Who's applying for path this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr. Plow said:
I don't blame ya, N. Cali is gorgeous. I'm applying to UW, OHSU(my home), UA, St. Joes, UNM, Colorado, Penrose, maybe Utah. I'm only applying on west coast, although I have no specific program preference yet. We should share interview experiences when the time comes :)

The Plow- looks like we may run into each other several times along the interview trail, as my list looks darn near the same as yours.

Members don't see this ad.

elkchaser said:
The Plow- looks like we may run into each other several times along the interview trail, as my list looks darn near the same as yours.

What can I say, we've got great taste in programs. West-sidazz in da hizzouse! :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
geddy said:
Greta clip - I love that movie. Will Ferrell is a pretty funny guy. His GWB impressions are still the best.
I heard that periods attract bears. The bears can smell the menstruation.

I killed a man with a trident.

quant said:

Anchorman reference. Steve Carrell's character killed a man with a trident during the news team clash scene.

BamaAlum said:
Anchorman reference. Steve Carrell's character killed a man with a trident during the news team clash scene.

ah!

AndyMilonakis said:
I heard that periods attract bears. The bears can smell the menstruation.
There was a presentation on UWTV called "Women in the Wilderness" in which this topic was addressed. That is just an urban ledgend. Did you know that bears do not like to eat used tampons? They will, however, eat them if you soak them in beef fat. Fascinating.

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Members don't see this ad :)
The list so far (please add or correct as necessary):

Mr. Plow
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
papaya
quant
Aubrey
Tidal
kaw
Stinger86
pathman2006
AznDragon
elkchaser
Dr.Nick Riviera
AnnaLee

I'm sure more will come out of the woodwork, even if we have to wait until match day.

Havarti666 said:
The list so far (please add or correct as necessary):

Mr. Plow
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
papaya
quant
Aubrey
Tidal
kaw
Stinger86
pathman2006
AznDragon
elkchaser
Dr.Nick Riviera
AnnaLee

I'm sure more will come out of the woodwork, even if we have to wait until match day.

Sorry I've been a little slow to catch on... count me in too! (assuming I pass step II tomorrow ;) )

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
kaw
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
Tidal

Yup add me to the list. I'm thinking mostly midwest schools at this point as I'm from Wisconsin and go to MCW. I'm in the middle of my path elective right now and finally feel like I actually could belong somewhere. I'm also taking an away elective in surgical path. next month at OHSU. Will be applying to Madison, MCW, Michigan, Minnesota, OHSU, Penrose, maybe Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and haven't decided about the Chicago area yet. I'd be happy to contribute my impressions to the group or offer my opinions of MCW if anyone is interested in Milwaukee. :p

tell me about MCW

Matt4_4 said:
Yup add me to the list. I'm thinking mostly midwest schools at this point as I'm from Wisconsin and go to MCW. I'm in the middle of my path elective right now and finally feel like I actually could belong somewhere. I'm also taking an away elective in surgical path. next month at OHSU. Will be applying to Madison, MCW, Michigan, Minnesota, OHSU, Penrose, maybe Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and haven't decided about the Chicago area yet. I'd be happy to contribute my impressions to the group or offer my opinions of MCW if anyone is interested in Milwaukee. :p

Matt4_4 said:
Yup add me to the list.

At the risk of sounding bitchy (I'm not trying to, really), why don't you add yourself to the list?

Havarti666 said:
At the risk of sounding bitchy (I'm not trying to, really), why don't you add yourself to the list?

Because you do it so well!! ;)

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
kaw
Matt4_4
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
Tidal

~
There. Everyone happy.

AnnaLee
Aubrey
AznDragon
BamaAlum
beary
Brian Pavlovitz
CameronFrye
Dr. Nick Riviera
elkchaser
kaw
Matt4_4
Mr. Plow
papaya
pathman2006
quant
Stinger86
Supersheep
Tidal

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Because you do it so well!! ;)

Urge to bring up your mom rising.... must... resist....

Dr.Nick Riveria said:
I've been viewing SDN for the past year and this is my first posting. I'd just like to say it's been helpful hearing your advice and comments. :love:

Anyway...I've FINALLY decided on going onto the path!!!
Now, it's going to be fun figuring out where to apply.
I love NYC and would like to apply there but I keep hearing unsettling things about path in NYC. I've heard that there is rapid turnover of directors, a lot of work in Mt. Sinai, unorganization in cornell, bad neighborhood with columbia, and that there are more reputable schools to go to.
Can anyone one tell me what the word is with the NYC schools?
Thanks

The only bad things I've heard about NYC programs has been in this forum. They all mostly consist of "NYC is sooooo expensive". I graduated from Cornell's program and can tell you that it is a great place to train. There has been some turnover in the last few years, but all big institutions experience this (look at U of Michigan). The turnover is usually with junior attendings who come back to academia for a few years after fellowship. Cornell really provides an excellent balance in training for AP and CP.

Mt. Sinai does have ALOT of volume, but they do an amazing job at training surgical and forensic pathologists. They know they have alot of work, and distribute the scut mostly to ancillary staff. The residents really only benefit from this feature of the program. The big volume is in the "big volume" subspecialties (derm, GI, heme, GU, soft tissue). They have very impressive fellowship and job placement. I would say this program is probably the strongest for AP training, but CP is really weak.

Columbia is very research and academically focused, but they have completely revamped their CP program. This program is also excellent for AP training, but their big names tend to be in the more academically restricted areas (renal path, neuropath, cardiovascular path).

I hope this helps!! The programs is New York face the same problems as places located elsewhere is the country (mainly underfunding of academic centers). But the quality of training can't be disputed if you look at the track record of graduates from these programs.

In more general terms, you will hear unexpected comments - both good and bad - about programs you are interested in and will be applying to/interviewing at.

Some of the "bad" may not even have much impact on residency training, or perhaps be acceptable to some and utterly deplorable to others.

Or, it may be - as it so often is - work in progress.

For instance, before I visited UMN I had heard rumblings about the institution being in the red a few years back. When I got here it was business as usual and I didn't pick up on anything that really concerned me.

We just (as in yesterday) got four sweet new Dells in the CP residents' room. Residents are getting funded left right and centre for conference travel.
The head of dept is asking us what other hardware/infrastructure we want to make our lives easier.

So really, oftentimes it is about seeing for yourself.

We met with the chair here today and he is planning to hire a big name to run AP here - and I do mean a big name. The name dropping he gave today was pretty impressive. We have seminar from candidate #1 on thursday. I will not divulge the names though in case it's a secret for some reason.

It's kinda funny how we visit programs for one day and then jump to conclusions. Some are more reasonable. Some are unfounded and based on inaccurate perceptions. Then we're supposed to come up with some sort of rank list. Then we wait for 3-4 weeks for some stupid ass computer to do about 2 minutes of work compiling the Match results. Then we match at a program and pray to dear god that we picked a place where we would be happy. :laugh:

Sorry, I'm on my first Path rotation; so, I don't have time to post very often (what with the new Harry Potter book, a trip to Beale Street in Memphis, all the movies, and, by the way, Andy you look much younger on T.V. than I had expected).

Anyway, I'm in this year. Right now my list is primarily limited to midwestern schools, though there are a few others. For the interested -- if there are any -- here is my (tentative) list: Minnesota, Michigan, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin Madison, MCW Milwaukee, U. of Chicago, both Northwestern programs, Iowa, Wash. U., The Ohio State University (I love the sound of arrogance in academia!), and my soon-to-be almamater.

Good luck to everyone!

mosche said:
by the way, Andy you look much younger on T.V. than I had expected.
and he's whiter and fatter too.
mosche said:
The Ohio State University (I love the sound of arrogance in academia!), and my soon-to-be almamater.
:laugh: My alma mater had "The" preceding the name too. I think it's stoopid. Well, I shall add you to my list of enemies since you're a no good Buckeye ;) . And I think the Buckeye fight song really goes like this:

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.
They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus,
It looks just like a zoo.

Knock them off their ivory towers,
Send them crawling into the showers,
Down with Ohio State,
It’s a know-nothing party school!

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.,
Are husband hunting dames,
They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct,
Not the boys with brains.

At Columbus you’re way ahead,
With straight A’s in Physical Ed,
Down with Ohio State,
It’s a know-nothing party school.

Bust your guts for Tressel!
Move your butts for Tressel!

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue,
They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus,
It looks just like a zoo. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Knock them off their ivory towers,
Send them crawling into the showers,
Down with Ohio State,
It’s a know-nothing party schoooooooooool!

The "The" in the Ohio State University is more for football. The arrogance is all there, not really in academics. :laugh:

mosche said:
Sorry, I'm on my first Path rotation; so, I don't have time to post very often (what with the new Harry Potter book, a trip to Beale Street in Memphis, all the movies, and, by the way, Andy you look much younger on T.V. than I had expected).

Anyway, I'm in this year. Right now my list is primarily limited to midwestern schools, though there are a few others. For the interested -- if there are any -- here is my (tentative) list: Minnesota, Michigan, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin Madison, MCW Milwaukee, U. of Chicago, both Northwestern programs, Iowa, Wash. U., The Ohio State University (I love the sound of arrogance in academia!), and my soon-to-be almamater.

Good luck to everyone!

I think that my inferior grammatical skills may have misled ya'll! OSU is NOT my almamater -- I'm applying to my almamater in addition to OSU and the others on the list. However, I am not really planning on staying in the South; so, my home school is really a back-up! Sorry if I misled ya'll :oops:

As an aside: my friends at OSU assure me that there is a reason that Michigan refers to their stadium as "The Big House"; however, I informed them that people who live in glass houses.... :laugh:

Darn it all, I totally forgot about the Harry Potter book! I got a news tidbit on my pager that told me a few copies were "accidentally" sold ahead of time in Canada.

bananaface said:
your mom goes to college

Huh? My mom's a filthy *****. Her only excuse to go to college probably involved free Muscatel and the phrase "fingerbang."

yaah said:
Yeah, the reason is that it is the biggest stadium in the country. Perhaps that's funny in Ohio. :laugh:

Now, now. Ohio may not be perfect -- but they do have Toledo! :sleep:

And don't even get me started on Youngstown! :scared:

Havarti666 said:
Huh? My mom's a filthy *****. Her only excuse to go to college probably involved free Muscatel and the phrase "fingerbang."

Knowledge is power! :idea:

mosche said:
Now, now. Ohio may not be perfect -- but they do have Toledo! :sleep:

And don't even get me started on Youngstown! :scared:

Count me in for applicants this year!! I'm looking at all of the Ohio programs: Cincinnati, OSU, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic. Any input about the differences between these programs. I know they all have some big names and the cost of living is cheap, but are any particularly better in GI or derm or CP, etc...?

Gran Turismo said:
Count me in for applicants this year!! I'm looking at all of the Ohio programs: Cincinnati, OSU, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic. Any input about the differences between these programs. I know they all have some big names and the cost of living is cheap, but are any particularly better in GI or derm or CP, etc...?

Cincinnati is definitely the strongest in GI, but probably the weakest in CP. I know that a neuropathologist at Case Western just won the Nobel prize last year for work on some prion disease. Don't assume that all of Ohio is the same in terms of living. Cincinnati is very southern, Columbus is very cosmopolitan, and Cleveland is very blue collar. They are all very different cities with VERY different scenes and vibes.

yaah said:
Yeah, the reason is that it is the biggest stadium in the country. Perhaps that's funny in Ohio. :laugh:
Very old stadium:
Stadium%20Bowl2.jpg

Guess where?

bananaface said:
LOL. Did you just now get the Napoleon Dynamite reference?

No. If I want to see a hopelessly ******ed loser I will pop in a some old home movies.

Cincinnati has Dr. Fenoglio-Preiser for GI path.

Gran Turismo said:

The list would something like:
1. Cleveland Clinic
2. CC
3. CC
4. CC
etc.

Goldblum owns GI/soft tissue.

i am applying this year - looking at all programs in California

mosche said:

Good luck to everyone!

Just finished my rotation and am reconsidering! I found my rotation monotonous and looooong! As I stated on the Psych. forum,"I want to 'want to do Path'"; but, I think that I may have had it wrong :eek: !

I'm starting to panick. ERAS opens in one month, and I don't know what I want to be when I grow UP! How can one decide in 4 or 5 weeks what one wants to do with one's life? Don't get me wrong, I love the study of Path., it's just not as enjoyable-- FOR ME --to practice Path.. Can anyone else understand where I'm coming from?

Mosche
P.S. I still love this forum, and appreciate all the help that I've received here!