Who uses Electric Toothbrushes? Are they bad for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpNO2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an electric sonicare or oralB since I heard about how great they are but I also hear that it messes up your teeth as well (tearing the enamel and messing up the gums), is this true? I really want one of those electric toothbrushes, I think they are cool:p

Members don't see this ad.

I use a sonicare and I get nothing but praise from the dentist when I go in.

I am thinking of buying an electric sonicare or oralB since I heard about how great they are but I also hear that it messes up your teeth as well (tearing the enamel and messing up the gums), is this true? I really want one of those electric toothbrushes, I think they are cool:p

Ya Ive been using a sonic OralB for a couple years and its great. If anything i would think it causes less damage in terms of tooth brush abrasion because you dont need to "scrub" as hard with the sonics (not that you should be scrubbing hard with a regular toothbrush, but most people do)...they just do the work for you and seem to work better when lighter pressure is applied. I'm not sure if there is any literature that says otherwise, but I find them nice. Plus they last long...ive had mine for a couple years and it still works perfect, although the replacement heads are expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've used oral-b and sonicare and I like the sonicare. It uses a natural brushing motion, only at sonic speeds. Plus you can really brush your tongue well with it, while not so much with the oral-b rotating head. I feel like I just got out of the dentist chair when I use the sonicare. Highly recommend :thumbup:

Sonicare and the higher end OralBs are amazing. However, there's a rumor going around that it was actually the periodontists who pressured Oral B into selling those 10 dollar rotary brushes. They're so rough on your gums that unless you want recession, the only thing they're good for is polishing your shoes.

sonicare toothbrushes are the way to go. They are soft, so you don't hurt your gums, and they also polish your teeth, and really get them clean. :D Many people don't brush properly, and this way you don't have to worry about it, all you have to do is hold it on each tooth for few seconds.

once you go sonicare you will never go back to a normal toothbrush.

i have a sonicare i <3

i used to not feel very clean after it...but thats only because i was scrubbing way too hard with my regular toothbrush!

Looks like I am getting a sonicare this weekend :D . Man tell me about it, I usually have to replace my toothbrush every 3-4 weeks because I brush way too hard and all the bristles gets splattered and dull out. I am thinking about getting the Sonicare E-series on a loan from my brother :laugh:... ($130-150-->ouch too expensive-hope its worth it)

i went on a trip once but forgot my sonicare charger at home and my battery ran out. i had to buy a manual toothbrush and it was the worst 3 days of my life.

i went on ran outa trip once but forgot my sonicare charger at home and my battery. i had to buy a manual toothbrush and it was the worst 3 days of my life.

I can feel the attachment already lol...Do you guys ever brush so hard that you sometimes accidentally poke your gums and/or your mouth really hard:p? It hurts !!! :p

Looks like I am getting a sonicare this weekend :D . Man tell me about it, I usually have to replace my toothbrush every 3-4 weeks because I brush way too hard and all the bristles gets splattered and dull out. I am thinking about getting the Sonicare E-series on a loan from my brother :laugh:... ($130-150-->ouch too expensive-hope its worth it)

EBAY! i got an elite 7500 for $80 shipping included

I have a sonicare intelliclean with the colgate toothpaste in the handle, it rocks. My wife never has to yell at me to put the cap back on the toothpaste. The only downside is I have to order the toothbrush heads on line cause noty a lot of stores carry them. I made all my family go out and buy a sonicare. They take some getting used to but they are great. If you actualy do the math the heads are cheaper then oral b, needs replacing once a month, where sonicare one every six months.

That is cheap! I was looking at the E-9xxx something model and it was super expensive. I'll definitely check out ebay, thanks man!:thumbup:

"4 out of 5 SNDer's agree: Sonicare is a must own" There's a rumor going around now that only people who use a Sonicare actually get into dental school. Ok, no thats stupid, im jk. But one tip for extending the life of your brush heads is to use it only for brushing at night. I brush at night with sonicare (to get food and junk off teeth better) and manual in the morning. Just a tip for poor people like me who cant afford to replace brushes.

Sonicare & Rotadent toothbrushes; I prefer the latter. Bling Bling everyday - really good for getting rid of superficial stains.

The ladies haven't noticed yet, though...lawl, jk. (no really).

- Dude

in one of our classes, all they talked about was how great electric toothbrushes are. they recommended the oralb triumph but also say the sonicare is great (the rotating head of the triumph is supposed to be a little better but some people prefer the sonicare). you might wanna hold out on the purchase though if you are starting dental school soon-we got ours for free:D

in one of our classes, all they talked about was how great electric toothbrushes are. they recommended the oralb triumph but also say the sonicare is great (the rotating head of the triumph is supposed to be a little better but some people prefer the sonicare). you might wanna hold out on the purchase though if you are starting dental school soon-we got ours for free:D
Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.