Whose leg do I have to hump to get an admission around here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTAfoHIRE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking for some advice. I have recently gotten a job in the pharmacy dept of a major NYC hospital that happens to be associated with a medical school. Is there any way I can work this to my advantage if I choose to apply to this medical school? Im not talking about bringing coffee and donuts to the admission staff every time Im there, but there must be ways of using this job to develop connections that could potentially be very beneficial in the future. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

His:

janitor.jpg

Hey guys I was looking for some advice. I have recently gotten a job in the pharmacy dept of a major NYC hospital that happens to be associated with a medical school. Is there any way I can work this to my advantage if I choose to apply to this medical school? Im not talking about bringing coffee and donuts to the admission staff every time Im there, but there must be ways of using this job to develop connections that could potentially be very beneficial in the future. Any suggestions?

Plainly said, No. I have had ties to a few medical schools, mainly through working at the school and/or attending a program at the school. Through this, I have realized that it doesnt matter really what ties you have, if you are already a student there, or if you even get amazing letters of rec from professors that teach in the medical school... It will not help you as much as your grades and ECs will. The best thing I did was just ask the director of admissions from the medical school of the graduate school I attended to sit down with me for a bit and discuss what I could do to become a better applicant. She did this, and it helped me a ton. In the end, I was able to write her a letter of interest after not getting an interview invite for several months, and ended up getting an interview out of it.

Working on a medical school campus is not going to help you. Just do well while you are there and get some ECs out of your experiences at the school so you will have something strong to write in your essays when you apply...