Who took the MCAT without any prep course and how did you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darksmurf

I'm the boy smurf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see what folks out there didn't take any prep courses and if it has been working out for them so far in this cycle. Also, I'm curious if the money was the big factor, or the time, or what.

(For Dr. Two, JD, MD: I posted this here and not on the MCAT forum because I am would like to know how people are did this who are applying to MD schools this year, and because the MCAT forum has no traffic.)

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, you can share me! <3 Teehee.

No!...sharing is for Indians

Why is it more about practice? Isn't it enough to like know the material? I mean I think I'm pretty good at spacing my time out.

It's about practice because the exam is very different from your typical science exams...For instance they don't just ask you questions on newtonian mechanics...they'll have some crazy passage that has something to do with it and you will be asked questions which will require you to use your knowledge of newtonian mechanics (assuming you realize you need to use newtonian mechanics for the questions)...the first time i looked at one of the exams I was like wtf?! The orgo sections don't even require you to 'know' orgo...its like logic-based. Basically you could know all the material inside out and still do crappy because the test format seems weird to you, this is why practice is integral. I know many people whose knowledge about the subject matter (especially physics) is way better than mine, but I repeatedly did better than them on the PS section because of practice.

No!...sharing is for Indians

It's about practice because the exam is very different from your typical science exams...For instance they don't just ask you questions on newtonian mechanics...they'll have some crazy passage that has something to do with it and you will be asked questions which will require you to use your knowledge of newtonian mechanics (assuming you realize you need to use newtonian mechanics for the questions)...the first time i looked at one of the exams I was like wtf?! The orgo sections don't even require you to 'know' orgo...its like logic-based. Basically you could know all the material inside out and still do crappy because the test format seems weird to you, this is why practice is integral. I know many people whose knowledge about the subject matter (especially physics) is way better than mine, but I repeatedly did better than them on the PS section because of practice.

Ohh.... well crap. Maybe I should take the kaplan course AND the princeton course.

Sharing is caring. You do care about me.......... don't you?! *crys*

Ohh.... well crap. Maybe I should take the kaplan course AND the princeton course.

Sharing is caring. You do care about me.......... don't you?! *crys*

Haha fine...damn it you and SDN are too distracting...must finish this damn neurolinguistics paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it more about practice? Isn't it enough to like know the material? I mean I think I'm pretty good at spacing my time out.
Timing wasn't the issue for me. Doing practice problems is the way I study for everything because it's the only real way to make sure I'm actually retaining the information I'm studying. Also, it's the best way of learning HOW those concepts are going to be tested. The MCAT is not a straight regurgitation test, and it can take some time to learn how to approach its questions. After all, the MCAT is mostly passage-based (ie here's an experiment, now interpret the results). For those questions, it's not about knowing outside material but being able to critically analyze the info given to you and practicing passages helps you hone the necessary critical thinking skills.

Also, IMO, the amount of stuff you need to know for the MCAT is greatly exaggerated. You should NOT waste your time trying to memorize every detail from every one of your science courses - that would only confuse and frustrate you and be a waste of time. The Kaplan books (and probably PR and EK too) cover all you need to know.

Haha fine...damn it you and SDN are too distracting...must finish this damn neurolinguistics paper.
omg! i'm so sorry! ok go do your thing.

Timing wasn't the issue for me. Doing practice problems is the way I study for everything because it's the only real way to make sure I'm actually retaining the information I'm studying. Also, it's the best way of learning HOW those concepts are going to be tested. The MCAT is not a straight regurgitation test, and it can take some time to learn how to approach its questions. After all, the MCAT is mostly passage-based (ie here's an experiment, now interpret the results). For those questions, it's not about knowing outside material but being able to critically analyze the info given to you and practicing passages helps you hone the necessary critical thinking skills.

Also, IMO, the amount of stuff you need to know for the MCAT is greatly exaggerated. You should NOT waste your time trying to memorize every detail from every one of your science courses - that would only confuse and frustrate you and be a waste of time. The Kaplan books (and probably PR and EK too) cover all you need to know.

That's what i was wondering exactly, I dont think i need to know every detail. so yeah i guess that is what i'll be doing, i have old old kaplan practice tests but i dont think the type of questions will change so i'll just study those and take the princeton class. hmm. yeah. well thanks guys i actually do feel better now.

I thought the Kaplan book went way too much into detail. PR & Gold Standard books were about right. If I had to do it over again I would use the Gold Standard for my primary text and do more AAMC practice tests.

Just put a lot of work into it and you'll be fine. I went from making 26 on practice MCAT's before self-study to making a 39 on the real thing. (with lots of hellish backbreaking work)

Wait but I was going to register for a course...........are they bad =(

I found it really helpful in the sense that it kinda forced me to study to keep up with the homework, etc. Of course mostly this was because I had to work full-time, so if you left it up to me I'd just be too exhausted after work to do anything.

But having to go to this class where all these neurotic pre-meds had been studying all day, really reminded me that I had to hustle to keep up.

If I had a lot of time to myself and enough self control I'm sure studying by myself would have been equally effective more or less, I don't think I really learned that much in class, except maybe I could ask about a couple bio and physics things.

Oh and yeah, Kaplan's books go totally overboard on the Physical sciences...it had me scared sh*tless, so I probably focused too much on it instead of focusing more on bio in the last few weeks. Doh. So if you take Kaplan, definitely look at the AAMC tests' Physical sciences before freaking out too much and memorizing too many formulas that'll end up being given anyway.

However, one could argue that it's better to be way overprepared. I do know that I probably wouldn't have gotten the 12 in PS if they hadn't freaked me out so much, lol.

Studied on my own:

Looked at MCAT "syllabus" and wikipedia'd stuff that I had forgotten or needed refreshing on...........took most of the AAMC practice tests........used Examcrackers 101 Verbal passages for extra practice in verbal.......neglected writing all together..............39/O

I studied by my own. I purchased Exam Bracker Exam 1,23 & 2 Kaplan Tests, 1 Princeton and all online e-MCAT. The key is PRACTICE and PRACTICE. Whenever you have time, take a question and think about it.
My first MCAT verbal was 3, I moved to 8 last time. Total 29P, MD accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are way too many people with 40s in here. Either the people on SDN are that much smarter than your average bear, or people should be less gullible. Despite that, I should probably admit that I'm a 40 too. O:)

I took Kaplan, and it was completely worthless except for their materials and that they make you take 5 full practice tests. I would've quit after a week of "strategies", if I hadn't done well enough on their evaluation test that I was guaranteed a 35 or my money back if I attended every class.

I would highly recommend everyone take the evaluation test for free, as for blowing the money on the course, use your judgment (and your account balance). Aside from some basic science knowledge, I'd say the MCAT is more of a reasoning test than an achievement test, so if you know the basics it will probably mirror your SATs.

I studied on my own for two months before the test. I worked pretty hard too, and only ended up with a 28N. I think the course could have helped me but I couldn't afford them. I think I wouild've done better had I been straight out of college, but it had been 3 years since I'd taken any classes, I was 5 months pregnant, had a 2 year old to deal with, and I was working full time.
So all in all, I guess I did all right.

Signed up for the course- felt it wasn't helping me, couldn't get myself to go to class- got a refund within the first week. Studied on my own. 40S

Same story here, but I saw the light a week too late for the refund. Wound up with a 41. If you're willing to study on your own, kaplan is a waste of money. Still, some of my classmates with different study habits found the course usefull.

I heard the MCAT is easier these days, and it only lasts 4 hours ie fewer questions. Is that true?

The first time I took the MCAT I did the Princeton Review Course and scored a 29. I retook it in April and studied with their books and the Examkrackers 1001 question series and got a 35.

I heard the MCAT is easier these days, and it only lasts 4 hours ie fewer questions. Is that true?

Shorter length and fewer questions is hardly an indication of an evaluation being "easier." The difficulty should be comparable to past tests, and the results are standardized anyway.

I took it without studying anything and got a 32P. I wonder if it's worth retaking if I took a prep class...

I signed up for Princeton. The class was useless. I studied on my own, took a boatload of practice tests.

40Q.

I took it without studying anything and got a 32P. I wonder if it's worth retaking if I took a prep class...

I heard of someone spanking a 37 cold, no studying.

I personally had a 21 on my diag, but then after a month of studying, increased that baby by 19 points. boom.

I was thinking about taking a prep course to get myself motivated to study, but my brother talked me out of it. Instead, I studied the Kaplan Comprehensive Review over six months whenever I got home from the lab, bought all the available official practice exams, and started working on the practice exams a few weeks before the actual MCAT. I managed to pull a 40Q. And probably all for naught, since I havn't gotten an interview yet!

so in conclusion, if you study on your own you will get a 40S or Q. Or at least this thread would seem to indicate such.

Hi you guys -- I'm new here, but wanted to add my two cents. I studied with Exam Krackers and did really well -- but the key is to get all the 1001 questions books. I wasn't doing well on the practice tests until I did that, and practiced the hunderds of questions until I could do them in my sleep. That and bought all the real practice tests from the official people (AAMC??).

I didn't find the Kaplan pratice tests, at least, to be helpful. Just my opinion, but I thought their passages were WAY HARDER than the real tests, and also confusing. I kind of wonder if they make them harder so that people freak out when they take them and sign up for the course. Seriously, I was in tears after I took the Kaplan practice test, and then I took a real practice test and felt so much better.

And of course, it's all about your personality. I'm an introvert and really prefer to study alone. I know not everybody does.

I didn't find the Kaplan pratice tests, at least, to be helpful. Just my opinion, but I thought their passages were WAY HARDER than the real tests, and also confusing. I kind of wonder if they make them harder so that people freak out when they take them and sign up for the course. Seriously, I was in tears after I took the Kaplan practice test, and then I took a real practice test and felt so much better.
Yeah, I took a Kaplan test and did terrible and took an AAMC one a few days later and scored 10 points higher. I did not take Kaplan. Ended up >35.

Bought the Kaplan books, studied on my own (I love you, Panera Bread and your free coffee refill policy), and pulled a 32T on the August MCAT. I interviewed at Pitt on Jan. 23rd and am suffering through the waiting game.

so in conclusion, if you study on your own you will get a 40S or Q. Or at least this thread would seem to indicate such.

Don't forget that this board is filled with extremely intelligent people. For the vast majority of pre-meds, I think that either the Kaplan or the Princeton course would be extremely helpful. Just don't forget, a 40 is like the 95th percentile or something like that. Good luck!

Don't forget that this board is filled with extremely intelligent people. For the vast majority of pre-meds, I think that either the Kaplan or the Princeton course would be extremely helpful. Just don't forget, a 40 is like the 95th percentile or something like that. Good luck!
It's actually 99+ percentile. The 95th percentile is approximately a 35.

I studied for about a month with the Kaplan book and tried to do as many practice questions and tests as I could. I always thought that the problem with taking the classes was that you are in a more passive listening mode then when you are actively studying and reading. Anyway I ended up with a 32.

If a prep course really helps you, then it is NOT a waste of money.

For me, I felt a prep course wouldn't help me, maybe hinder me a little.

Exactly what the previous poster said, I feared I would become passive and dependent, instead of active and fighting through the material and relying on myself. I prefer the 2nd mode of action.

Also, when it was just me, alone with my books, for a few months, you get a little nervous/anxious. Am I doing this right? Do I have a good pace? But that fear motivates you to study pretty hard. I probably pushed myself far harder than I would have in a class, knowing exactly what everyone else is doing and where they are.

I will do the same thing for the USMLE, and I am looking forward to it. Are there even prep company classes for the USMLE or just materials? Prepping for the MCAT in this fashion may help you later down the road.

When the actual test came, I felt prepared, motivated, and was comfortable relying on myself, as I had the whole way through. Taking the actual test was easy compared to studying for it. And if the results are good, you will feel a lot more proud of your accomplishment since you did it by your damn self. :)

I'm just curious to see what folks out there didn't take any prep courses and if it has been working out for them so far in this cycle. Also, I'm curious if the money was the big factor, or the time, or what.

33N: 11V, 10P, 12B

Coulda been worse, coulda been better. *shrugs* :D

Exactly what the previous poster said, I feared I would become passive and dependent, instead of active and fighting through the material and relying on myself. I prefer the 2nd mode of action.

Also, when it was just me, alone with my books, for a few months, you get a little nervous/anxious. Am I doing this right? Do I have a good pace? But that fear motivates you to study pretty hard. I probably pushed myself far harder than I would have in a class, knowing exactly what everyone else is doing and where they are.

I will do the same thing for the USMLE, and I am looking forward to it. Are there even prep company classes for the USMLE or just materials? Prepping for the MCAT in this fashion may help you later down the road.

When the actual test came, I felt prepared, motivated, and was comfortable relying on myself, as I had the whole way through. Taking the actual test was easy compared to studying for it. And if the results are good, you will feel a lot more proud of your accomplishment since you did it by your damn self. :)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Couldn't have said it better. You pretty much summed up my experience exactly.