Who to talk to at Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandonite

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just informed that Mayo does take internationals for their MSTP. Does anyone know the best person to talk to there about questions about the application?

Thanks!

Kris.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just start with Jane Satre, the admissions coordinator. She is incredibly helpful and nice. Give the admissions office a call. If you have any questions about the application process, let me know, although I didn't apply MSTP. There is at least one Mayo-MSTPer out there...JJ4 is his handle. Good luck. Hope to see you in Rochester next year...

Hey Kris!

How goes it?? Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. I actually just got back from vacationing. I figured I'd get it in earlier in the summer being that rotations begin July 1st.

Anyways -- regarding your post...I would suggest Rick McGee ([email protected]) to be the person to talk to. He is the admissions coordinator for the program. Moses Rodriguez ([email protected]) is the director and you could try him too. However, in my experience Rick is very personable and glad to help anyone that's interested in the program (and he replies fairly quickly as well). Other than that, if you have any questions please don't hesitate in PMing me.

Take care :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, both of you!

mpp - all of my questions are very MSTP specific, so I will probably focus on talking to the people JJ4 has mentioned first.

JJ4 - I will try Rick McGee first. I have basically decided to reapply MD/PhD, and Mayo would be one of my top choices, because they are both so close to home, and because it is a great program that takes international students. I want to go to the school and look around, and get a bit of feedback as to my potential chances there. I don't really want to decline my MD-only admission with a full scholarship if I have no chance at getting in!

Hi Kris,
This may be a little off topic, but I have a question for international applicants. I was for a while international too, except I got my greencard recently! Thank god. Anyway, I have a very good friend and very promising candidate who is an international. I have a rough estimate, but what sort of profiles and stats do you think is competitive for med school, in particular MSTP, for an international? I know NIH generally do not offer funding, but there are private fundings. (Not trying to intrude on your privacy, but what makes you decide to reapply after a successful MD acceptance? I've heard that applying MSTP from an MD program is much easier.)

Thanks!

Sean

I was accepted with a full tuition scholarship into a Canadian school. But the MD/PhD program doesn't exist just yet at this school, and the students that are pushing for it seem really frustrated. And I would not have any funding, if said program does eventually get established. Hence, it's far from an ideal situation.

I don't know that you need amazing stats or anything as an international MSTP. Original and Sonic sorta wrote the book on this whole area. There are a number of schools that are very friendly to internationals - I think there is a thread on this on the next page listing all of those schools. You probably need stats above average and above average research experience, but it really is hard to get too much more specific than that.

WashU is by far the friendliest school out there for international MSTPs.