Who's applying for path this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mosche said:
Just finished my rotation and am reconsidering! I found my rotation monotonous and looooong! As I stated on the Psych. forum,"I want to 'want to do Path'"; but, I think that I may have had it wrong :eek: !

I'm starting to panick. ERAS opens in one month, and I don't know what I want to be when I grow UP! How can one decide in 4 or 5 weeks what one wants to do with one's life? Don't get me wrong, I love the study of Path., it's just not as enjoyable-- FOR ME --to practice Path.. Can anyone else understand where I'm coming from?

Mosche
P.S. I still love this forum, and appreciate all the help that I've received here!

Mosche...(one of my close medical buddies was a fanatical admirer of moshe dayan)

I think i have said this before....and ill say it again. UNLESS you are happy with what you are doing professionally, you are destined to live a very miserable life.....

All that matters is whether you enjoy and LOVE what you are doing everyday. Work should not be a burden and become a chore......

Better to realise the same early than late......in fact better to realise it at some point of time than compromise with what you want to do....

Regards
Quant

Members don't see this ad.

mosche said:
Just finished my rotation and am reconsidering! I found my rotation monotonous and looooong! As I stated on the Psych. forum,"I want to 'want to do Path'"; but, I think that I may have had it wrong :eek: !

I'm starting to panick. ERAS opens in one month, and I don't know what I want to be when I grow UP! How can one decide in 4 or 5 weeks what one wants to do with one's life? Don't get me wrong, I love the study of Path., it's just not as enjoyable-- FOR ME --to practice Path.. Can anyone else understand where I'm coming from?

Mosche
P.S. I still love this forum, and appreciate all the help that I've received here!
I commend you for being honest with yourself. I would like to say though that depending on where you did your rotation, your rotation experience may differ vastly from the actual work. That being said, however, you clearly have seen the work that is done by pathology residents and pathology attendings. If you put yourself in their shoes and then realize that this is not the career for you, more power to you. Just like premeds who are dead set on going to medical school based on little insight and inadequate reflection, I think med students can fall into this trap too.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the well wishes! Path. forum still rocks!

beary said:
Quant is a very wise man.

aww...im not beary, There is an Indian saying which goes...

There are three levels of wisdom.....

One - Wisdom acquired without the necessity of an experience and the highest form of wisdom.

Two - Wisdom acquired after an experience

Three - Wisdom which is not acquired even after being experienced....aka dumasses..... :) :)

Im in category two which doesnt make me very wise.....on the other hand, Mosche is in category number one.....so that makes him smarter.... :)

I dunno about your quandry - med student path rotations are really not much like actualy residency, at most places anyway. You have minimal responsibility and a lot of the onus is on you to find something to do with your time. Residency is a lot more busy and defined. It's tough though when you don't really like your path med student rotation - I guess if you are not liking it because of how the day is organized, and how much responsibility you have, it is different than if it is because you just don't like looking at slides.

yaah said:
I dunno about your quandry - med student path rotations are really not much like actualy residency, at most places anyway. You have minimal responsibility and a lot of the onus is on you to find something to do with your time. Residency is a lot more busy and defined. It's tough though when you don't really like your path med student rotation - I guess if you are not liking it because of how the day is organized, and how much responsibility you have, it is different than if it is because you just don't like looking at slides.

True dat! Being a resident for me has thus far been absolutely unlike anything I experienced in medical school. It's hard (in a different way than med school was hard), but it's better. The amount to learn is quite daunting, although it's very nice to have some actual responsibility and an iota of autonomy.

In retrospect my surg path rotation in med school was pretty boring, not because of the material but because I was generally just hanging around. It's a lot different when you're in the driver seat.

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

Damn my random OCD.

*Come on, Mosche, don't be a *****. Join pathology. Sail the cool ocean breeze, catch a tropical disease, in pathology. You can still run out of gas in neutral, so get going, boy!

yaah said:
I dunno about your quandry - med student path rotations are really not much like actualy residency, at most places anyway. You have minimal responsibility and a lot of the onus is on you to find something to do with your time.

Boy, I was really lucky with my surg path rotation! It was the busiest rotation I have had yet. I got my own slides to dictate - the resident gave me the little ones like GI, endometrial, cervix biopsies, etc. I never did anything like a huge mandible resection or anything like that. But I also dictated all the bigger things that I grossed in like kidneys, colons, breasts, etc. And then I signed out with the attending. Probably 95% of the time my diagnosis was wrong, but it was definitely a great learning experience!

beary said:
Boy, I was really lucky with my surg path rotation! It was the busiest rotation I have had yet. I got my own slides to dictate - the resident gave me the little ones like GI, endometrial, cervix biopsies, etc. I never did anything like a huge mandible resection or anything like that. But I also dictated all the bigger things that I grossed in like kidneys, colons, breasts, etc. And then I signed out with the attending. Probably 95% of the time my diagnosis was wrong, but it was definitely a great learning experience!
Beary! :love:

Havarti666 said:
AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

Damn my random OCD.

*Come on, Mosche, don't be a *****. Join pathology. Sail the cool ocean breeze, catch a tropical disease, in pathology. You can still run out of gas in neutral, so get going, boy!

Hi guys! I know I am a little behind on this one. I have been away for the last month on a surgical path elective. Loved it. Sign me up! :love:

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal
Buttercupp

hey buttercup......

.......always wanted to say that..... :p :p :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
......welcome aboard!!!!!!!!

quant said:
......welcome aboard!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I have been sort of lurking for the last couple of months. This is by far the most entertaining forum :)

Buttercupp said:
Thanks! I have been sort of lurking for the last couple of months. This is by far the most entertaining forum :)
yes, i enjoy laughing at quant and his grammatically challenged and punctuation-excessive posts.

oops! I just realized that the list is alphabetical. I guess I won't say that I am observant in my PS.

Buttercupp said:
Hi guys! I know I am a little behind on this one. I have been away for the last month on a surgical path elective. Loved it. Sign me up! :love:

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal
Buttercupp

AndyMilonakis said:
yes, i enjoy laughing at quant and his grammatically challenged and punctuation-excessive posts.

whatever gets you off dude..... :p

Count me in :) ! I just finished surgical path at my school and I loved it!!

Hi everyone! Guess it's going to be a long several months of application and travel headaches but medical school does get old after a while. I am hoping one of you guys can help me figure out what AP/CP programs have a solid CP side to them. I have heard some horror stories of residents being handed a book during their allotted CP slot and told "Go learn CP." I know places like MGH, the Brigham, Penn, Stanford etc have excellent AP programs, but have heard rumors of less than adequate CP prep. Any suggestions or advice? :)

Good luck with ERAS, personal statements, and explaining to friends and family that pathology is not synonymous with CSI Miami:).

Count me in as well... I am in the middle of a thoroughly enjoyable 8 weeks of path rotations, including surg path, hemepath, medical autopsy, and forensics. I am having a blast! Just not looking forward to all this ERAS stuff.

Here, I'll add myself in...

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Buttercupp
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
Emaline
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

pathaddict2006 said:
I am hoping one of you guys can help me figure out what AP/CP programs have a solid CP side to them. I have heard some horror stories of residents being handed a book during their allotted CP slot and told "Go learn CP." I know places like MGH, the Brigham, Penn, Stanford etc have excellent AP programs, but have heard rumors of less than adequate CP prep. Any suggestions or advice? :)
CP encompasses a great variety of sub-specialties (microbiology/clinical chemistry/molecular diagnostics/hemepath/transfusion medicine/bloodbanking/coagulation), some more surgpath-like than others.

Also, there is more automation in CP than in AP.

Where I am for instance, hemepath has traditionally been strong. Does that necessarily mean all the CP rotations are equally strong? I have not rotated through them, so I don't necessarily know. I don't imagine it possible that they are "all equally strong", by such subjective phraseology.

So worry, but don't worry too much - because any program worth its salt would quickly move to plug the hole and monitor the leak if they found that for whatever reason residents were failing the CP part of the AP/CP boards. And do not forget that oftentimes, what you learn in residency is what you put into it.

For instance, if someone shoves a textbook at you and tells you to "go read", you can always go bug the med tech to let you see what they do on a daily basis. Chances are they have tons of experience, will be happy to teach and are only too glad you expressed an interest in their work. It'll be worth more than all the cookies you can bring them at the end of the rotation!

If I pontificated, kick me.

pathaddict2006 said:
Hi everyone! Guess it's going to be a long several months of application and travel headaches but medical school does get old after a while. I am hoping one of you guys can help me figure out what AP/CP programs have a solid CP side to them. I have heard some horror stories of residents being handed a book during their allotted CP slot and told "Go learn CP." I know places like MGH, the Brigham, Penn, Stanford etc have excellent AP programs, but have heard rumors of less than adequate CP prep. Any suggestions or advice? :)

Good luck with ERAS, personal statements, and explaining to friends and family that pathology is not synonymous with CSI Miami:).

Well, although it's really never high on anyone's match list, SUNY Upstate in Syracuse seems to be very strong in CP. Dr. Henry edits the "Todd and Sanford" book, and the CP attendings are quite good (or at least they were when I worked there). Hemepath is particularly strong, I believe. The program has a really high number of foreign grads, and I think tends to get overlooked. Plus, Syracuse isn't seen by many as an attractive place to live! :D I grew up there, and it really isn't bad. Especially if you like snow! ;)

Of course, I worked there as a med tech and cytotech, so I'm a bit biased. I'm doing a rotation there in December, and will hopefully get a better idea about the program as a whole at that time.

Happy ERAS!

pathaddict,

The CP at Penn is traditionally strong. The AP is not shabby. Overall, Penn is an example of a nicely balanced program. I would rank Penn's CP over MGH or Brigham's CP.

Take this as you may, but when I interviewed at Penn, I met a CP only resident who told me that CP training at Stanford is somewhat lacking in structure. His words not mine but I figured I'd share since that is the extent of my knowledge regarding Stanford CP :laugh:. I'm sure the Stanford folks can paint a more accurate picture.

I heard University of Washington has good CP training.

Irregardless, that seems to be the $64,000 question...which programs inequivocably have good CP?

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Plus, Syracuse isn't seen by many as an attractive place to live! :D I grew up there, and it really isn't bad. Especially if you like snow! ;)

Wow, I grew up there too! :thumbup:

What high school did you go to? I went to Fayetteville-Manlius.

beary said:

You re from Syracuse?
I thought you were a through and through midwest lady... :) :)

beary said:

Small world! I went to Baker High in Baldwinsville. Just went back there not too long ago...strange feeling.

quant said:
You re from Syracuse?
I thought you were a through and through midwest lady... :) :)

Well, I grew up in Syracuse and then moved to New Jersey during high school. Then we moved to Montreal. Then FINALLY we moved to Nebraska. I have liked everywhere I lived but definitely consider myself a through and through midwest lady. :) I would like to spend the rest of my life in the midwest if that is possible - especially since my family is settled in Nebraska now.

Thanks for the candid advice. After talking to residents and attendings about CP programs, my mind was more muddled than ever :) . I keep hearing good things about U of WA and Penn.

One last question. I did an almost 2 year research fellowship at MGH/HMS during medical school, but not in the path department. How much will that aid me in my quest to land a path interview?

Have a great night everybody:).

pathaddict2006 said:
Thanks for the candid advice. After talking to residents and attendings about CP programs, my mind was more muddled than ever :) . I keep hearing good things about U of WA and Penn.

One last question. I did an almost 2 year research fellowship at MGH/HMS during medical school, but not in the path department. How much will that aid me in my quest to land a path interview?

Have a great night everybody:).
It is very unlikely that you will be discriminated against if you did a research fellowship in a department other than pathology. The fact that you have some research experience will help make your application stronger. My feeling is that having done research is better than having done no research. This is mainly because most pathology applicants don't have research experience (nor do they have an interest in doing research in the future as a part of their career).

Good luck.

One page on the UNC path website seemed to indicate that they need a Chairman's letter for new applicants.. of course they also have a PDF application form on the same page that duplicates all the stuff we plug into ERAS, so... did anyone who applied last year send a Chairman's letter?? Thanks.

So I have an email from the program coordinator at UNC, saying that we need:

1. Dean's Letter (extra points if it's from Dean Smith)
2. One letter from "a pathologist who knows your work"
3. One letter from "someone of your choice"

So no big deal! :cool:

Aubrey said:
One page on the UNC path website seemed to indicate that they need a Chairman's letter for new applicants..
Came across that a few times on some websites during my trawling last year... If I remember right, they mostly refer to applicants for PGY-2 (or higher level)spots.

Aubrey said:
One page on the UNC path website seemed to indicate that they need a Chairman's letter for new applicants.. of course they also have a PDF application form on the same page that duplicates all the stuff we plug into ERAS, so... did anyone who applied last year send a Chairman's letter?? Thanks.
That PDF file is for residency programs in general. But I applied there without a chairman letter and I still got an interview there and was told that I was on their rank list come Feb. 23rd.

I'm throwing myself into the ring. After six months of agonizing what to do with my life, I am spending two months in pathology. I finished bb/cp last month and working in hemepath now. It's been fun so far although it's frustrating going to morning checkout and not being able to follow everything that is going on. This is after finishing the WHO book on heme tumors. I am definitely enjoying the lifestyle although it seems we have conference almost every hour here.

emu kid said:
I'm throwing myself into the ring. After six months of agonizing what to do with my life, I am spending two months in pathology. I finished bb/cp last month and working in hemepath now. It's been fun so far although it's frustrating going to morning checkout and not being able to follow everything that is going on. This is after finishing the WHO book on heme tumors.
Wow you read a lot faster than I do... :oops: One and a half months of heme and I've managed to read maybe a quarter of the book. And we're not even talking retention!

deschutes said:
Wow you read a lot faster than I do... :oops: One and a half months of heme and I've managed to read maybe a quarter of the book. And we're not even talking retention!

Ha! I wasn't talking about retention either. ;) I read in the office when there's downtime, and there is PLENTY of it. We check out once in the AM and again in the PM. Aside from that and conferences I'm in the office looking at consults or previewing the occassional case that comes my way. I don't know what I'm looking at half the time, but the fellows are good about pointing me in the right direction. You got to love path residents.

emu kid said:
I don't know what I'm looking at half the time, but the fellows are good about pointing me in the right direction. You got to love path residents.
May I suggest the wall-to-wall poster of CD antigens/antibodies? :p

Honestly though, I'm finding my brain works in mysterious ways. I'd rather memorize CD10, 19, 20, 23 as B markers and CD13, 33, 117 as myeloid markers etc. than memorizing the side effect profiles of the various antidepressant classes.

Last edited:
deschutes said:
May I suggest the wall-to-wall poster of CD antigens/antibodies? :p

Honestly though, I'm finding my brain works in mysterious ways. I'd rather memorize CD10, 19, 20, 23 as B markers and CD13, 33, 117 as myeloid markers etc. than memorizing the side effect profiles of the various antidepressant classes.

C'mon, any interested path student has already got the CD poster. It's right there next to my poster of Kino****a Ayumi and Juan Rosai. You got to love a poster that uses a small type.

Just sitting in flow check out has helped me a lot on the CD markers though. CD19, 20, 3, 4, 8, etc. Some of the ones (i.e. CD7) I have a little more trouble remembering.

emu kid said:
C'mon, any interested path student has already got the CD poster. It's right there next to my poster of Kino****a Ayumi and Juan Rosai.
Evidently I am not an "interested path student" ;)

If they came up with a poster that broke the info down by cell classes instead of the CD numbers in series, I'd consider taking out that book fund.

deschutes said:

If they came up with a poster that broke the info down by cell classes instead of the CD numbers in series, I'd consider taking out that book fund.

Serotec gives away a bitchin' CD antigen poster.. check it out, yo:

www.serotec.com/asp/posters& brochures/litrequest2.htm

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've decided to do pathology and I'm really excited about it. I'm looking forward to reading along with you all as we go through the application process. I'm applying mainly to programs in the southeast and a couple in California. I'm sure I'll run into some of you on the interview trail. I'll add mself to the list...

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Buttercupp
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
drPLUM
elkchaser
Emaline
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

deschutes said:

Yeah, I always thought it was easier to remember CD# when I could associate it with cell classes. We could make one and make billions. BILLIONS I TELL YA! Have you ever used www.pathologyoutlines.com by the way? It's much handier than the poster. No where near as sexy though. ;)

I'm adding myself to the list. I'm interested in going somewhere new. Various reasons have kept me in the southeast far too long. It's only fair that the rest of the country gets to experience my lovely charm. :D I'll see you guys on the interview circuit.

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Buttercupp
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
drPLUM
elkchaser
Emaline
emu kid
Gran_Turismo
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

You guys are awesome. I totally forgot about pathoutlines for heme!

They don't let me zoom in on that thumbnail of the poster. Figures.

There CD poster is right in front of my scope (somewhat organized with sticky notes), while the comp is in the next room.

That pattern of use will probably change when my laptop arrives...

Added my name to the list:

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Buttercupp
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
drPLUM
elkchaser
Emaline
emu kid
Gran_Turismo
HappyPanda
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

AndyMilonakis said:
I would check off some Cali programs since applying to those places early on is pretty cheap. You can decide later if you want to actually go and interview at those places (that's where you lose a ton of money...having to pay for hotels and airfare).

Since you're MSTP, I would look into mainly 3 programs in Cali:

(1) UCSF - they have the Molecular Medicine Training Program. When the PD at UCSF (Patrick Treseler) invites you for interview (and I'm sure he will), he will fill you in on how to apply to the MMTP.
(2) Stanford - strong research there...especially if you're interested in stem cell related research. Quite a few MD/PhD folk are attracted to that residency program since they want to do their postdocs for Irv Weissman.
(3) UCLA - they have this program called the STAR program, which is modeled after WashU's PSTP program. Don't ask me what STAR stands for because I honestly don't remember. In any case, I found out about STAR during my interview visit and not before. Apparently, I needed to apply separately to STAR much earlier so that I could coordinate my STAR interviews with my residency interviews. So if you're interested, I would go to the website for the STAR program and apply separately from ERAS ahead of time. I'm just telling you so that you don't make the same mistake I did.

BTW, the department chairmen at all 3 pathology departments trained at the Brigham and are alums of the "Brigham model" of pathology. I think you're interested in being mainly a researcher so they would be excellent sources of advice as to optimize your career path to becoming a physician-scientist in pathology.

as a stanford resident, agree with above assessment of cali programs. Would toss in UCSD as a 4th, and probably below the other 3 (1-3 in no particular order). I actually think that UCSF is a bit more research heavy vs. stanford. I mean you can get hardcore research at all 3 places, but if i'm not mistaken, SF requires some sort of project of the residents - which is actually not THAT bad of an idea, but if you're like me, with negative (minus1) research experience and background, then being forced to do something can be stressful but probably like taking omega3 capsules, just good for you. Stanford is an excellent diagnostic program though, i must add that. AP is obv great (super busy) but CP is good too - although prob not as well developed as SF. But i def wouldn't knock our CP just b/c it's newer...that, in fact, can actually be a good thing in that people are not nec stuck in their ways.

for west coast trip, i'd def. toss in Univ of washingon in the group. A must see. That, with the above 3, i consider the top 4 of the west coast. Below that oregon, then perhaps SD (or vice versa).
hope that helps.
GL all.

Hey everybody-

Long time lurker here, but I have to say that all your posts have really helped me out. I'm only a third year, but I'm almost 100% that path is what I want to do-so count me in for September. I'll most likely apply to the midwest area, and I will also be a D.O.! I'll add myself in...

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Buttercupp
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
drPLUM
elkchaser
Emaline
emu kid
Gran_Turismo
HappyPanda
kaw
Matt4_4
Mosche???*
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
srlacy
Stinger86
Supersheep
sweet_n_sour
Tidal

And I do agree that this forum is one of the most creative and friendliest out there......

Technically, you should start the "Who is applying for path this coming year" thread or something to that effect ;)