Who's this guy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGloaming

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read this randomly at http://www.mcatprep.net/prof.html. You'll have to guess what his/her EC's were.

I am white with 3.55 gpa/3.5 sci
Small liberal arts college, not well known.
MCAT 10v 9p 9b and was a biology major.
I applied to 30 schools!! interviewd at 22. accepted to 12 of these!! Harvard, Columbia, John Hopkins, Cornell, were the top schools I was accepted to. Also, I am a CA resident but was only accepted to UCD and USC in CA. I was so shocked at my results that I have asked admissions committee why they accepted me. Their answer: I acted human and they could see I was genuine and I had faults and talents. They were also comfortable being around me, and thought I was a nice person. My advice: aim for interviews, then be yourself... If you are a truly nice and REAL person then you have a good chance to get in.... GOOD LUCK!
p.s. I am going to Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Statistically an outlier, but not outside the realm of possibility. I mean, don't expect to experience the same results, but it could happen to a few people each cycle.

I can't believe this!!! I don't even have interviews at lesser school with higher stats. I mean Barack Obama wrote me a letter of rec when I was his intern last year in the white house. I even advised him on health care reform, and I personally drafted many of his speeches pertaining to healthcare. I also developed a cure for HIV that I told med schools I would release if they accepted me -- it was in a house that I converted from a meth lab to a science lab. I also use the lab as a rehab center where I teach former addicts to become world class scientists. AND I volunteer at my local hospital.

Crazy this kid got in for being a "REAL" person!

aim for interviews

22 interviews with a 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA? Including ivy leagues? I don't really buy it- he would <<10th percentile for a lot of top schools and most likely not offered an interview.. but to get 22 of them? Unless there are some truly amazing EC's involved, I just don't see that happening.

Maybe donated $1 mill to each school. Some people can do that ya know

Jolt had pretty similar results: http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?view=viewprofile&id=16779

Like serenade said, an outlier but not impossible.

Yeah, except that person had a 31 MCAT and is a URM + Dartmouth graduate. Also, his EC's are through the roof- frat president and winner of greek president of the year at that, founded NAACP chapter and pre-health society @ Darmouth, 5 years of research with 3 publications.. pretty outstanding.

pretty big difference from a white guy from a small liberal arts school and a 28 MCAT... but then again we don't know his EC's.

False: The internet police verify all content on the internet.

funnypic03.jpg

This thread has potential... :corny:

maybe this person is absolutely adorable? don't hate.

maybe this person is absolutely adorable? don't hate.

Not a hata, just don't really believe it. 22/30 for getting an interview is an insanely good ratio.. and isn't getting an interview invite mostly based on the numbers?

If anything the dude is much worse at interviewing cause he was only 12/22 in that phase. That part is a little more believable.

In the end, whether it is real or not we will never know. And we don't know anything about his EC's or personal statement so... Whateva!

Yeah, except that person had a 31 MCAT and is a URM + Dartmouth graduate. Also, his EC's are through the roof- frat president and winner of greek president of the year at that, founded NAACP chapter and pre-health society @ Darmouth, 5 years of research with 3 publications.. pretty outstanding.

pretty big difference from a white guy from a small liberal arts school and a 28 MCAT... but then again we don't know his EC's.
The 3.46 GPA weighs pretty heavily in there though. That was my point was that stats aren't everything.

I can't even imagine having 22 interview invites...He'd have to take loans out just to get every where to interview...
Either way, the guy in the story is probably full of it...

edit: just realized this story came from an MCAT prep website.... Duh...

Trolololol.

Besides the obvious problems with this story, as others have alluded to, I've never heard of anybody attending anywhere near 22 interviews. I've seen several people start politely withdrawing their applications after somewhere around half that number of invites, due to issues concerning money, time and travel fatigue.

Edit: BTW, where is "John Hopkins"? Is that in Batimore? :p

Dubious.

But "be genuine" is good advice, if you are indeed a nice person. I have a strong (if unfounded) belief that adcoms can see through fakers. Why else would 9% of 3.8+ 38+ applicants not receive a single acceptance?

God, let's hope that's the reason.