Who was accepted to DO schools w/ minimal course requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the 2 courses in bio, chem, physics, and orgo..thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by theDr.
the 2 courses in bio, chem, physics, and orgo..thanks!!

I was! I graduated with an environmental science degree, so I had other science courses (meteorology, soil science environmental engineering, ag engineering) but nothing like anatomy, or advanced biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters how many courses you take in addition to the courses you mentioned. Medical schools are looking for people with diverse interests and backgrounds. You will learn all the medical stuff you need when you get to medical school. In addition to the courses you mentioned, if possible, I would take biochem. Many schools will look favorably on your application if you do so and others require it. Basically, if you want to take more classes because you're interested, go for it. If you'd rather take other classes that stimulate you more, then do that. Medical schools want to see that you pursue things because you are passionate about them, not because you think you have to (especially osteopathic schools).

I have been accepted and am still working on the prereqs! I am currently taking my second course in inorganic chem and will be taking orgo 2 this summer. (I love to procrastinate when it comes to chemistry...) I think you just have to show that you are dedicated to the sciences and that you will complete anything that you need for medical school. Hope that helps!
~stacey

I have been accepted and am still working on the prereqs! I am currently taking my second course in inorganic chem and will be taking orgo 2 this summer. (I love to procrastinate when it comes to chemistry...) I think you just have to show that you are dedicated to the sciences and that you will complete anything that you need for medical school. Hope that helps!

Stacey,

Your got accepted and you're still working on your prereq.! Did you apply for this year or next? What happens if you haven't finished your prereq. by the time your first day of med. school comes???

Im asking b/c Im taking my prereq. right now. I have not taken the MCAT yet and since I was a business major I didn't want to take it cause I think I would do poorly due to the small amount of science classes I've taken.

I also didn't know you could apply so early.

I am also taking some prereq's right now. I am graduating this May and am taking my Organic Chem 2 and Physics 2 right now. I have been accpeted into the LECOM - Bradenton Class of 2008 and will be beginning classes in Florida in the fall of 2004. All you need to do is have the courses completed by the day school starts.

By the way, you should probably try and take some type of Anatomy and Physiology course, along with a Biochem course, as I'm sure this will help out A LOT in your first year of med school.

I only took the bare requirements for the pre-reqs. In fact, all of my physics and bio (20 hours) is from AP credit

For those who took only the bare requirements, were years 1 and 2 difficult for you?

don't all DO schools require a bachelor degree?

spongiebob said:

No, I know NYCOM will at least consider people with three years of undergrad, though chances of admission aren't spectacular. Other than that, I don't know

spongiebob said:

Many med schools (DO and MD) will consider applicant without bachelors degrees (usually with at least 90 hours). That said, not too many people get in without the degree. The ones I've met were just a couple of classes away from thier degrees.

Well, will they consider you without an MCAT yet?

I've been discouraged from applying at Texas schools without having the number of prerequisite hours (lack 6 bio credits). OSUCOM/AZCOM/Kirksville/DesMoines all said, "Bring it on, send us your app!".

Got conflicting stories from TCOM - one was, "Don't bother, you're competing against everyone who has all the prereqs and MCAT, you probably won't do well on the MCAT without the 6 bio credits anyway". :smuggrin: :eek: The other was,"Plenty of people apply in your situtation and some get accepted. Worst case, you get rejected and apply next year." I seem to be getting conflicting stories from those guys, so I can't say what I'll do.

I am considering a road trip/post MCAT depressurization trip to Tulsa. Ostensibly to visit relatives but you can bet I'll make it a point to get 'lost' and wind up on the OSUCOM campus. :D

DaveinDallas said:
Got conflicting stories from TCOM - one was, "Don't bother, you're competing against everyone who has all the prereqs and MCAT, you probably won't do well on the MCAT without the 6 bio credits anyway". :smuggrin: :eek: The other was,"Plenty of people apply in your situtation and some get accepted. Worst case, you get rejected and apply next year." I seem to be getting conflicting stories from those guys, so I can't say what I'll do.

I go with the flow of apply if you already applying to the other schools....roll the dice and see what happens. Like you said...worst case is rejection...best case..your on your way!!!

I'm under the impression that if you get accepted without a bachelors degree....they are accepting you based on the assumption that you will graduate with a bachelors by the time of matriculation. However, there are a few medical schools both md and do that only require 90+ hours even for matriculation. So I guess you dont have to worry about getting a bachelors degree for those schools such as the one i'm attending. Just as long as you have the 90+ hours and all other criteria met

The ones I was referring to actually started med school without the bachelors degree.

DaveInDallas: there are a number of people who interview & get into med school before they have finished up the pre-reqs. Since, if you get in the first time you apply, you have a year's time between application & matriculation there're two regular semesters and a summer to get those things done. Go ahead & apply to the schools you were thinking of.

I'm one of those folks that doesn't have a degree. I'm about 12 credit hours short. From my preliminary survey, I found that roughly a 1/3 of medical schools required a bachelor's degree. Of course, I didn't apply to those.

After getting accepted, I contacted the school and specifically asked them if I was expected to graduate. I was told that all that was required was the pre-reqs. I'm sure many applicants are expected to get the degree, but (in my case at least) the school couldn't care less.

At orientation we were told that 99% of our class had bachelor's degree. I guess I know who the 1% was! :)

I was a psych/sociology double major...and went and did my "bare" science requirements and was accepted into multiple schools as well....so it is more than possible...

...and yes...I really do feel it made MSI/MSII alot more difficult, as all of my classmates had seen or at least been exposed to the the concepts that we were learning...where for me...it was the first time seeing them..and it was for keeps...

It certainly upped the ante....

San_Juan_Sun said:
I'm one of those folks that doesn't have a degree. I'm about 12 credit hours short. From my preliminary survey, I found that roughly a 1/3 of medical schools required a bachelor's degree. Of course, I didn't apply to those.

After getting accepted, I contacted the school and specifically asked them if I was expected to graduate. I was told that all that was required was the pre-reqs. I'm sure many applicants are expected to get the degree, but (in my case at least) the school couldn't care less.

At orientation we were told that 99% of our class had bachelor's degree. I guess I know who the 1% was! :)

oh thank God there are others like me. I wasn't able to get my degree because of some foreign language requirment. I changed from engineering to las psychology senior year and engineering didnt require foreign language when las required 2 years of it...so i guess ill be the other 1% that will start med school w/o a bachelors degree