quite honestly. Oh, and he or she is extremely humble (or am I searching for another word?).

There are many others, but quite honestly I have to simply thank the forum itself. When I first started frequenting the website, I was quite uninformed and likely would have been in a much worse situation than I am at this moment in time. It's amazing to see so many kind-hearted people give help to those going through a scary process.

Kudos to you, SDN. You're all beautiful people.
 
@Goro posted on my first thread with very constructive criticism and helpful advice. Thank you for that. I do enjoy having an argument every now and again just to keep you on your feet, though. Yes, I'm aware I'm wrong 98.5% of the time, but it's still fun.

@gyngyn has helped so many (including me) formulate school lists it isn't even funny. I also find myself nodding mightily at many of your posts, often agreeing wholeheartedly at the wise but stern comments you're directing towards others. I've also noticed your work in the wait list thread. It's kind of you to seek out such information for them.

@Catalystik helped me a bit with the activities section (and 3,678,984,154 other applicants). Props to you, good sir or ma'am (I'm unsure as to which you are).

@caffeinemia was kind enough to give me advice on how to approach my personal statement. I was able to form an outline from these wise words, and eventually I wrote something I didn't expect from myself, quite honestly. Oh, and he or she is extremely humble (or am I searching for another word?).

There are many others, but quite honestly I have to simply thank the forum itself. When I first started frequenting the website, I was quite uninformed and likely would have been in a much worse situation than I am at this moment in time. It's amazing to see so many kind-hearted people give help to those going through a scary process.

Kudos to you, SDN. You're all beautiful people.

Let's be real. I'm far from humble. Unless that "humble" is followed by "brag." Glory in my self promotion/deprecating and subtly ironic humor!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't believe no one has mentioned the overseer of the MD/PhD forum, @Neuronix

Of course, hats off to the ADCOMs for their generous and enthusiastic help. You guys make me want to be an ADCOM myself in the far future. And thanks to the forums on the whole.

It is a bit of a shark tank here, but what people don't understand is that SDN is insurance Read enough of it, become paranoid enough, and you'll make the right choices.

I could never have made it as far as I have without SDN.
 
I can't believe no one has mentioned the overseer of the MD/PhD forum, @Neuronix

Of course, hats off to the ADCOMs for their generous and enthusiastic help. You guys make me want to be an ADCOM myself in the far future. And thanks to the forums on the whole.

It is a bit of a shark tank here, but what people don't understand is that SDN is insurance Read enough of it, become paranoid enough, and you'll make the right choices.

I could never have made it as far as I have without SDN.

That is a good point, but i figure we were referring strictly to MD-only. In that case, i'll throw in @Fencer and @QofQuimica as well. And all the superdocs in charge of monitoring the residency forums although @Doctor Bob in particular is pretty humorous.
 
My turn to chime in!

Goro has historically helped me, from my WAMC thread months ago to personal messages about secondaries even today. Thanks for all your help, good sir. It really helps having anonymous good samaritans I can come to online because the resources at my UC school are just really sub-par.

Also, even though I haven't actually posted in the thread, Catalystik's help in the work/activities thread was immensely helpful. Thanks for devoting so much of your time!

If I ever get into medical school, I hope I can participate in the ADCOM one day and pay it forward. Y'all are the best. This community is great (other than that guy with the 37 asking how to explain his 9 in verbal /worldssmallestviolin/).