Who's going to NYU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aah_289,
NYU will costs you about 70G the first year (based on 10 months school year) and about 76G 2nd and 3rd year and about another 70G for the 4th year. the tuitoin in no problem at all.
The only problem which you will face is that the adminstration will treat the students ad only money and numbers. now if you do your studies and be on top of your school work, you wont have any problem.
By numbers i mean, they accept around 260-270 students for the 1st year, there is a 10% drop/fail out rete. I am sure you all know this.
the 2nd year, there will be 120-140 or so Advaced Placement students (foregin doctors) will be added to the class. However, there is only about 300 spaces in the clinics. so there is another cut at the end of the 2nd year. so as long as you are not in the 50-70 bottom students you have no reason to be worried about.
Now once you are in the clinic you will be so busy with patients and you will have the best time of your life if you love dentistry which you do.

Welcome to NYU future Drs.

Members don't see this ad.

to Dr.Bad Vibes:

Yes, cost is indeed a benefit of attending Buffalo vs. NYUCD. I do mention it as a plug for my school seeing how everyone else on this board is so cost-conscious. :D

Cost wasn't that big an issue with me though. From seeing how my sister handled her situation in the past 4 years, I wasn't particularly worried about not being able to pay off my loans if I had gone to NYU. Will it take longer to pay it off? Yes. Will it make life a bit harder for several years after graduation? Absolutely. Is it an insurmountable hurdle? Hell no. :cool:

UBTom said:
to Dr.Bad Vibes:

Yes, cost is indeed a benefit of attending Buffalo vs. NYUCD. I do mention it as a plug for my school seeing how everyone else on this board is so cost-conscious. :D

Cost wasn't that big an issue with me though. From seeing how my sister handled her situation in the past 4 years, I wasn't particularly worried about not being able to pay off my loans if I had gone to NYU. Will it take longer to pay it off? Yes. Will it make life a bit harder for several years after graduation? Absolutely. Is it an insurmountable hurdle? Hell no. :cool:

Arazi & UBTom,
Thanks for the new information. Always good to hear from you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about the 26th st apts. If your scheduled to live in the two bedroom arrangement, what are the odds of having to share a bedroom? I noticed that it states that 4 people are to live in those rooms and 2 people in the loft rooms.

Adzam said:
I was wondering about the 26th st apts. If your scheduled to live in the two bedroom arrangement, what are the odds of having to share a bedroom? I noticed that it states that 4 people are to live in those rooms and 2 people in the loft rooms.

That's some BS. Where did you read this?

Twentysixth Street Residence A,T,C, I, K
Shared studio apt, 1 room for 2 persons $9,110 $4,555
2 bedroom apt for 4 persons $7,280 $3,640

Adzam said:
Twentysixth Street Residence A,T,C, I, K
Shared studio apt, 1 room for 2 persons $9,110 $4,555
2 bedroom apt for 4 persons $7,280 $3,640

Adzam,
You are looking at the rate for UNDERGRAD students. You scared me there for a moment. For GRADUATE student rates, check this page: http://www.nyu.edu/housing/payments/gradroomrates.html

Hello my fellow NYUCD people!
Just wanted to let you know that I will be joining the class of 2008. I made up my mind in February actually...
BTW am I the only girl here? I don't know, I've been reading the thread you all sound pretty tough, hee hee ;)
Anyone from Illinois? I went to UIUC, bled orange and blue...
Now I am ready to bleed purple for next 4 years, yay!

uuh, does everyone know that the bottom 50-70 will get cut? Do they do this at other dental schools? Sure I don't think I'm the worst student but there's always a chance for average students to end up #70 and get cut by one person. Geez, I wonder how many of those students who get cut were actually great students but just got beat out by people cause of hundreths of a GPA?

The truth of the matter is, NYU does not arbitrarily cut people from the program. You get kicked out only if you fail classes.

Same as almost every other dental school.

I will give you one guess as to what kind of people are in the bottom-most segment of a class at ANY dental school. (hint: people who FAIL.) Obvious, isn't it? :laugh:

Don't want to get cut? Then don't fail any classes!

do not go to NYU.....my sister went their...heard horror stories...the worst school...go anywhere else if you got in, would even reccommend taking a year off and applying elsewhere

:eek: :eek:
ohsally said:
do not go to NYU.....my sister went their...heard horror stories...the worst school...go anywhere else if you got in, would even reccommend taking a year off and applying elsewhere

please be more specific.i'am gonna be starting NYU this fall

Members don't see this ad :)
its a very poor atmosphere (too many students) with very little attention from professors outside of class..not student friendly at all. they accept about 300 students, fail about 70 the first year, in order to accompany the 110 AP students admitted in the second year..and fail out about 20 or so more that year. The resources for studying suck.....theres a cd-rom instead of textbooks....and the class is vvery competitve..most students have the answers/tests ahead of time while others do not...altering the curve...the courses are not fair evaluation of amount of time put in studying but rather who has the resources (tests) ahead of time. also very business oriented (like everywhere else) but too much so, does not feel like a professional environment....

do you mean students have past exams for the classes? or do you mean the exact test that will be given?
because i know that if any students want past exams they can just ask prior students. I've always done that. that's not particular to NYUCD.

Sorry, I know there is the housing thread. But I thought this might be easier for some people.

St.Mark's+1st ave. 2 real br/1 bath apt share. avail sept 1st

Large room with window,closet, and storage space. 2nd floor walk up. marble bath. new kitchen. wood floors. winged bedrooms. $1350+1/2 utilities. (I know, but I had to put down 11k yesterday. will be reduced to after 1 yr)

e-mail me at [email protected] for pics if even slightly interested b/c the apt is nice and the location is unbeatable.

to NYUCD: bus goes straight up 1st ave, 17 min walk, can ride bike up FDR

about me: NYUCD 2008. 26/f. thai. I enjoy art, film, good food, music, fashion, cooking, travelling, among other things. I like the bathroom and kitchen to be clean, but I am not obsessive about it.

about you: I would like you to feel that the apt is your home and comfortable. If your lifestyle does not include smoking or large animals, it should be fine and we should get along lovely.

How long does it take for NYU to send secondaries?

DDS2BE said:
How long does it take for NYU to send secondaries?

You fill out your secondary at the interview. :)

ohsally said:
its a very poor atmosphere (too many students) with very little attention from professors outside of class..not student friendly at all. they accept about 300 students, fail about 70 the first year, in order to accompany the 110 AP students admitted in the second year..and fail out about 20 or so more that year. The resources for studying suck.....theres a cd-rom instead of textbooks....and the class is vvery competitve..most students have the answers/tests ahead of time while others do not...altering the curve...the courses are not fair evaluation of amount of time put in studying but rather who has the resources (tests) ahead of time. also very business oriented (like everywhere else) but too much so, does not feel like a professional environment....

Oh Sally, you just may be the most ignorant person to post on the entire website despite the fact that you have "insider information" from your sister. What would u rather do, have all of the answers ahead of time and not a learn a damn thing and pass, or study ur ass off and learn a thing or two and pass. When it comes time to take ur board exams, who is going to be better prepared, the person who never learned a thing and memorized answers sequentially for exams, or the person who studied and studied and learned lots of information? My guess is (and the guess of every person who posts intelligently on sdn) that the ones who studied will be better off in the end. This is what u plan on doing for the rest of your life so I would suggest that you learn something and study hard so that ur not barred from practicing by the time ur 30. Are u kidding me with the "dropping" 70 students thing u said? No school just arbitrarily drops a certain amount of students. That could be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. U want to be dropped, fail classes. U want to stay in, study and study hard. Thats the bottom line. Just as with most everything in life, you will get out of this what u put in. Sure the large class size may detract from many applicants' overall decision, however, there are many advantages to having a large class size. For one thing, you have the opportunity to build a huge network from the start, one that can only expand as the years progress. NYU has mentorship programs that split you up into groups of 7 or 8 students to one professor. If you want to take advantage of this you can. If you dont want to, dont blast the school for not having student-teacher interaction because you didnt "like", take advantage of, or take part in your program. In the end the fact of the matter remains: Dental school, as with anything else, is not easy no matter where u go. If you are telling people to base their enrollment decision on which school is easier, you dont belong there in the first place. You lack motivation, desire, heart, and integrity, four qualities a thorough dental practitioner should and will possess. I do not know your sister and I dont know you, but I do know one thing: Dont post nonsense on a site whose aim is to help people with quality, useful information, even if you claim to have a "credible" source. Blast me if you want, but I think more will agree with what I have to say then with what you are "desperately trying" to say.

Why are people complaining about NYU, don't get that. I agree with cheeks, 100%. Dental school is what you get out of it. Like many things in this world, the amount of work you put in=amount of reward you get. Those students who complain about not getting enough professor interaction, is obviously not trying. If anything, it should be the professor's complaining about students not coming to them when they need help.

I just got the brochuer book from NYU, it looks good. I am so glad that I decided to apply to that school this year.

Not to mention its freakin NYU city!!! who can complain. :thumbup:

HD.

yeah way to go Cheeks. I've had it with people making threats by saying how NYU drops students like hot potato! Only those who want to slack off say that kinda stuff. Think about all the money you have to put in...I'd rather study hard and do my money's worth!

Talking about money, where did you guys set up your bank accounts? Can anyone recommend a bank in NYC that offers student account (i.e. low service fees)? I am thinking about Citibank but not many people like it...

My sister has been using Chase Manhattan ever since she started NYUCD in 1996. The terms are pretty good there from what I hear from her.

HTH!

Ive been here for a year now and I have been using HSBC. I went to about 4 different banks and all of them pretty much told me either you maintain a $4000-$5000 balance or we wont offer you an account?? So finally I went to HSBC which is literally 1 block from my apartment and they had a student account with low maintenance and no minimum balances. You can check it out on their website:

http://www.us.hsbc.com/personal/checking/default.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks UBTom and Cheeks1038.
I did some comparison work and it does look like HSBC offers a good value.
I love no minimum balances! :love:

Would you guys happen to know when NYU starts sending out interview invitations? Office of Admissions number is always busy :(

skim23 said:
Thanks UBTom and Cheeks1038.
I did some comparison work and it does look like HSBC offers a good value.
I love no minimum balances! :love:

No Problem Skim,

You shouldnt have any trouble finding a branch close to you, they are everywhere. I use either the one on 14th street and 8th ave. or 14th and 6th ave.

Congrats on your acceptances. It's been awhile since I've been on here at SDN. I'm a 3rd year at NYU. Let me tell you, it's gonna be a tough 2 years for you guys, but it's all worth it. Clinics are way better than the stress of the books.

I have to honestly say that there was a lot of drama here w/ the administration vs. the students, but I can truthfully say that NYU does not attempt to boot students out.

I can first hand tell you what's goin on in the school and why I think this is the case. I won't do it now b/c it's 2am and I have patients tomorrow. lol.

Anyways, good to see some old names. UBTom, Broc, good to see you guys still contributing. Congrats to the incoming class! Live it up in NY. Time goes fast....

btw, to that poster from chicago: thank god nyu accepted another chicagoan! you from naperville by chance?

Welcome back, Pi__Guy!

Hope your 2nd year passed well-- You must have started clinic and rotations, yes?

20 days till NYUCD Orientation...what are you guys doing till then?

Beach....................and beach

Work ..........................................and work. i can't wait for school to start :D

Pi__Guy1 said:
btw, to that poster from chicago: thank god nyu accepted another chicagoan! you from naperville by chance?

me??? :)
Nice to meet you Pi__Guy. I am from Northbrook.
Not many chicagoans in school? :scared:

skim23 said:
me??? :)
Nice to meet you Pi__Guy. I am from Northbrook.
Not many chicagoans in school? :scared:

not many at all. 3 in my year including me...and both of them didnt' make it past first year. BUT, i just met a 4th year in my clinic from orland park.

UBTom: yup, we started clinic back in May of our 2nd year. I have 14 patients...but most are recall patients. I think we get a lot more in September when NYU does its annual "free screening" clinics. I know most of the 4th years here have more than 40 patients. How's working life? You mind if I email you some questions?

hi guys,
does anyone know what the dress code is at nyu? for instance, are jeans/sneakers prohibited in class? (did a search on this but couldn't seem to find anything) also, are you guys going to bring a desktop computer as backup in case your laptop ever has a problem and needs repair? thanks!

Hey everyone!!

SO excited to meet all of you in a couple of weeks! As for me... I'm gonna enjoy the rest of the summer. Kick back... relax... have mom do the laundry until I have to do my own... you know what i mean? LOL

Anybody else assigned to the 26th St. Apts? Just curious to who my neighbors are going to be...

For more personal communications... you guys can email me at [email protected] . I'd love to get to know some people before school starts... and since there's going to be over 200 of us, it doesn't hurt to start early!

Alright... so hang in there and we'll all count down the days until orientation together!

Melissa

Lila08 said:
hi guys,
does anyone know what the dress code is at nyu? for instance, are jeans/sneakers prohibited in class? (did a search on this but couldn't seem to find anything) also, are you guys going to bring a desktop computer as backup in case your laptop ever has a problem and needs repair? thanks!

I hope there's no strict dress code. As far as bringing a desktop computer as backup, I agree that it's a good idea. Besides, I need something large and powerful to play Madden 2005 on! :) :thumbup:

Lila08 said:
hi guys,

When i went for my interview I saw students wearing soccer/basketball jerseys, so it seemed pretty casual. As for computer, I think my laptop will suffice.

When i went for my interview I saw students wearing soccer/basketball jerseys, so it seemed pretty casual. As for computer, I think my laptop will suffice.

I heard you can't wear jeans and sneakers at the simulation labs, that's about it, you can wear anything during lecture though. does anyone know what we are going to be doing at orientation week?

As of tomorrow, exactly 2 weeks till orientation. I think we will have to do a group project, meet other students, get student card, etc.

EHA DDS said:
As of tomorrow, exactly 2 weeks till orientation. I think we will have to do a group project, meet other students, get student card, etc.

I think i am going to skip orientation week and go to the conan o'brien show, wanna come?

metsrus said:
I think i am going to skip orientation week and go to the conan o'brien show, wanna come?

Or better yet the Jersey Shore or some beach in Long Island....

What time is our orientation on the 23rd?

Is it possible to skip orientation? I still have lots of things to take care of and I don't think I'll be ready for school by the 23rd.

I read in another thread that orientation is required. There's actually a class that we have to attend during orientation and we get credit for it. Unless you want to fail what will be the easiest class in any of the 4 years, I'd suggest anyone to play it safe and attend.

Hey, does anyone know if we will need a scientific calculator for any of our classes? I was thinking about selling mine if I don't need it for school...

aah_289 said:
I read in another thread that orientation is required. There's actually a class that we have to attend during orientation and we get credit for it. Unless you want to fail what will be the easiest class in any of the 4 years, I'd suggest anyone to play it safe and attend.

I think i'll pass on the white coat ceremony, what's the point of the ceremony when we haven't accomplish anything yet?