Who's going to NYU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Skip the white coat ceremony...no way, i am gonna be there...

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: did you guys all get your I-24 thing or visa?

Members don't see this ad.

metsrus said:
I think i'll pass on the white coat ceremony, what's the point of the ceremony when we haven't accomplish anything yet?

Just wanted to also point out that in one of our letters, it said that we are NOT permitted to bring guests to the ceremony because of space.

This leads me to two thoughts:
1. THAT SUCKS!
2. NOT ENOUGH SPACE?! Geez... How many students are they enrolling this year?!

Well, with that said, I'll still be there... for the sake of the experience.

and just curious metsrus... don't you think getting into dental school is an accomplishment??

I think going to the white coat ceremony might be a worthwhile experience.

How should we dress for the orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
speter33 said:
I think going to the white coat ceremony might be a worthwhile experience.

How should we dress for the orientation?

I'm thinking of showing up in the finest of my T-shirts and the newest of my jeans. j/k.

I think we need to dress semi-professionally. Just look nice but no jeans & t-shirts, from my understanding.

On one of the previous (numerous) welcome letters we received, I believe it said "business attire required" for the white coat ceremony. Although I don't intend to wear a suit in the middle of (an east coast) August :eek: , I plan on wearing a nice skirt and top and some kick ass pumps... hehe...

as for our male counterparts... I guess a shirt, tie and slacks will do...

unless you want to wear a suit. ( so to those who do, good luck! :D )

and just an off topic question... Is everyone satisfied with their housing assignments??

GLxY88 said:
and just curious metsrus... don't you think getting into dental school is an accomplishment??

no i don't think it's an accomplishment, not a huge one anyway. Getting in is the easy part, getting out on your own terms...now that will be a true accomplishment. But don't let me bring all of you down. Can't wait to meet many of you.

IMO it sets the mood for your dental education. Introduces you to the school as a whole and let's you taste what awaits you. A brief tease or a a first bite off the apple.....

I think getting into dentistry is a great accomplishment. A very small perecent of the population are professionals, much less medical professionals.
Even just finishing our ndergrad is an accomplishment. i worked too hard to get into dentistry to undervalue it.

Are all of you in Manhattan yet? Do we register for class during Orientation week?

Mestrus: You should have already registered for classes via Torchtone, nearly a month ago if Im not mistaken. Thats how I did mine anyways.

I'm in Raleigh, NC as of right now, but I will be getting into the city on the 22nd. I registered through the automated service. I wouldn't sweat it if you haven't. They will clear up a lot during orientation. I hope to meet up with a lot of you in the lobby of 26th, but who knows............MAZ

What are your names anyway? So I can say "hey I spoke to that kid over the internet" when I see you. I am Tom Ly, btw.

metsrus said:
Are all of you in Manhattan yet? Do we register for class during Orientation week?

Nope still in Houston. I leave for NY on Tuesday 17th :D .

I Hope to meet all of you guys at 26th street lobby on sunday untill then everyone have a safe trip to NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Hope everyones preparations are coming along alright for the big move. Mine are just about done, Im gonna be coming down to the city on the 18th.

When and where are we meeting?? I knew that plans were brewing but not that they were finalized. Lemme know time and place and Ill be there.

My name is Vishal btw.

Hello all, my name is Soojin. I came to NYC Tuesday (I know, why did I get here so early!?) and am moving into an apartment in Brooklyn tomorrow. I really wanted to get into one of those dorms but by the time I realized it was too late. So... the place is in Brooklyn, close to Pratt (the art school) so it's pretty nice. Also a block away from subway line G. I will have to transfer once (to line L) to get to the school, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
I like NYC so far. I went to undergrad in the middle of cornfield, so I can't complain! :D but the weather's not that enjoyable thesedays...
Email me! [email protected]

skim23 said:
Hello all, my name is Soojin. I came to NYC Tuesday (I know, why did I get here so early!?) and am moving into an apartment in Brooklyn tomorrow. I really wanted to get into one of those dorms but by the time I realized it was too late. So... the place is in Brooklyn, close to Pratt (the art school) so it's pretty nice. Also a block away from subway line G. I will have to transfer once (to line L) to get to the school, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
I like NYC so far. I went to undergrad in the middle of cornfield, so I can't complain! :D but the weather's not that enjoyable thesedays...
Email me! [email protected]
Not a bad idea, you'll save lots of money living in brooklyn. But the commute is gonna suck. When the weather gets better take the train to Brighton beach and enjoy yourself

I'd estimate the commute at around one hour... About 40 minutes taking the G and L trains (these two trains are not very frequent by NYCTA standards-- Usually a 5-10 minute wait), then taking the 1st-avenue bus or run 1/2 mile from 14th Street to 24th street.

It's doable, yep... Just manage your time wisely and the commute should not impact your studies.

HTH!

Does anyone know what we need to bring to the orientation next monday? Should we bring a labtop, immunization records............. i dunno.

speter33 said:
Does anyone know what we need to bring to the orientation next monday? Should we bring a labtop, immunization records............. i dunno.

yeah immunization records...don't know about laptop...enjoy your last few days of freedom...bwahhahahaha

Immunization records...why...we sent all those things for our medical compliance. I sent copies to them already.

UBTom said:
I'd estimate the commute at around one hour... About 40 minutes taking the G and L trains (these two trains are not very frequent by NYCTA standards-- Usually a 5-10 minute wait), then taking the 1st-avenue bus or run 1/2 mile from 14th Street to 24th street.

It's doable, yep... Just manage your time wisely and the commute should not impact your studies.

HTH!

I did a practice run yesterday...and it actually took me 35 minutes. And I was walking from 14th to 24th! (I don't think I will take bus in the rush hour)
Not too bad :)
and thanks for the tip, Speter 33. I should have gone to the beach today. It was so hot...

Hey Skim,

It's probably a good idea to budget yourself some extra time. You wouldn't believe how your train is always pulling out of the station just as you are running to the platform-- It's almost like the conductors are doing it on purpose: "Tom's coming! Quick, close the doors and get the train going!" :laugh:

Now you know why I moved to Buffalo for dental school-- As much as I love NYC, 7 years of commuting in the subway is enough. :D

2 more days tillorientation!!
Is anyone else nervous too? or am I the only one????????????? :scared: :scared:

Impmail101 said:
2 more days tillorientation!!
Is anyone else nervous too? or am I the only one????????????? :scared: :scared:

I am not nervous...orientation is isn't the hard part. I am coming to NYC tomorrow...here comes the culture shock.

Where exactly are we all supposed to meet for orientation? Is it outside the school building? Someplace else? And is it really necessary to wear a tie and dress shirt? Its going to be hotter than hell out there.

On 25th street between 1st/2nd Avenues in a big tent. I am gonna wear slacks and a shirt.

EHA DDS said:
On 25th street between 1st/2nd Avenues in a big tent. I am gonna wear slacks and a shirt.

oh we aren't meeting on 23rd street? what time again?

I am wicked nervous....my living room is chock full of junk and I still have SO much left to pack....see you all on monday! :D

EHA DDS said:

How are we all going to fit in that tent? and can we roast marshmello?

9 AM...Lila at least you had a few days...I am moving in a day before orientation :eek:

So, no one is talking about orientation...I liked all the free stuff today.

hey eha dds:

So how large is your class? I will oblige your request, how was the orientation? Is it the whole week? What are your impressions so far??

lake04 said:
hey eha dds:

So how large is your class? I will oblige your request, how was the orientation? Is it the whole week? What are your impressions so far??

Our class is something like 240 students...massive, eh? But it's cool, meeting lots of people and doesn't get boring. Orientation is a week and is still going on. We got our equipment today and there were over 100 items, but they are so cool! We go on a boat cruise around NYC tomorrow which should be fun. Next week we start a technology class.

What about you? Are you in dental school?