Who's happier, MSWs or PsyDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of the previous posters seem to be unaware of the difference between MSW and it's clinical license, the LCSW. MSW and LCSW have different scopes of practice. One is allowed to provide therapy and one is not. They are not synonymous.

In my state the pay also vastly differs between the two. The LCSW is the level at which individuals are directors and supervisors and typically earns greater pay. To be in child protective services one need not be licensed, just have an MSW. To bill as a provider, you have to have the LCSW.

It may be confusing, but MSWs fill lots of roles, not all clinical. I just feel like if we are comparing clinical scope to clinical scope you should make sure and compare PsyD to LCSW not MSW.

*edited to add that depending on the state, the LCSW is a considerable additional time and money investment after getting the MSW.
Good point. By that logic though, you should compare LCSW and LP, since there are also post-graduation requirements by state.

If you solely focus on clinical licensure though, you lose the nuances of other opportunities that are out there. I know social workers in academia and consultation roles that have nothing to do with clinical practice, so it seems warranted to me to consider the full range of opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

Very good questions to consider. I also would argue that a lot of the "doctorate" opportunities available for psychologists are also available for social workers who choose to get their doctorates.

They don't gain more clinical clout because the licensing remains the same, but that opens doors for them academically and administratively.

I like your attitude about taking on a few things. That is what I do (Academic gig, PP, Consultation). The most lucrative work I do (in terms of hourly take-home) is actually consultation, where I get paid over $300 per hour to do workshops on a regular basis. Never would have guessed that in grad school, so an open mind about dividing your time could mean a thicker wallet too.

Who do you do workshops with? And what kind of stuff do you do?

Also, I'm curious to ask how many hours a week you usually end up putting in, all told.

Last edited:
Some of the previous posters seem to be unaware of the difference between MSW and it's clinical license, the LCSW. MSW and LCSW have different scopes of practice. One is allowed to provide therapy and one is not. They are not synonymous.

In my state the pay also vastly differs between the two. The LCSW is the level at which individuals are directors and supervisors and typically earns greater pay. To be in child protective services one need not be licensed, just have an MSW. To bill as a provider, you have to have the LCSW.

It may be confusing, but MSWs fill lots of roles, not all clinical. I just feel like if we are comparing clinical scope to clinical scope you should make sure and compare PsyD to LCSW not MSW.

*edited to add that depending on the state, the LCSW is a considerable additional time and money investment after getting the MSW.

Oh yeah, I know. The licensure is just called things in different states (Some people call it LICSW, etc.) so I think I just reverted to MSW to keep it simple under the assumption that if we're comparing PsyD to MSW then we're probably just talking about clinical work.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Very good questions to consider. I also would argue that a lot of the "doctorate" opportunities available for psychologists are also available for social workers who choose to get their doctorates.

They don't gain more clinical clout because the licensing remains the same, but that opens doors for them academically and administratively.

I like your attitude about taking on a few things. That is what I do (Academic gig, PP, Consultation). The most lucrative work I do (in terms of hourly take-home) is actually consultation, where I get paid over $300 per hour to do workshops on a regular basis. Never would have guessed that in grad school, so an open mind about dividing your time could mean a thicker wallet too.

That's a recurring theme I've heard from a variety of practitioners, so you certainly aren't alone there, Pragma. Consultation and various types of forensic work (e.g., forensic evals, IMEs, etc.) seem to be two of the more lucrative types of opportunities out there if you can carve out a few relationships and develop a market for your services.

That's a recurring theme I've heard from a variety of practitioners, so you certainly aren't alone there, Pragma. Consultation and various types of forensic work (e.g., forensic evals, IMEs, etc.) seem to be two of the more lucrative types of opportunities out there if you can carve out a few relationships and develop a market for your services.

This. And again I say, OP you have to determine what would be best for your situation and how you want to live in life.

This. And again I say, OP you have to determine what would be best for your situation and how you want to live in life.
Ultimately both happiness and financial security/success are not related to the degree or field, but rather to motivation, persistence, creativity and interpersonal skills I think. Seems to me like the OP should think about how long does he want to be in graduate school full time and where does he want to be located geographically and what debt load is he willing to accrue. And then take it from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Who do you do workshops with? And what kind of stuff do you do?

Also, I'm curious to ask how many hours a week you usually end up putting in, all told.
I happened upon some good opportunities doing CE workshops based on consistent networking over the years, and it turned into a steady income supplement, although they only happen a few times per year.

I work 50-60 hours per week when I am doing more outside stuff. More like 40 otherwise, but as an academic, you get a fair amount of say about when you work. I do a fair amount at home.