Who pays for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlycoNE1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm pretty green about the whole application/interview process but who traditionally pays for the MD/PhD interviews? I've been receiving interview invites and don't know if it's evil to ask, "Hey, are you going to fly me out there and put me up in a hotel?" Also, for those of you who are interview veterans already, if offered a choice between staying with a student host or the Comfort Inn, which option would be advantageous to the whole experience?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of schools do not pay for transportation costs to the school. Some schools will offer to pay for a hotel while you are there. Almost all schools will offer you a student host and will cover just about all meals. If they didn't specifically say that they were covering travel costs, I would assume that they aren't (The only schools that I have encountered that do so far are Wash U, Duke, and U Wash).

In terms of picking between student host and a hotel, I have gone with student hosts because it is another perspective on the program and you get to see what it is like in one case to live in that city.

Nothing (except some food)
UT-Southwestern (first interview, unless there is extreme financial need)

Hotel and Food Only
University of Minnesota, UC-Irvine, Northwestern

Hotel, Food, and Limited Travel Costs (ie airport shuttle, parking)

Everything (except alcohol!)
UT-Southwestern (second interview), UW-Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen and heard so far, the midwest schools are big on paying for their applicants and they also seem to have a reputation for having awesome second look weekends. Outside of these, I would assume that other top schools will not pay for your trip unless they specifically say so.

Definitely stay with a student host if given the opportunity. As clockitnow said, this will give you a nice perspective on the program and the city. Also, the school normally sets you up with a student who works in your area, so this is your chance to get the inside info on faculty that you may be working/interacting with in the future.

Hotel and Food Only
University of Minnesota, UC-Irvine, Northwestern

UT-Southwestern (second interview), University of Michigan, UW-Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Vanderbilt[/QUOTE]

Everything (including alcohol!)
WashU

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's program won't cover expenses but the PhD programs that you are accepted into will very most likely cover it. University of Illinois at Chicago's program covers your expenses. From what I remember Northwestern program's pays for your hotel and meals while you're there not travel though.

Hotel and Food Only
University of Minnesota, UC-Irvine, Northwestern, UPenn (+Night on town)

UT-Southwestern (second interview), University of Michigan, UW-Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Vanderbilt[/QUOTE]

Everything (including alcohol!)
WashU