Whose Done An SMP or Post-Bacc and Gotten A Med School Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any success stories out there? I know quite a few of you have...:D If so what SMP or Post-Bacc and how well did you do? Feel free to share your stats that got you in as well.

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed a few times, if you don't get many results, you may want to try a search of old threads.

Fwiw, I did a post-bacc and an SMP. My post-bacc was an informal one at a local state school, and my SMP was at Georgetown. I had applied twice to med school before the round where I finally got accepted. The first two times, I didn't get so much as an interview, the third time (during the SMP year) I got six interviews and three acceptances, including at Gtown SOM, where I am now.

Any success stories out there? I know quite a few of you have...:D If so what SMP or Post-Bacc and how well did you do? Feel free to share your stats that got you in as well.

Yeah, definitely lots of these stories in the archives, including mine. I graduated from a great school with a poor GPA, worked several years before deciding to change careers, did an undergrad post-bacc program at which I did exceptionally well and scored well on the MCAT. 5 interviews and 5 acceptances. A friend of mine went through the same post-bacc program, didn't take the application process quite so seriously, ended up as an SMP student this year. He'll find out soon, but I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't get in this year.

I graduated with a sub-3.0 GPA. Did an SMP-like program and got into medical school the next year. I am finishing up my first year.