Who's applying for path this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Plow

Yes, that's my name
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying for pathology residency in September and am wondering who else on here also plans to apply so that we can share experiences, info, rank lists, etc.. I know there must be at least a few of you out there! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Mr. Plow said:
I will be applying for pathology residency in September and am wondering who else on here also plans to apply so that we can share experiences, info, rank lists, etc.. I know there must be at least a few of you out there! :p

Count me in! I am planning on applying mostly to Southeastern programs (UAB, Emory, Vandy, etc). Where are you looking?

BamaAlum said:
Count me in! I am planning on applying mostly to Southeastern programs (UAB, Emory, Vandy, etc). Where are you looking?

Right on! I'm planning on applying mostly to programs in the Western U.S. (OHSU, UW, UA, UNM, UColorado, Penrose, Utah, etc..) Looking forward to starting the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in too!! I am so excited to move on to the next step, though I must admit I am pretty nervous about the whole process!

I am going to focus primarily in the midwest (Iowa, Michigan, UChicago, Northwestern, Wash U, etc.) but will probably apply to a few other places too in Boston and Seattle. I cannot decide about the California schools.

beary said:
I cannot decide about the California schools.
I would check off some Cali programs since applying to those places early on is pretty cheap. You can decide later if you want to actually go and interview at those places (that's where you lose a ton of money...having to pay for hotels and airfare).

Since you're MSTP, I would look into mainly 3 programs in Cali:

(1) UCSF - they have the Molecular Medicine Training Program. When the PD at UCSF (Patrick Treseler) invites you for interview (and I'm sure he will), he will fill you in on how to apply to the MMTP.
(2) Stanford - strong research there...especially if you're interested in stem cell related research. Quite a few MD/PhD folk are attracted to that residency program since they want to do their postdocs for Irv Weissman.
(3) UCLA - they have this program called the STAR program, which is modeled after WashU's PSTP program. Don't ask me what STAR stands for because I honestly don't remember. In any case, I found out about STAR during my interview visit and not before. Apparently, I needed to apply separately to STAR much earlier so that I could coordinate my STAR interviews with my residency interviews. So if you're interested, I would go to the website for the STAR program and apply separately from ERAS ahead of time. I'm just telling you so that you don't make the same mistake I did.

BTW, the department chairmen at all 3 pathology departments trained at the Brigham and are alums of the "Brigham model" of pathology. I think you're interested in being mainly a researcher so they would be excellent sources of advice as to optimize your career path to becoming a physician-scientist in pathology.

If anyone is looking in the Midwest, do consider Minnesota. It is a solid well-rounded program.

Plus, I just received word that they do not require ACLS certification of their residents ;)

Count me in! I plan on applying primarily to programs in the Northeast, and I can't wait to start the whole process.

We'll see if anyone recognizes my name from SDN, I suppose! :D

I'm in too. I've been hanging around for a while :)
Looking into East Atlantic Coast from Pensylvania downwards and Southwest region. I'm thinking about California too, but I know I can't really afford to live there with a family.

beary, the new chair here is apparently interested in putting more of a research (as in training future academicians) emphasis into the training program. They increased the number of spots here a year ago but apparently he would like to fill a couple of the spots with people who are set on researching.

I think that's true everywhere now though. Every program wants researchers.

yaah said:
I think that's true everywhere now though. Every program wants researchers.

Hey count me in too....ive been slow in replying since i ve been hooked to a dial up connection which sucks donkey s balls.....ill be mainly looking at north east in PA and around....I hope ill bump into you on the interview trial Brian!....Im sure ill recognise you!

Yaah, does U Mich take in IMG's with a fanatical obsession for research? :)
Ill probably need some pointers from you on this.....

There aren't many IMGs here - last two classes have been all AMGs, the rising third year class has one IMG researcher.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
There aren't many IMGs here - last two classes have been all AMGs, the rising third year class has one IMG researcher.

Darn!!!
There goes one off my list!....... :(

Hey everyone.. I'm a soon-to-be MSTP grad, planning on applying for path for the upcoming cycle. I'd definitely be up for sharing experiences from interviews and such along the way. I'm primarily interested in east coast schools that have a strong research bias, so a preliminary list:

Hopkins
BWH
Pitt
UNC
Duke
UVA (ok, perhaps not as strong as the others for research, but this is where I'm coming from and the department is solid).

Any thoughts/comments/general abuse to send my way?? :)

Aubrey said:
Hey everyone.. I'm a soon-to-be MSTP grad, planning on applying for path for the upcoming cycle. I'd definitely be up for sharing experiences from interviews and such along the way. I'm primarily interested in east coast schools that have a strong research bias, so a preliminary list:

Hopkins
BWH
Pitt
UNC
Duke
UVA (ok, perhaps not as strong as the others for research, but this is where I'm coming from and the department is solid).

Any thoughts/comments/general abuse to send my way?? :)
1. I would definitely consider putting UPenn to that list. MGH too (MGH and BWH interviews can easily be done on back-to-back days).
2. UNC didn't have as much research bias as I had hoped. Throw it in there if you're applying to Duke though. One word of caution, Duke sent out their interview invitations much later than UNC so coordinating those two interviews will be a little tricky.
3. It's up to you, but maybe put Emory on that list. I'm not sure though as to the extent of their research bias. Emory has solid research though.
4. I (foolishly) didn't apply to and check out Columbia. But I am told that their pathology department research is pretty tight.

I'm looking to apply to the east coast programs from Boston to Georgia. I'm interested in programs strong in diagnostics that will train me well for private practice.

Tidal said:
I'm looking to apply to the east coast programs from Boston to Georgia. I'm interested in programs strong in diagnostics that will train me well for private practice.
Through "word of mouth", I've heard that these programs are particularly strong in diagnostics: MGH, Johns Hopkins, Mt. Sinai, Yale, Thomas Jefferson, UNC, and UVA. Hope this helps!

Im in for this year. Ill be applying to the SE schools with UVA and Emory toping the list.

A good friend of mine who is at Emory has told me that while the research programs are good, there is not much administrative flexibility when residents want to get involved. So I'm a little biased against Emory.. with regards to Columbia, the neighborhood _really_ stunk when I was last there (admittedly, 10+ years ago), but I have heard that there has been a good bit of urban revitalization (gentrification? take yer pick) in the Harlem area, so maybe it is worth a look again.

I concur completely with UPenn..anybody interview there this past cycle?

[snip]
3. It's up to you, but maybe put Emory on that list. I'm not sure though as to the extent of their research bias. Emory has solid research though.

4. I (foolishly) didn't apply to and check out Columbia. But I am told that their pathology department research is pretty tight.
[snip]

I'll be applying as well, now that I'm officially a....

SENIOR!!!!!!!!!

Kiss my @ss, third year!

I am going to apply to path this year.

pathman2006 said:
I am going to apply to path this year. My step1 is 210 and I had to repeat the first year of school. Anybody else in this predicament? How did you do?

there's another SDNer that also had to repeat first year. I believe she matched for 2005, but she applied to like 30 places to increase her chances. You should be able to found out more if you search the archives.
I'm pretty sure that I'm applying to path this year. I finally got my schedule fixed so I could take a path elective this month rather than waiting till september. I've been pouring over archives to get more information now that I've figured out what I'm doing with my life. :clap:

Hi all! I'll be applying to path residencies this year too. I'm looking at mainly the midwest and southern Texas programs.

Personal statement done- check! Gettin' er done.

wapiti-stalker

elkchaser said:
Personal statement done- check! Gettin' er done.

wapiti-stalker

Aiyaaaa............

I need to START the freaking process....... :( :(

quant said:
Aiyaaaa............

I need to START the freaking process....... :( :(

I hate the stupid PS. I have written a couple paragraphs but then I hate it and delete it all. I definitely couldn't have gone into advertising b/c I am having a hard time BSing about myself.

BamaAlum said:
I hate the stupid PS. I have written a couple paragraphs but then I hate it and delete it all. I definitely couldn't have gone into advertising b/c I am having a hard time BSing about myself.

I guess for me starting the thing is difficult part of it all!!!!........It feels weird trying to talk about yourself...... :laugh:

beary said:
I haven't done anything either. :(

At least we are in the same boat!

Yay i have company.....But Beary i think we need to get going on the thing pronto!...What say?

No need to worry much now. Just try to get the PS and CV done by September. Plus, the rate limiting step in applications is getting your letters of recommendations. Most likely, you'll have everything together but will anxiously wait for your letter writers to get their LORs to the ERAS coordinator at your school.

quant said:
Yay i have company.....But Beary i think we need to get going on the thing pronto!...What say?

Maybe I will start jotting down some things for the PS.

When should we start asking letter writers for LORs?

I am worried about getting one from a pathologist. I have worked with a whole bunch of different staff this rotation and don't feel like I really know any of them. At least I should get a good one from my grad school PI (I hope! :) )

beary, the biggest letter for you will be from your PhD PI. This one needs to be an awesome one.

as for path letters, i worked with one of my letter writers for only one week. i mustered up the balls to ask him for a letter after sitting down with him for an hour to discuss my interest in pathology and my CV. the rest is history.

do you do another pathology rotation soon? if not, ask the two path attendings who you think you got to know better than the others for letters. path people tend to be pretty chill about this...they'll be happy that you're considering their field and i don't foresee much resistance when it comes down to writing a LOR.

beary said:

I am worried about getting one from a pathologist. I have worked with a whole bunch of different staff this rotation and don't feel like I really know any of them. At least I should get a good one from my grad school PI (I hope! :) )

beary said:

I had a question about LOR s...(Pardon my ignorance...)

Does a LOR whose rights to see have been waived carry more significance to a PD than one which is otherwise? I would like a LOR from my grad PI, and hope he ll give a good one, But he doesnt much of an idea about residency LOR s, so should i ask him to give an open one or rather waive my rights to it?

questions,questions!.... :)

you should waive your rights to it. however, all that means is that he signs some stupid form saying that you waived your right and that he includes a sentence stating, "this kickass motherf*cker who is known as quant has waived his right to see this really kickass letter." once that's all said and done with, who the hell cares what happens apart from that. hell, as long as the paper is signed and that statement is included in the letter, it doesn't matter if you've seen it. hell, you could write it for him if you wanted to...i say this sarcastically but you get the point.

Thanks andy mon...
I get the point... :)

I've been viewing SDN for the past year and this is my first posting. I'd just like to say it's been helpful hearing your advice and comments. :love:

Anyway...I've FINALLY decided on going onto the path!!!
Now, it's going to be fun figuring out where to apply.
I love NYC and would like to apply there but I keep hearing unsettling things about path in NYC. I've heard that there is rapid turnover of directors, a lot of work in Mt. Sinai, unorganization in cornell, bad neighborhood with columbia, and that there are more reputable schools to go to.
Can anyone one tell me what the word is with the NYC schools?
Thanks

Dr.Nick Riveria said:
I've been viewing SDN for the past year and this is my first posting. I'd just like to say it's been helpful hearing your advice and comments. :love:

Anyway...I've FINALLY decided on going onto the path!!!
Now, it's going to be fun figuring out where to apply.
I love NYC and would like to apply there but I keep hearing unsettling things about path in NYC. I've heard that there is rapid turnover of directors, a lot of work in Mt. Sinai, unorganization in cornell, bad neighborhood with columbia, and that there are more reputable schools to go to.
Can anyone one tell me what the word is with the NYC schools?
Thanks

Welcome to the club, Dr. Nick! :thumbup:

I've heard similar things about Mt. Sinai (not sure if they're true); they apparently get like 3 times the amount of surgicals as most places. I guess that might be good on one hand because you'd get to see some really great cases, but bad on the other because of lack of time for teaching and reviewing of said cases. Again, this may be totally untrue. I was unaware of Cornell...very interesting, indeed. Are you considering applying to any programs upstate (not upstate by nyc standards. Like Syracuse or Rochester)?

There was a lot of turnover at Cornell from what I heard but I also heard it was stabilizing and they have hired a couple of new whizbang faculty.

Other than a relatively disorganized interview day at Cornell, I didn't note any glaring deficiencies there. I did get the impression though that there was not as intimate of a relationship between the Cornell path program and Sloan Kettering as I would have liked (this is subjective though...if you decide to interview there, I would ask about this yourselves...ask them how much of an exposure a resident can have to Sloan Kettering cases and the relative ease with which one can do rotations X, Y, and Z there). I concur regarding the recruitment of some stellar faculty recently. Especially on the CP side since they got Dr. Leonard who was a big CP guru at Penn. I suspect that CP will improve significantly given this new addition to their faculty.

Sinai has very big volume. Apparently very strong in GI pathology especially in the field of IBD (according to a fellow resident in my program).

Columbia has a big academic and research focus.

Hi everyone,
I'll be applying for this year too. Mostly west coast schools. I was working on my personal statement and realized they give you a ridiculous amount of room to write. Is there any kind of standard for how long these things should be? I haven't written anything longer than an H&P since college! Yuck

AnnaLee said:
Is there any kind of standard for how long these things should be? Yuck

I agree, yuck. :barf:

I have heard to shoot for about a page.

It will be difficult for me to reach a page.

My first draft:
"Hi, my name is beary. I want to be a pathologist when I grow up. I hate being an M3 and I like cutting things up and looking through microscopes. Thank you."

Beary, that was the basic format for my PS.. I also added a paragraph about how I like to make BBQ. :D

beary said:
I agree, yuck. :barf:

I have heard to shoot for about a page.

It will be difficult for me to reach a page.

My first draft:
"Hi, my name is beary. I want to be a pathologist when I grow up. I hate being an M3 and I like cutting things up and looking through microscopes. Thank you."

AnnaLee said:
Is there any kind of standard for how long these things should be? I haven't written anything longer than an H&P since college!
I think one page is sensible. Eventually you can print it out in ERAS, in the format that programs will see it.

H&Ps are looooooong. Longer than personal statements ;) Or maybe I am just stuck in the IM frame of mind.

AnnaLee said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be applying for this year too. Mostly west coast schools. I was working on my personal statement and realized they give you a ridiculous amount of room to write. Is there any kind of standard for how long these things should be? I haven't written anything longer than an H&P since college! Yuck

It's nice to see another west coast-centric applicant. What programs are you looking at?

My PS is just one page, I think that's fairly standard.

Mr. Plow said:
It's nice to see another west coast-centric applicant. What programs are you looking at?

My PS is just one page, I think that's fairly standard.

Phew! only a page I think I can handle. I'll be applying to pretty much all the California schools, southwest and Oregon. I wouldn't mind being in the south either, Tulane or Florida would be pretty cool. I dont really know that much about those programs. I would like to stay in Northern california if I can. How about you?

AnnaLee said:
Phew! only a page I think I can handle. I'll be applying to pretty much all the California schools, southwest and Oregon. I wouldn't mind being in the south either, Tulane or Florida would be pretty cool. I dont really know that much about those programs. I would like to stay in Northern california if I can. How about you?

I don't blame ya, N. Cali is gorgeous. I'm applying to UW, OHSU(my home), UA, St. Joes, UNM, Colorado, Penrose, maybe Utah. I'm only applying on west coast, although I have no specific program preference yet. We should share interview experiences when the time comes :)

Anyone applying a DO? If so, I will be a DO and want to apply for a Path residency in my fourth year and need some advice. Thanks and good luck to all of you!!!

Doctor2007 said:
Anyone applying a DO? If so, I will be a DO and want to apply for a Path residency in my fourth year and need some advice. Thanks and good luck to all of you!!!

Well, I am applying as a DO student this year. Since I am just beginning the process I can't offer much in terms of advice but I be glad to comment after March. I did well on USMLE Step 1 which well help and I have some research experience (no publications though) that will certainly help. I also have several parts of my app that demonstrate my interest in Pathology for most of my medical school career. Hopefully, this added together will allow me to match at one of my choices. I am applying to about 25 programs.