Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Who to shadow

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by combatwombat, Dec 30, 2008.

1. combatwombat

7+ Year Member

I am starting to look into shadowing a physician to get a better feel for the profession, but am not sure whether to look for an MD or a DO to shadow. My nontrad profile and relatively low UG GPA seems to make DO a more likely option for me, but I think allopathic could still be in the cards.

So, my question is who should I shadow? Would allopathic shools look less favorably upon time spend shadowing a doctor if s/he is a DO? Would DO's schools not take me seriously unless I had spent time shadowing a DO? Not sure which way I should go, any advice would be much appreciated as always.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've shadowed both an MD and a DO, and there wasn't much of a difference in the experiences. Since I'm not on an adcom, I can't say whether allo schools would look down on shadowing a DO.

But I would venture to say they see it as valuable clinical experience, regardless of who you shadow.

4. NurWollen

NurWollen Strong with the Force
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do both, if you can...though I don't think it's a big deal either way. A small number of DO schools prefer/require you to shadow a DO, but and MD would be better than nothing. I don't think MD schools really care either way.

5. wepio

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've shadowed both in the ED and can not honestly say that I noticed any real difference. Granted, I have also shadowed PA's and there is a slight difference there. Regardless, I think spending time with any medical professional - be it an MD/DO/PA/NP - schools will see that as positive clinical exposure (just remember to mix it up a little). No, perhaps some DO schools may require specifically a DO shadow/reference, I haven't found on yet. The only thing I've read is that some DO school's require a physician reference. Good luck, and have fun!

6. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most DO schools want you to shadow a DO so I would definitely do that. I would just shadow them both that way you are covered all around.

7. doctor712

Removed 2+ Year Member

And to add to the other thoughts about shadowing both DOs and MDs, I would suggest not only shooting for both DOs and MDs, but really checking out a few different specialties if you can. You can find MDs and DOs in all specialties and subspecialties. So, make sure you shadow some hospital-based physicians if you can, some office and private practice based ones to, academic clinicians also. Seeing the differences from hospital to hospital and office to office can give you a flavor for the profession as well.

There's a huge difference, for example, in the practices of academic and private practice anesthesiologists. One may teach residents all day long, handle all sorts of cases, hopping from case to case, another might spend ALL day with one patient, and only do hearts, at the most.

See as much as you can and make great impressions!

Good luck
    D712