is optometry worth it for someone who will NOT be in much debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happigirl12321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i am considering optometry school. if i go i would go to SUNY optometry and pay instate tuition, and potentially live at home to save more money. also, i am very fortunate that my parents have been saving money in a college fund and therefore i will not be in much debt after i graduate (maybe around $50,000).
i see so many negative postings on here and people saying its not worth going due to high debt and low salary.
what is your opinion for someone who fortunately does not have to worry too much about debt? also, why do many sites list optometry salaries of around 100k average yet on these posts some people say its 60k?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i am considering optometry school. if i go i would go to SUNY optometry and pay instate tuition, and potentially live at home to save more money. also, i am very fortunate that my parents have been saving money in a college fund and therefore i will not be in much debt after i graduate (maybe around $50,000).
i see so many negative postings on here and people saying its not worth going due to high debt and low salary.
what is your opinion for someone who fortunately does not have to worry too much about debt? also, why do many sites list optometry salaries of around 100k average yet on these posts some people say its 60k?

No one can answer your question "is it worth it ?" Only you can answer that. Depends on you.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Salaries are regional. Pretty much every full time employed or IC optometrist in NY is near or breaking 100k, whether in excess by a lot or a few thousand short. Other states are better. Others are worse.

Assuming an optometrist is paying 10-15k per year in loans, the actual fluctuation in salary within a region per year can be greater than that, and much greater on a state by state basis. This means that debt considerations can be tricky and often don't heavily influence a doctor's lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

SUNY is a great school in a great area. The amount of Path SUNY students see by the time they graduate is truly impressive. Since time is money in NY, the difficult pts tend to get referred to SUNY by local optoms. That said, Optometry is a dying field. If I had a do over, I would have stayed in nursing school and become a nurse anesthetist or NP. More money, and you can work anywhere. Sure, the parents love saying their child is a doctor, but optometrist don't get near the respect of MDs or dentists. I once saw a Yiddish joke book in NY. The punchline was "Doctor-Shmockter...her son is an optometrist." Depressing.

SUNY is a great school in a great area. The amount of Path SUNY students see by the time they graduate is truly impressive. Since time is money in NY, the difficult pts tend to get referred to SUNY by local optoms. That said, Optometry is a dying field. If I had a do over, I would have stayed in nursing school and become a nurse anesthetist or NP. More money, and you can work anywhere. Sure, the parents love saying their child is a doctor, but optometrist don't get near the respect of MDs or dentists. I once saw a Yiddish joke book in NY. The punchline was "Doctor-Shmockter...her son is an optometrist." Depressing.
ive explored medical school and decided its not for me..and it isnt a grade thing, i currently have a 3.94 GPA majoring in neuroscience, doing research and i have a language minor as well. i just really did not like the hospital environment so i thought optometry would be a good alternative: it still relates to the sciences but less stress, dont need to worry about being on call, and ill be happy to know i am helping people

are you a current optometrist in NYC?