Whose Done An SMP or Post-Bacc and Gotten A Med School Acceptance?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by IWant2BeADoctor, Apr 5, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Any success stories out there? I know quite a few of you have...:D If so what SMP or Post-Bacc and how well did you do? Feel free to share your stats that got you in as well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imrep1972

imrep1972 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This has been discussed a few times, if you don't get many results, you may want to try a search of old threads.

Fwiw, I did a post-bacc and an SMP. My post-bacc was an informal one at a local state school, and my SMP was at Georgetown. I had applied twice to med school before the round where I finally got accepted. The first two times, I didn't get so much as an interview, the third time (during the SMP year) I got six interviews and three acceptances, including at Gtown SOM, where I am now.

4. blee

blee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, definitely lots of these stories in the archives, including mine. I graduated from a great school with a poor GPA, worked several years before deciding to change careers, did an undergrad post-bacc program at which I did exceptionally well and scored well on the MCAT. 5 interviews and 5 acceptances. A friend of mine went through the same post-bacc program, didn't take the application process quite so seriously, ended up as an SMP student this year. He'll find out soon, but I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't get in this year.

5. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I graduated with a sub-3.0 GPA. Did an SMP-like program and got into medical school the next year. I am finishing up my first year.