Who Would You Pick???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Louisville

-Nova

-USC

-Western

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. You'll get a good education with any of those schools, so it really depends on your personal situation. Where do you want to live/practice? Where is home for you? Are you okay with being far away from any family? Do you want to be in close proximity to the beach?

I am kind of anti-USC. I had a bro in law do his pedo residency at USC and he said that all the dental students hated the problem-based learning. To me, the whole problem-based learning thing just sounds like a crappy deal. I'd rather go to a school that teaches you what you need to know for the boards.

Wow you have quite the predicament! But you are blessed to have these great schools to choose from. NOVA is great from what I hear and seems to be the favorite from your list as of now, but to live in Florida is very expensive. Also Cali is expensive, Louisville is the cheapest area to live. But weight out all of your options such as cost of living, tuition, fees, location, facilities, and the faculty you came in contact with. All of the schools are great, so make a decision you will be happy with, not what everyone tells you to do on SDN even though this is your best source for info. Go with your heart after some serious thought and research. Good luck and congrats!!

Go to the cheapest school!

Wow you have quite the predicament! But you are blessed to have these great schools to choose from. NOVA is great from what I hear and seems to be the favorite from your list as of now, but to live in Florida is very expensive. Also Cali is expensive, Louisville is the cheapest area to live. But weight out all of your options such as cost of living, tuition, fees, location, facilities, and the faculty you came in contact with. All of the schools are great, so make a decision you will be happy with, not what everyone tells you to do on SDN even though this is your best source for info. Go with your heart after some serious thought and research. Good luck and congrats!!

Thanks everyone! I'm still waiting on a few more schools. I am an international student so money is definitely an issue because I will most likely have to take high interest loans.

I'd go with Nova or Lousiville NOT USC bec I heard their PBL is pretty brutal...
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd go with Nova or Lousiville NOT USC bec I heard their PBL is pretty brutal...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I'm thinking Louisville, because the people there were incredibly friendly and I felt very comfortable. It seems that the students are very happy and staff are there to help you succeed. Plus the 46 million renovations are a plus.

I was wowed by Nova's virtual sim lab. Very cool.

RedDevilDDS you are hardcore checking SDN via phone :thumbup:

Yeah I'm thinking Louisville, because the people there were incredibly friendly and I felt very comfortable. It seems that the students are very happy and staff are there to help you succeed. Plus the 46 million renovations are a plus.

I was wowed by Nova's virtual sim lab. Very cool.

RedDevilDDS you are hardcore checking SDN via phone :thumbup:

I think Louisville is a more established school and they have been doing it there for over 100 years. Also living expenses would be a lot lower there. You could have your own apartment in Louisville as oppose to share a condo with 2 other people in Ft.Lauderdale.

My cousin is also an international student now a D1 in Mich State. He had to take like the biggest loan ever with two people co-signing with him. SO if i were you i would go where i would have to spend less $$$

I would go with Louisville, great school, great people to work with, affordable city, if I hadn't have got my #1 choice this is where I would be going.

-Louisville

-Nova:
>Horrible weather (85% humidity)
>Relative high tuition
>Hot chicks
>Beautiful campus
>Low cost of living

-USC:
>Ridiculously expensive
>Add to that the cost of living in LA
>Campus located in a horrible neighborhood
>PBL (Problem Based Learning)
>Not much good news has been coming out of their dental school lately. In fact, they had some problems with the ADEA couple of years ago.
>On the bright side, you get to be part of the "Trojan Family" which definitely comes handy, when you start looking for a job, specially in the LA area.

-Western:
>Ghetto campus
>Relatively new school--This is important!! They haven't had any of their student taking the NB exams yet! So, really, there's no evidence of how their students perform on the NB's which means there's really no evidence of how good of an education you'll get there.

Any advice?
With all this in mind, my #1 choice would be "NOVA."