Who would you give your pharmacy admissions essay for feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurpharmacis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering who you would give essay for feedback. Please list them down.

The first time I gave my Pharmacy addmissions essay to someone was a writing tutor from the writing center from my University. That essay was for another University. My University does have a Pharmacy school but it doesn't require an essay.

I had a horrible experience with that tutor and with another tutor but for my medical school admissions essay.

According to U of M powerpoint slides "writing a winning personal statement for pharmacy," which you can find online, the writing center is not helpful for feedback. I think I know why...

I don't know what the tutor at the writing center's problem was, but what they tell me was irrational and unexpected. Both tutors doubted my abilities. I don't get it. They barely know me. They don't even know my name for crying out loud. They haven't seen my transcipt, resume, etc. What gives them the right to say that! Am I the only one who experienced this or what?

Sometimes I get the impression that they are using students to improve the school's profile. The tutors at the writing center would hint that I should include like my courses. This was very odd to me, b/c my transcript shows the courses I have taken. It seems that to them the essay was more of a way to "advertise" their courses than a way for the Admissions commitee to get to know me. Of course I would mention my classroom experience, but not emphasize it so much that the essay doesn't have my volunteer experience or anthing about me that would interest admissions comittee. What do you guys think? What were these writing tutors at the writing center up to?

And don't forget to tell me who you would give your essay to for feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously you had a bad experience with the writing center, so I would write them off. No pun intended.

Do you know anyone who has been accepted to a professional program? Friend, sibling, etc? If you know a pharmacist or other health professional, it might not be a bad idea to ask them what they think.

And if all else fails, we have personal statement readers (all volunteer) who are willing to help you out if you contact them in that thread.

Obviously you had a bad experience with the writing center, so I would write them off. No pun intended.

Do you know anyone who has been accepted to a professional program? Friend, sibling, etc? If you know a pharmacist or other health professional, it might not be a bad idea to ask them what they think.

And if all else fails, we have personal statement readers (all volunteer) who are willing to help you out if you contact them in that thread.

Hey thanks!

Those tutors were being far more critical than helpful. I wish I could tell them that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had two people read mine - my husband and a friend that had some knowledge of professional/grad school admissions. The husband was not the best choice.

My husband was far more critical than the friend because he is used to reading things that I have written (we have a blog). He is used to reading my casual writing, which is lengthy and slightly humorous/self-deprecating. Humor and self-deprecation wasn't really what I thought that I should be going for in my essay, so getting him to let go of that mindframe was difficult. So it might be best to have someone who doesn't know you super well to read it - the adcom isn't going to know you and approach reading your essay with all of this other knowledge of you - they just have the essay.

I wish I would have had a professor that I felt comfortable asking. That would have been helpful.

You should provide feedback to the writing center. The worst they can do is refuse to change. Sometimes, supervisors have no idea what their employees and volunteers are doing, and appreciate the input.

The writing center used to have feedback forms. I don't know why they don't have them anymore.

I asked friends who have either applied to a form of graduate school and have gotten in (Med & Vet for me), and another friend who is in the process of applying to Med school herself. Then I asked a few on SDN, & I don't want to say who because I don't want her PMs spammed, but one of them helped me to the point of completely ripping my essay apart and then helping me put it back together again.

I also asked my sister who's an English major just because she knows me well and I wanted to make sure she saw me in it lol

Have you also considered old Eng/Lit profs?

I had had English and Liturature Profs taught me, but they don't know me too well and I don't know them that well and I am not so comfortable approaching them.

I asked friends who have either applied to a form of graduate school and have gotten in (Med & Vet for me), and another friend who is in the process of applying to Med school herself. Then I asked a few on SDN, & I don't want to say who because I don't want her PMs spammed, but one of them helped me to the point of completely ripping my essay apart and then helping me put it back together again.

I also asked my sister who's an English major just because she knows me well and I wanted to make sure she saw me in it lol

Have you also considered old Eng/Lit profs?

If you have any friends applying to Medical Schools then try asking them. For me, that's been the most helpful. Since both applications have similar topics, I found it really helpful to read my friend's med school app while she read and critiqued mine.

my girlfriend / close friends who are pre-medical/pharm/dental

Thank you everyone for responding to my thread. You have offered good advice. I know some people who have gotten into med or pharmacy etc etc and I will ask for their help. Thanks again.

You should provide your essay to a career development center. There are usually career development centers at most colleges, but there are also professional centers in every city. Furthermore, you should ask your local pharmacist to read it, and it wouldn't hurt for you to find a friend that works in an admissions office to give you some advice. It doesn't have to be a pharmacy admissions office. Any admissions officer can tell you what is looked at more commonly. I would stay away from parents and friends who don't know the profession. Obviously, they can assist with grammar and mechanics, but they are typically far off on content.