Who's been accepted to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's great! This year getting in anywhere is something to cheer about.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Triangulation..you always mention how great it is to live in l.a.

Can you share all the positives of living there.

and the negatives if you would like to point them out.

also, i read your post on generic drugs...can you please tell me how this is bad for pharmacists. don't pharmd's all get a set pay, despite profits?

Members don't see this ad :)
I never said it was great to live in LA, but I've got extended fam there and my bro's in SD, so it'd be cool. I'm kinda sick of SF. It's not that it doesn't have some amenities that just kick @#$, because it does. Culture galore and excellent restaurants in SF, but it sucks being poor here, and you can't find parking. Moreover, the general mojo of the Bay Area hasn't been that great for me. I'll miss a ton of stuff here, but I'm ready for wearing shorts at night.

My gf, who incidentally hates me most of the time, is down there and I have some cultural history i want to find out about.

I finally sent in my update letter to USC!!!

I finally sent in my update letter to USC!!!

Holy crap dude! You should've done that weeks ago. Did you send more LOR?

yup only one though

sigh... got my rejection...

Sorry dude. No sweat though. You'll be done a year before i will and that's a good thing.

Well....I was pretty much planning on UOP regardless of USC. I figured I can go to night school for law while working as a pharmasist. In the long run, it would be a better deal for me at USC or Maryland. It also would only take 3 years + 3 years of law.

Hey Tri,

Did USC call you and congrats you on getting accepted to USC? They called me yesterday and asked if I had any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nuh uh. What is that about?!?! I feel slighted;)

USC called and congratulated me on my acceptance and asked if I had any questions. I thought they called everyone that has been accepted. It is nothing special hehe :laugh: :love:

hey...where are the good housing places to live if you're going to usc pharm?

Monterey Park, Alhambra and if money is not an issue then Pasadena.

What is the range of prices for apartments?

In Monterey Park and Alhambra, you can get a room for $375-500. In Pasadena, it is around $500+ a room.

how far are the locations...and what about safety..

Monterey Park and Alhambra is about 5 - 15 minutes away from the campus, while Pasadena is about 15 - 20 minutes away. They are all relatively safe.

By the way, I am currently living in Monterey Park.

I'm finally able to participate in this ever so popular thread.

I just received my USC acceptance bundle this week. It was nice to see and hold the big, red, shiny folder - but I think I'm leaning towards UW.

Great~! Congratulations~!!:clap: :clap:

When did you interview?

Thank you very much BM.

UW? April 4th.
USC? March 22nd

Where are you headed?

Hey, wassup. I just got into USC. I just wanted to know if you knew which parking lots are the best to select..or what is the closest in rank.

tell me, please. please share.

also, what about the most highly sought after housing among pharm students?

hey. rishkh..can you tell me about the usc pharmd/jd...how much do you make coming out of it..i heard its not worth it. i.e. you don't make much-less than a regular lawyer.

its still an interesting field though...how is it that you cut one year off?? what classes do they cut off?

From what I know about the JD/PharmD at USC is that the program just started this year. There are no people in the program. As far as doing the program, I pretty much decided it's not worth it because of economical factors. PharmD/JD is a good program to get into because it is a small niche to enter and there are venues that always hire.

The con for going into the program (especially USC) is the cost of attending the school for 6 years. Inlcuding tuiton and other expenses, I can easily see you to be in debt close to 200,000 without the interest you accrue while paying it off.

Personally I had the chance of going to Maryland for the exact same program, but I decided against it. The reason is again economical but in addition I figured a more feasible method.
Once I graduate from UOP (3 years) I plan on continuing evening law school. I will earn a decent salary instead of starving for 3 more years. In addition, if I choose to attend day school I can have a more broader choices of schools I can apply to.

The people that I know that have this degree tend to have a B.S. in pHarmacy and a JD later on in the career.

Hope that helps.

I just received my USC acceptance bundle this week. It was nice to see and hold the big, red, shiny folder - but I think I'm leaning towards UW.

Whoa! For me that would be the decision of all decisions for personal reasons. Either way you're gonna come out a winner, but U-Dub is phenomenal. I loved every minute there, but So Cal calls me....I must answer.

Pharmdreamer,

Where did you do your undergrad?

hey..i went to ucdavis.. how about you. hey can you answer my qeustion about parking..which lot do you choose.

U-Dub. In the packet it said there was only the one lot that we get a shot at. You have to go to the website in the packet and sign up. It's first come first served.

Originally posted by pharmddreamer
Hey, wassup. I just got into USC. I just wanted to know if you knew which parking lots are the best to select..or what is the closest in rank.

tell me, please. please share.

also, what about the most highly sought after housing among pharm students?

Also, what's the public transportation system like? They mention one goes between the two campuses but what about city's own public transportation?

Has anyone heard if it's difficult to get a parking permit? You have to sign up for one?!

Originally posted by Triangulation
Whoa! For me that would be the decision of all decisions for personal reasons. Either way you're gonna come out a winner, but U-Dub is phenomenal. I loved every minute there, but So Cal calls me....I must answer.

It's a tough decision. I'm trying to remain objective till the very end about my decision -- but UW and the city of Seattle keeps coming out on top.

Just curious Tri, did you apply to UW SOP? if not, why?

-nocsag56

I didn't take the pcat, so 'no' i didn't apply, but even if i had i probably wouldn't have applied (i didn't apply to osu either and they didn't require it.) I'm not quite ready to leave CA yet.

I want you to attend SC, but it's for selfish reasons like me and these other people are going.

Seattle does totally rock, i can list a thousand reasons why and a two thousand cafes why (i'm all over friendly cafes: bauhaus, B and O, Still Life, to name a few of the great ones in Seattle. There's also this great one that was only located in a mall when i left seattle called 'zio ricco' it had a moka java sanani that killed!!!!!

SC does rock, but it's hella dough. U-Dub would be cheaper in the long run, but it depends on your long term goals.

tri, thanks for all the mocha sources. i'm sure i'll need it.

thankfully USC and UW are like apples and oranges. it makes decision-making all the more easier.

the only good reasons for me to attend USC would be that it's within half a day's drive from home and the curriculum would likely be better prep for the CA board exams.

but in terms of finances, quarter/semester system , class size and climate (to name a few) - UW has more appeal to me.

anyway - enough udub talk. this is land-o-da-trojans!!

Nocsag,

So? What are you leaning towards now? U-dub or SC? I gotta know this stuff.

Tri,

I'm heavily leaning towards UW. They required a response yesterday -- and so I sent in my acceptance. Thankfully they didn't require a deposit just yet - so it's retractable.

USC requires a response manana. So, I'm skating on less than 24 hrs to make a decision about the next 4-6 yrs.

I'm in conflict -- and maybe you might have some input on it. The only conflict I have about giving up completely on USC is that it's in CA, while UW has nearly every other qualification I'm looking for in a prgm.

Many of the out-of-state interviews I've been to have always had some reference to CA schools and their prestige and excellent programs. So, I'm feeling like a fish swimming against the current. CA schools are impacted and highly competitive to get into ---- and even out-of-state people are trying to get in. So, why should I pass up something most everyone else wants?

At the end of the day, you want to choose the program you can see yourself being the most satisfied with. It sounds like that that' s U-dub for you. I'd be happier if you chose SC, but you gotta do what you need. A good question to ask yourself is: What did you think of the upperclassmen at both schools? Can you imagine yourself being like them? Are they the kind of people you want to work with?

bump

You left-coasters really know how to drive a person nuts! Lets kill the thread already, it's only on page 7. You can even start a new thread with the same title, I'm just tired of wading through the replies to see what's going on over there. :p

Jd

You can even start a new thread with the same title, I'm just tired of wading through the replies to see what's going on over there.

;) I'm keepin this thread alive at all hazards;)

hey jd/pharmd?..i haven't heard from you in a while..can you write back to me by email... hey.where are you going? are you going to fsu, or midwestern-chicago.

ttyl

MWU-Chicago, I'll be looking for an apt in Downers Grove next week! We even get to take classes with medical students, what an honor!

Jd

bump

Go away thread! bad thread, bad thread! Actually, I can edit my previous post, since now I'm going to MWU in Arizona. I just wanted to be closer to California, that's all! :D (no, not really)

Jd

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

YOU'RE GONNA BE A CALIFORNIAN SOON LOL!!!

Oh yeah JD. The editor's comments in pharmacy times discussed pharmacy compensation for cognitive service that you brought up in the 'owning a rx' thread. I'll post on it later. I frankly think it's a silly idea, not bc it's not a good one, but because it'll never get passed the MD community. at any rate, more later....

This thread will not die.....not on my watch ;)

Did any of you guys get your FA packets yet?