Who wants to share their #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's probably a long shot for me but I ranked Wake Forest first.

Members don't see this ad.

Just ranked first?!?!? I'll go the Full Monty:

1 CHOP
2 Cinci
3 Hopkins
4 U Chicago
5 Rainbow
6 Pitt
7 Vandy
8 DC Children's
9-15 Other programs

I ranked University of Arizona (Tucson), then Medical College of Wisconsin, and then Pittsburgh.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon you infant huggin', puke wippin', diaper changin', no money makin', stupid sticker on your name tag wearin' sissy baby doctors, this board has been mad boring for the last few weeks. All the other forum are wuppin' our a$$es in terms of ROLs.

Give me posts or give me death!

1) Baylor
2) Cornell (NYC)
3) St. Louis Children's (Wash U)
4) Duke
5) UNC-Chapel Hill
6) MUSC
7) Mount Sinai (NYC)
8) UVA

Best of luck to everyone for March 17. I'll spend the time between now and then training for the 10k I'm running in April, and in true 4th year fashion, also playing as much golf as possible.

U of Chicago!

Was going to change my ROL last minute, but couldn't get on the nrmp website yesterday, and I fell asleep when I came home from the clinic today. Oh well, I had intended to change #4-6, but hopefully I won't go that far down the list.

Cincinnati
U of Arizona-Tucson
Children's Mercy UMKC
Medical College of Wisconsin
St.Louis Children's

Noelle- I think you totally clicked with the PD at Wake, so it probably isn't much of a long shot. I was jealous! :p

Of course it's my number one too. Whack Forest. We'll see how it goes.

Remember the stats on Peds folks and know that your numbers 2 and 3 were so good they were almost your number one, so it's not like you are going to be in dire straits (LIKE ME) if you go to #2. My #2 is a community IM :eek: program in the area. Very very nice people, but surprisingly few kids. ha ha :laugh:
Wow, I have had too much coffee this morning--- or is it I am so PSYCHED about your rank list!!

1. Greenville Hospital Systems, Greenville, SC
2. EVMS
3. UVA
4. OSU
5. MUSC
6. Wake Forest

Utah
Phoenix Childrens
Louisville
etc, etc, etc :)

1. CHOP
2. Yale
3. Brown
4. UNC
5. Montefiore

Here we go! I'm glad this part is over... now we wait.
1. UT Southwestern
2. Columbus Children's
3. Children's Mercy (UMKC)
4. Indiana University
5. Phoenix Children's
6. Louisville
etc...

UCSF
UCLA
CHLA
CHOC
USC
Washington
etc. etc.

345 ranks in all (couple match)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Boston Combined
2. UCSF
3. UW
4. Stanford
5. Hopkins
6. CHOP
etc.

1. St. Joseph's (Paterson, NJ)
2. UT Chatanooga (Chatanooga, TN)
3. UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson (Piscateway, NJ)
4. Morristown Memorial (Morristown, NJ)
5. Newark Beth Israel (Newark, NJ)
6. UMDNJ Robert Wood (Camden, NJ)

OK, KAS guilted me into posting. Here's my top 3:

1. CHOP
2. Hopkins
3. Duke

Cross your fingers for me!

I shouldn't have had to guilt you. This is indeed an honor, a right of passage taken by every brave baby doctor that has walked before us. And besides, I told you to post your bottom three.

;)

Bottom three: Boston Children's, UCSF, and duPont Children's.

Med-peds:

1)UCSD
2)Brown
3)Yale
4)UCLA
5)Penn
plus a few more

1. Boston Combined
2. CHOP
3. Hopkins
4. Baylor
5. Cinncinatti (sp?)
6. Rainbow
7. Northwestern
8. Pittsburgh
9. Michigan

Not Ranked - Columbus Children's

what is this boston combined of which you speak...

is it boston children's + mass general???

i am intrigued...it seems like one residency, double the bow ties

and what is that makes cincinatti so hard to spell (did i spell it right?)....the other day i tried to figure out the distance from my home to cinci on yahoo and it took me 6 or 7 attempts just to get map program to figure it out cause i kept spelling it wrong....i think it would be easier just not to apply there....i will consider it perhaps if they consider changing their name

scholes said:
and what is that makes cincinatti so hard to spell (did i spell it right?)....the other day i tried to figure out the distance from my home to cinci on yahoo and it took me 6 or 7 attempts just to get map program to figure it out cause i kept spelling it wrong....i think it would be easier just not to apply there....i will consider it perhaps if they consider changing their name

http://www.childrenshospital.org/training/pedres1/

Boston Children's (Harvard) + Boston Medical Center (BU)

MassGen is a separate Peds program:

http://www.massgeneral.org/children/prof/application_process.htm

Asking Cincinnati to change its name is like asking Cincinnatus to find a different name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus

Here are my $0.02.....

My rank list:
1. UCLA
2. CHLA
3. UCSF
4. Boston Combined
5. Stanford
6. CHOP

JPaikman said:
Asking Cincinnati to change its name is like asking Cincinnatus to find a different name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus

Cincinnatus - the model of the "citizen-soldier". There is a monument to him at VMI, which we referred to as the "lug-nut" (because it's hexagonal).

Anyone else nervous about this whole match thing? I mean I know I'll match probably in my top 3, but still, it's a little stressful to wait until March 17th to find out where I will be spending most of the next 3 years of my life. Good luck to all!

1) CHLA (big surprise)
2) UCI
3) USC
4) Phoenix Children's
5) Stanford

:scared:

1. boston combined
2. ucsf
3. seattle children's
4. chop (my home institution... sad that it's so far down, isn't it?)
5. hopkins
6. denver children's
7. columbia
8. dc children's

good luck, all...

:laugh: The PD lists were due at the same time ours was. I was thinking the same thing. I flip flopped my top three 5,000 times! Good luck everyone. Keep posting your lists!

kristing said:
I am glad I did my rank list when I did as the weather here in Phx has gotten really nice and I may have chickened out of my top 2 if it was still rainy.

1. Kalamazoo/MSU
2. U IL peoria
3. St. Joe's - Phoenix
4. Christ/Hope Children's
5. Phx Children's

I assume the PD lists are in as my name is not very conspicuous???

I too would like to wish everyone the best of luck........

1) U of Chicago
2) St. Louis Children's
3) Mayo
4) U of Wisconsin
5) U of Minnesota
6) Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
7) U of Michigan
8) Rush
9) Christ/Hope Children's

Luckily, it's cold every single place I ranked, so not much I can do about the weather. Hey, at least I can still go icefishin'...... :sleep:

ok, I have location issues so....this may not make sense to people unless you take that into account.

1. UTMB
2. Baylor
3. UT Houston
4. UT San Antonio
5. UT Southwestern
6. Scott & White
7. Austin

Okay, since everyone else is sharing:

I went to a state medical school. I didn't get honors in any of my core rotations and my dean's letter said I was a bit "immature" based on the dislike for me by my adult cardiology attending. My NBME Part 1 score (equivalent to modern "USMLE step 1") was medicocre (can't even remember the score, but maybe 60%ile at best overall). I had no publications. Still, I submitted this top 3 (I interviewed at 6 or 7 and ranked 5) expecting to get my #1:

1. Children's Mercy in Kansas City
2. Children's Memorial in Chicago
3. Children's in Akron, Ohio
4. Michael Reese in Chicago
5. Louisville (Kosair)

I didn't get #1 :(

but did match and was not unhappy on match day or with my program :)

I think making people stand up and announce where they matched is inappropriate. I go over and talk to some of the students I know after the match and I know not everyone is happy with where they match, although usually things work out well in pedi in the end.

Good luck to all

Regards

OBP

Reactions: 1 user
oldbearprofessor said:

I think making people stand up and announce where they matched is inappropriate. I go over and talk to some of the students I know after the match and I know not everyone is happy with where they match, although usually things work out well in pedi in the end.

Proof that not getting your #1 is not a career killer! Robert Marion, who wrote "Learning to Play God", "The Intern Blues", and several other books (and happens to be a Pediatric Medical Geneticist - my career choice) did not get his #1 OR #2 choice. And he turned out fine. Life is what you make of it!

And I completely agree about the "announcing" thing. I can imagine having to "announce" my match, having it be Boston Children's (#1 in the US, #10 on my list) and having people think that I'm thrilled to go there. Well, I'd rather go there than go unmatched, but I'd be MUCH happier at the other nine programs I ranked above it. (Not denegrating BC...it's good, but not as good for me).

Yes but not matching at #1 can be a marriage and therefore soul-killer. I was accepted to a med school, but my husband did not match there due to major politics. We had already lived 4 years 800 miles apart. Neither school was cooperative or cared about the marriage, so I lost 2 years of my life living in the middle of nowhere and doing nothing with my education for 2 years until the Ba$***** finally let me in here.

On announcing, we don't, but we are trying to get a voluntary chance to do it so we don't have to say it OVER and OVER and OVER again in the 2 hours afterwards. (Been there before, too, and it was awful having to say it so many times.) Besides, people can often tell by looking at you when you first open it whether you are thrilled or not.

OBP,

Thanks for sharing. It's inspiring to see that not all great pediatricians got their #1's. Although I did not get 1. Baylor or 2. Children's Mercy, I did match at Arkansas Children's and still hope to work with you in the future. :)

oldbearprofessor said:
Okay, since everyone else is sharing:

I went to a state medical school. I didn't get honors in any of my core rotations and my dean's letter said I was a bit "immature" based on the dislike for me by my adult cardiology attending. My NBME Part 1 score (equivalent to modern "USMLE step 1") was medicocre (can't even remember the score, but maybe 60%ile at best overall). I had no publications. Still, I submitted this list (I interviewed at 6 or 7 and ranked 5) expecting to get my #1:

1. Children's Mercy in Kansas City
2. Children's Memorial in Chicago
3. Children's in Akron, Ohio
4. Michael Reese in Chicago
5. Louisville (Kosair)

Good luck to all

Regards

OBP

1. Wolfson Children's (Jacksonville, FL)

For others who did the same, hope I'll see you there! Next February we can laugh at all those poor suckers in Philly ;-)

1. Wolfson Children's (Jacksonville, FL)

For others who did the same, hope I'll see you there! Next February we can laugh at all those poor suckers in Philly ;-)

I was going to bump this...

Those who can't bring themselves to listing their #1 - tell us your top three in alphabetical order....

perhaps someone can start a new 2007 thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.