who writes USMLE I questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious who writes the exam.. med school professors from 1 school, assorted schools, or non-professors?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that a good portion of professors from UCSF write parts of the exams....

that is what I was told at the interview :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The guy who teaches our behaviorial sciences course writes questions. Yes, it made me start to listen a little more closely. ;)

Yup, prof's from every school has a chance to write them, whether or not they get in ...

Originally posted by BatmanMD
Yup, prof's from every school has a chance to write them, whether or not they get in ...

Ok, so WHO decides which questions to use?

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
The NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) decide which questions to use and how the test is adminstered. In addition, you can thank this board for implementation of clinical skill exams in future boardsl. :) Read here for more into:

http://www.usmle.org/news/cse.htm

That whole clinical exam idea makes me really mad. The test costs 1000 bucks, plus driving or flying expenses and hotel accommodations. That is really ridiculous for a med student to have to pay. The worst part is that the class of 2007 is going to be the first class it is required for?

Kirk

Agreed. I thought clinical skills assessment is the third and fourth year of medical school. What a pain for you all. I'm so glad to be done with all three steps. They keep adding more and more to the exams. AND have you noticed that they keep on raising the minimum passing score?

I'd bet at least half of the professors we've had at MN (both MDs and PhDs) have said something like, "This is important for the boards, and I should know; I write the questions." I don't think anyone really writes the questions; I suspect anyone can just submit some and USMLE folks just pick what they like. Or rather, I don't the fact that a professors writes questions for the boards means they have any special knowledge about what's on the test. It seems like everyone writes questions for the boards.

Hey Kirk (or anyone else who knows),

Are you sure that Class of 2007 is the first year the clinical skills exam will be required? I'm in the Class of 2006 and I have been hearing that we might have to take it...I agree though that it is dumb and way too expensive...

Jargon- I am not 100% sure, but during my interview one of the deans (I think the dean of student affairs) talked to us about the USMLE tests, and then she mentioned that for the class of 2007 the ?new clinical exam? would be mandatory. (I asked her if it was the one with the $1000 price tag, and she said yes.) It is possible that some schools will require it before, so your school may make the ?06 class take it as well?

Just a clarification:

The clinical skills assessment will be a component of Step II of the boards, and the Class of 2005 will be the first class to take it. It will cost ~$1,000 and will be offered at ~12 sites nationwide. The details may get ironed out a bit more, but this is the current state of affairs.

A bunch of my professors write questions for the boards...

Cheers,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

oh cr@p, thats my class. All this time i was glad to have avoided it!
:(
I hope they don't do it, it makes no sense.
If you fail, what happens, take personality lessons and change who you are? Sounds rough, but mostly sounds like a way to make some extra cash.

Being from Temple, it looks like I'll be forced to take it somehow even if Step IIb does end up only being mandatory nationwide in 2007 (though I have a feeling it'll end up 2006). :(

If it's not much pressure to pass, I wouldn't mind it except for the $1000 (even *without* transportation costs in my case!!!) Ridiculous and I do hope there's enough protest to lower the fee.