Who's Allowed to Write Recommendation Letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CreedThoughts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please direct me to a similar thread, if one exists.

I was the president of a fraternity at my undergrad institution. I graduated last year and I will be matriculating into medical school this fall. The volunteering chair of my frat had asked me to write him a recommendation letter for medical school. I was able to oversee him during many of our volunteer trips so I have a good idea of his character. But, I will be a medical student during his cycle so I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to write a recommendation letter since I'm basically a nobody and it might be awkward if he applies to the school I end up matriculating at (since they'll know that I'm just a student). Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone can write a letter of recommendation, the question should be "Will the school give a damn?" You can have your mailman write a letter if you want, but it wouldn't do you any good. A letter from you will probably have zero effect on the schools' decisions. Put in your situation, I'd probably advise him to ask other people for letters.

I'd also probably check to see who else he is asking.

Reactions: 4 users
Please direct me to a similar thread, if one exists.

I was the president of a fraternity at my undergrad institution. I graduated last year and I will be matriculating into medical school this fall. The volunteering chair of my frat had asked me to write him a recommendation letter for medical school. I was able to oversee him during many of our volunteer trips so I have a good idea of his character. But, I will be a medical student during his cycle so I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to write a recommendation letter since I'm basically a nobody and it might be awkward if he applies to the school I end up matriculating at (since they'll know that I'm just a student). Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Some medical schools do value recommendations from their own students. If your friend shares his application with you, and your school values your opinion, make an appointment to your admissions dean to discuss his candidacy. This will be far more helpful than an LOE from a former college classmate.
If your friend is really not a good candidate, at least you can save him a benjamin on the secondary.

Reactions: 1 user