Who wants to go to NOVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS2334

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I visted Nova in fort lauderdale and it is my number one choice. The weather is very nice and the dental students arent nerds. Everyone is laid back and the school is very modern. Does anyone else have Nova as their first choice? :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDDS2334 said:
I visted Nova in fort lauderdale and it is my number one choice. The weather is very nice and the dental students arent nerds. Everyone is laid back and the school is very modern. Does anyone else have Nova as their first choice? :luck:

After my interview I am really considering them. I too was impressed with the school - and the beach being just minutes away....... :)

Sprgrover said:
After my interview I am really considering them. I too was impressed with the school - and the beach being just minutes away....... :)

NOVA's facilities and technological intergration are amazing and the atmosphere is really upbeat and full of active people :).

Members don't see this ad :)
It's absolutley my first choice...Ft.Lauderdale is very exciting and there is something there for everyone. But don't all run out and apply...j/k

Ok, you guys are really raising my expectations for the school on my upcoming interview. I am sure the weather wont let me down at least. :D

Wow, all you early birds suck! hehe... I just got a letter from NOVA inviting me to interview on 2/10. Thats sooooooo late! I really have a dilemma whether to spend another 400 bucks going there to compete for a spot on the waitlist or just save the money and the trip.....

After my NOVA interview (10/13) visit, I started considering Fort Lauderdale seriously :idea:

DDS2BE said:
After my NOVA interview (10/13) visit, I started considering Fort Lauderdale seriously :idea:

Not if you get a chance to talk to some recent 2004 grads.

I'm not going to spread rumors or anything specific, but I know two recent grads with not so good impressions of the school and say to go else where.

dental2008 said:

I'm not going to spread rumors or anything specific, but I know two recent grads with not so good impressions of the school and say to go else where.

I heard some 'gossip' while I was there, and some of it probably relates to why those recent grads are/were frustrated, and have factored that into my impression and opinion of the school.

Sprgrover said:
I heard some 'gossip' while I was there, and some of it probably relates to why those recent grads are/were frustrated, and have factored that into my impression and opinion of the school.

This is not unheard of but is certainly not the norm:
Some grads from earlier classes easily get down about the changes made in the school. What happens with a new school such like NSU is that the curriculum changes more often than a school with an established track record of 50 years. So it's possible that these students were in the senior class of last year where their endo requirements changed 1/2 way throughout the year. There was a scramble to get the requirements met, but did not hold any of the people who kept on a good track back. Meaning, if you plan well and get your stuff done, don't slack, you will do fine.

What I like to say is that Nova embraces change. It happens in didactic classes, labs, clinics etc. Overall, the reason for change here is to better the educational experience and ultimately make better dentists.

Most students absolutely love studying here not only because it's Ft. Lauderdale, but because we are in an environment where we are treated as colleagues, not as peons. We do not walk around stressed all of the time because a professor just broke our cast on purpose because it sucked. I have some of the most enjoyable times in laboratory with my professors because they are enjoyable to work with.

Facilities are new, curriculum is comprehensive (6-7 semesters of perio :)), and the people are kind... what I like to see in a dental school.

-Mike

Fort Lauderdale is a really cool city. Lots of things to do and see, outside of school.

dental2008 said:

2 recent grads just aren't that great of a sample population. Every school will have people on both ends of the spectrum. An honest student will tell you positive and negative items about their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
KobeInnocent said:
Wow, all you early birds suck! hehe... I just got a letter from NOVA inviting me to interview on 2/10. Thats sooooooo late! I really have a dilemma whether to spend another 400 bucks going there to compete for a spot on the waitlist or just save the money and the trip.....

If a school invites you for a late interview, is it possible to ask for an earlier spot if any are available or is that considered rude? It sounds like all interviews going out now are for dates after Dec.1st.. that definitely sucks.. i want an interview before...(lol, i feel like a whiny little kid, but i really am not) :)

dental2008 said:

At any of your interview, make sure you talk to 3rd or 4th year students. 1st and 2nd students usually know nothing much about their school anyway.

ranark said:
If a school invites you for a late interview, is it possible to ask for an earlier spot if any are available or is that considered rude?

I did it with Boston. They had set my date for December the 13 and I called and changed it to November the first. So it's possible, however, usually it's more like the luck of the draw...meaning someone has to cancel their spot and you call just in time to get it. I don?t think that its rude at all.

mike3kgt said:
This is not unheard of but is certainly not the norm:
Some grads from earlier classes easily get down about the changes made in the school. What happens with a new school such like NSU is that the curriculum changes more often than a school with an established track record of 50 years. So it's possible that these students were in the senior class of last year where their endo requirements changed 1/2 way throughout the year. There was a scramble to get the requirements met, but did not hold any of the people who kept on a good track back. Meaning, if you plan well and get your stuff done, don't slack, you will do fine.

-Mike

Thanks for the honest reponse Mike. Just to play a devils advocate, when is a school not considered new anymore? Isn't Nova on their 8th or 9th class?

I know older schools like UPenn, tufts, MD are established, but they change their cirriculum often and they do seem to be organized in their probelm solving.

One of the complaints I keep hearing from Nova (from current students that I know and recent grads) is that the Dental program is somewhat disorgainzed espeically in the clinc. Such as problems with getting work on patients started due to faculty not being there to sign off, etc.

On the flip side, they all do say it is a relaxed environment and if you just want to be "B" student then your dental career there will be enjoyable (not having to kill yourself with cut throat people...others are willing to help).

I know one D1, two D2's and as mentioned two recent grads. To be fair, 2 like it their and have their complaints as would anyone and three said otherwise.

dental2008 said:
Thanks for the honest reponse Mike. Just to play a devils advocate, when is a school not considered new anymore? Isn't Nova on their 8th or 9th class?

I would imagine we probably would call ourselves new until about the 10th class or so. Then again, we are still "new" compared to say Maryland.

dental2008 said:
One of the complaints I keep hearing from Nova (from current students that I know and recent grads) is that the Dental program is somewhat disorgainzed espeically in the clinc. Such as problems with getting work on patients started due to faculty not being there to sign off, etc.

Yeah, it can get complicated sometimes. I have not had significant experience in the clinic, however, I have had several rotations through perio. My comments stem mostly from my first year and a half experience here at NSU, but I am aware there can be problems in the clinic. Before students were able to have stations to work out of for 2 years and find professors throughout the clinic to give start checks and sign off work. Now, we have sections of the clinic designated for each specialty, i.e. - a perio section, pros, endo, etc. Professors now stay in in their assigned sections and things flow a lot easier. The students who graduated last year experienced this transition and many could have been annoyed as a result of the change.

dental2008 said:
On the flip side, they all do say it is a relaxed environment and if you just want to be "B" student then your dental career there will be enjoyable (not having to kill yourself with cut throat people...others are willing to help).

It is enjoyable, we work VERY hard, but enjoy it nonetheless.

-Mike

Hey Mike, don't listen to dental2008. This guy has nothing better to do than dump on Nova. Check out some of his posts.

dental2008 said:

Just out of a curiosity.... were you interviewed at Nova or at least visited? For some reason I don't hear any rumors and I did speak to many students while I was there for my interview. I've fount out Nova dental students to be very group oriented and pretty happy with their choice. In fact, I had a chance to speak to some DS1 students and DS3.

DDS2BE said:
Just out of a curiosity.... were you interviewed at Nova or at least visited? For some reason I don't hear any rumors and I did speak to many students while I was there for my interview. I've fount out Nova dental students to be very group oriented and pretty happy with their choice. In fact, I had a chance to speak to some DS1 students and DS3.

Thanks for the kind words! I personally think this guy is full of it. I know plenty of Nova grads who were very satisfied with their choice. Oh, by the way, its D1s and D3s, we don't to the DS thing here at Nova. DS is normally used at schools that award the DDS degree.

JRogoff said:
Thanks for the kind words! I personally think this guy is full of it. I know plenty of Nova grads who were very satisfied with their choice. Oh, by the way, its D1s and D3s, we don't to the DS thing here at Nova. DS is normally used at schools that award the DDS degree.

Calm down buddy!

Because I don't have the same opinion as you about your school doesn't mean you have to discount everything I say as wrong. As far as I'm concerned, I never made a false statement.

And YES I have been on an interview (with acceptance) and on the campus many times since my good friend goes there. As a matter of fact, in 2 weeks I will be there staying with her on a mini vacation and I will probably go to the Nova campus. She lives in Waterford park about 15 min away...so I plan to check it out again. I would say lets meet up, have a drink and talk but I feel you have a huge thing againist me already.

and here is a quote from dentaltown. I think its a good thing just to show i'm not a "nova" basher. For all those that don't know about it. go check it out. www.dentaltown.com

"I went to Nova-grad in 2003-it was expensive but not so bad when you consider that its a private school. Its also a in a great location. If you can get into a state school as a resident-do it.
As far as clinics go, I never ever had to send a pt home due to a lack of floor instructors(don't know where you heard that)-I also got along with almost all of them, pretty good guys who want you to be prepared for the real world. It was hard to find all my pts for requirements, but I did-all you have to do is try! Most of the PITA parts of school were the normal frustrations at any school with politics and requirements and weirdo pre-madonna ex-military faculty.
They do a good job preparing you in Tx planning to help you avoid getting in over your head.....which I think has saved my ass countless times. And That is where CE comes in-you'll never learn it all in four years-just know what you can/cannot do and learn the rest in CE.
Learn how to do it one/two ways, learn how to do it well, and when you get out CE will help you learn the newer/better ways. Don't get too down on what you don't learn in school....experience is the best teacher anyways.
Anyhow, I was pissed when I left but not anymore. I got a good education and am making OK money now.
Remember, the last person you want to ask about a school is a pissed off 3rd year/4th year. If you want to ask more q's just PM me.
Good luck,
Kirk"

^^^

I'm not going out my my way to give you a hard time or anything, its just that your post history shows a lot of Nova bashing. Its a bit odd, but whatever floats your boat. Its hard to take you seriously when it seems like you just made up some of these posts. For example, the quote in your previous post came from a nova grad in 2003. I'm sorry to break it to you buddy, but nova's charter class was in 1997. Another thing, you claim to have interviewed and been accepted to Nova but obviously don't attend. So where do you go to dental school? I'm sure i'll be able to dig up some dirt on your school, if you do in fact attend dental school. If you can come up with some answers then i could possibly take you seriously, but as of now i don't think anything you say can be taken seriously. Nothing personal, i'm just calling it like it see it.

JRogoff said:
^^^

I'm not going out my my way to give you a hard time or anything, its just that your post history shows a lot of Nova bashing. Its a bit odd, but whatever floats your boat. Its hard to take you seriously when it seems like you just made up some of these posts. For example, the quote in your previous post came from a nova grad in 2003. I'm sorry to break it to you buddy, but nova's charter class was in 1997. Another thing, you claim to have interviewed and been accepted to Nova but obviously don't attend. So where do you go to dental school? I'm sure i'll be able to dig up some dirt on your school, if you do in fact attend dental school. If you can come up with some answers then i could possibly take you seriously, but as of now i don't think anything you say can be taken seriously. Nothing personal, i'm just calling it like it see it.

Did I ever mention anything about a 1997 grad...no! and here is the link for the 2003 grad I quoted...so there goes your theory of me amking it up

http://www.dentaltown.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=40393&sessionID={5CCFC36C-AC0A-4543-AD11-3034FCCBD75A}

I go to UPenn and i'm sure you will find dirt so go ahead and dig. I will even provide a shovel if you need one.

And what answers are you looking for?

dental2008 said:
Did I ever mention anything about a 1997 grad...no! and here is the link for the 2003 grad I quoted...so there goes your theory of me amking it up

Can you read?

In case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm of the last post i'll go ahead and explain it. There is no such thing as a 2003 grad!

We are loosing track here guys, let's focus on the topic of this thread.

JRogoff: I will be at Nova on 11/5 for an interview, will you be on campus that day? - Actually I will be at Fort Lauderdale on 11/4 afternoon...

Thanks

Mo007 said:

JRogoff: I will be at Nova on 11/5 for an interview, will you be on campus that day? - Actually I will be at Fort Lauderdale on 11/4 afternoon...

Thanks
Mo, kick some a$$ on that interview :) Good luck!

DDS2BE said:
Mo, kick some a$$ on that interview :) Good luck!
Thanks man!, I will not flip-flop! :D

Mo007 said:

Thanks

I will definetly be around that day, in fact i will be giving your interview tour. If you would like someone to show you around the day before just let me know. PM me and let me know.

JRogoff said:
I will definetly be around that day, in fact i will be giving your interview tour. If you would like someone to show you around the day before just let me know. PM me and let me know.
Sounds good!

Check your PM.

Dental2008,

Do come to our campus and we'll go to a bar and smash a couple of beer bottles over your head to knock you back into some sense. I bet you'll be here for another assignment with plans to gather more Nova dirt from "people you know at Nova" so you can warn SDN pre-dents?

UPenn is a great dental school, but it's too bad to have a tool like you there.

I got lost in some of the details. JRGoff, you are saying that no one graduated in April of 2003? If the charter class was 1997, they would have graduated in 2001, right? So, a 2003 grad would have started in 1999, right? Did NOVA not admit any students in 1999?

I'm not taking any sides in this argument. JR is an asset to the site. Just wondering what I missed.

Yah-E said:
Dental2008,

Do come to our campus and we'll go to a bar and smash a couple of beer bottles over your head to knock you back into some sense. I bet you'll be here for another assignment with plans to gather more Nova dirt from "people you know at Nova" so you can warn SDN pre-dents?

UPenn is a great dental school, but it's too bad to have a tool like you there.

Damn you caught me red-handed!

Hey JR, I too am still confused on the 2003 grad thing

:confused:

JRogoff said:
In case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm of the last post i'll go ahead and explain it. There is no such thing as a 2003 grad!
JR explained that part...

Nova is my first choice. Hopefully i'll make it there.

JavadiCavity said:
Will you post the explanation? I honestly must be blind.

Man I think we both are just really stupid of JR needs to explain further

JR please explain why Nova did not graduate anyone in 2003???

I must be ******ed

dental2008

From your past posts, all you said was dumping dirt all over Nova. I think everyone got your point already and if you don't have a solid explanation then stop writing your this nonesence. The purpose of this particular forum is to help people to answer their questions. If you just feel like bs around, the Lagune would be the best place to be. Don't just blow the air, have some backup!

I don't think that Dental2008 was trying to cut the school down...i just think that he was stating his opinion, or repeating what he had been told in hopes of clarification. Lots of people on here have heard things about schools that are a little biased, so the best thing to do would be to have an open mind when you read the posts, and pick and choose what to believe. Also, there are some current Nova students that had similar questions when they were deciding (if you read their previous posts) and they seem to be really enjoying the school now. Good luck to everyone applying. ps- But the 2003 grad thing is a little confusing?!? Can anyone explain it better?

I am not sure where Dental2008 is coming from. If you go to dentaltown.com (and in particular the site he sourced) many dentists and dental students make it known that every dental school is (in their own way) the same. You go through the same crap everywhere, period. From what I have heard (from my father and some of his friends) is that when you are a dental student, professors in the clinic dont give you the time of day. Even the article you cut and pasted said every dental student goes through the same stuff at every school and every D3 and D4 is probably counting down the days until graduation and will be none too thrilled with their institution. I am sure NOVA is a great school and I would love to go there (hell, I would love to get into any dental school). Who cares about this petty B.S.??? Worry about your own school and what you have to do to graduate....the people on this thread want to learn about those who applied to NOVA and information from the dental students who are willing to shed light on how things work there. Period. Besides, you are at another school in a different state, how do you know how good or bad NOVA is?

Do everyone receive a secondary application from NOVA????

can we all get along? u guys need to go play warcraft together, use lich king and pwn ppl with his frost NOVAs. Yea....I know im lame... :D