Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am a practicing dentist and a regular poster on the dental forums.
My question is about GPC and following the optometrist or opthalmologist for care.
I had been going to the same chain-store optometrist for 8 years (I have since moved away). I had been complaining of eye irritations in the right eye for the past 3 years, and each year the optometrist changed the brand of the contact lenses. I didn't feel like changing brands was improving anything so I went to an opthalmologist here in NYC who told me I have GPC, gave me some drops (Lotemax) for a week, and said to get rid of my no-rub solution and switch to hydrogen peroxide solution. I was told to come back in a year. I was so relieved to have an actual diagnosis. I went back in about 2 months since the symptoms felt like they were creeping back, and was told to use the Lotemax again, and also given Elestat. It is now almost 6 months later and the symptoms are still there.
I know I need to go see someone b/c obviously the problem has not resolved. But now I'm confused - Do I go back to the opthalmologist, or look for a new optometrist, ophtalmologist, or both? From reading the old threads on SDN, it sounds like treating GPC can be within the realm of an optometrist. I tried a google search but I'm not coming up with much. I really would like to establish a doctor who will help me through this, and I would prefer an optometrist since I will forever need glasses/contacts, so s/he would be familiar with my eye conditions if they s/he treats them. I feel like the opthalmologist's offices are bogged down with lots of older patients with more complex med histories & eye issues - hence the "come back in a year" attitude. The optometrist's offices I walk past in NYC seem like more comfortable places to be treated, sorta like the dental offices I work in.
Is there a site I can use to find private optometrists in NYC, rather than just walking into a random office? How about the SUNY Optometry school? My schedule is flexible, I could go there too if they take patients. I feel my patients at SUNY Buffalo Dental used to get good dental care b/c as students we had to be uber-meticulous, couldn't cut any corners, and had to be checked off by numerous professors. It just took forever for them to get care (compared to the private office) b/c as students, we were super slow. Maybe it works the same way at SUNY Optometry? Or am I better off in private practice?
I would be paying out of pocket if I go to the optometrist, which is fine with me. Dental offices in Manhattan treat their cash-paying patients like gold. Are optometry offices the same way? (The opthalmologist's office here freaked out at me when I forgot my insurance card.)
My question is about GPC and following the optometrist or opthalmologist for care.
I had been going to the same chain-store optometrist for 8 years (I have since moved away). I had been complaining of eye irritations in the right eye for the past 3 years, and each year the optometrist changed the brand of the contact lenses. I didn't feel like changing brands was improving anything so I went to an opthalmologist here in NYC who told me I have GPC, gave me some drops (Lotemax) for a week, and said to get rid of my no-rub solution and switch to hydrogen peroxide solution. I was told to come back in a year. I was so relieved to have an actual diagnosis. I went back in about 2 months since the symptoms felt like they were creeping back, and was told to use the Lotemax again, and also given Elestat. It is now almost 6 months later and the symptoms are still there.
I know I need to go see someone b/c obviously the problem has not resolved. But now I'm confused - Do I go back to the opthalmologist, or look for a new optometrist, ophtalmologist, or both? From reading the old threads on SDN, it sounds like treating GPC can be within the realm of an optometrist. I tried a google search but I'm not coming up with much. I really would like to establish a doctor who will help me through this, and I would prefer an optometrist since I will forever need glasses/contacts, so s/he would be familiar with my eye conditions if they s/he treats them. I feel like the opthalmologist's offices are bogged down with lots of older patients with more complex med histories & eye issues - hence the "come back in a year" attitude. The optometrist's offices I walk past in NYC seem like more comfortable places to be treated, sorta like the dental offices I work in.
Is there a site I can use to find private optometrists in NYC, rather than just walking into a random office? How about the SUNY Optometry school? My schedule is flexible, I could go there too if they take patients. I feel my patients at SUNY Buffalo Dental used to get good dental care b/c as students we had to be uber-meticulous, couldn't cut any corners, and had to be checked off by numerous professors. It just took forever for them to get care (compared to the private office) b/c as students, we were super slow. Maybe it works the same way at SUNY Optometry? Or am I better off in private practice?
I would be paying out of pocket if I go to the optometrist, which is fine with me. Dental offices in Manhattan treat their cash-paying patients like gold. Are optometry offices the same way? (The opthalmologist's office here freaked out at me when I forgot my insurance card.)