Why a doctor and not a nurse/emt/health professional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarpley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a difficult question in the sense that I think you can easily be cornered with it in a interview...where it's stressful already...

how do you guys answer this, what sets doctors apart from other health care professionals?

Members don't see this ad.

they get more chicks

#1 for me is autonomy. I like having all the skills and tools at my disposal and the freedom to choose what's appropriate, rather than being limited by my scope of practice and knowledge.

It was INCREDIBLY frustrating working in the ICU as an EMT and not knowing the answers to fairly simple questions that patients and their families would ask, nor being able to help in doing much more than cleaning poop and changing bandages.

more responsibility, which in turn can mean more of a person's style of work (believe it or not, some people work better when theyr under more stressful situations)

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think its a difficult question at all.

Nursing, EMS, PT, Pharmacy, whatever...are nothing like being a physician.

Its like asking "Why work at the Olive Garden when you can sell hot dogs on the street?"

what would be your answer to that then?

Ego gratification. What, that doesn't work for you? Well, come up with your own answers then. Good try, though.

I want do be a doctor because:

- I dont want to manage certain aspects of a patient, stabilize them and then turn their care over to someone above me (EMT)

- I dont want to counsel patients on medications but not be able to diagnose and treat (Pharmacy)

- I want to work with more than just the physical and musculoskeletal aspects of patients (PT)

- I want to be able to treat, diagnose and cure...not just manage ADLs and monitor patients wellbeing (Nursing)

I want to be a physician because I feel that I have within me the ability to offer a kind word and a competent mind. I know that I can study hard and learn all that is required so that when someone is before me with abnormal lab values, vital signs and physical symptoms I can put those puzzle pieces together and fix this patient. I want to be a physician because I have a desire to do absolutely everything possible to bring comfort and cure to those who look to me as their doctor. I want to go home at the end of the day and know that I was able to lead a team of medical professionals towards the end goal of fighting disease and maintaining health. Most of all I want to become a physician because there is no other profession that forces you to give all of yourself...mentally, physically and emotionally with the sole purpose of helping others who come to you in their greatest time of need.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually got this question after I mentioned my girlfriend and mother were both nurses.

In my humble opinion, the key to this question is to explain that you know what a doctor does vs. a nurse, and make it clear you have the passion for one vs. the other without bashing nursing or EMT or whatever. Basically state that like, compassion and caring are important and everyday management, but your passion is for truely understanding disease process and treatments. You'd be more valuable making decisions as to treatment rather than implementing someone elses.

If an interviewer asked me such a stupid question as to why I'd rather be a doctor than an EMT, I'd flat out tell him it's because 9.50/hour makes it really ****ing hard to pay the bills, let alone eat.

Jesus that's such a stupid question, please tell me they don't specifically ask "why not an EMT?"

When it comes down to it, the doctor does the mental work of healthcare. If you enjoy putting your brain to good use, then be a doctor. Nursing is a completely different job, it's more like a skilled trade.

It's a bad question, to ask "why not other health professions?" I think it's just to see if you actually know what a doctor does.

If an interviewer asked me such a stupid question as to why I'd rather be a doctor than an EMT, I'd flat out tell him it's because 9.50/hour makes it really ****ing hard to pay the bills, let alone eat.

Jesus that's such a stupid question, please tell me they don't specifically ask "why not an EMT?"

Keep in mind that most people don't know the difference between an EMT and a paramedic.

Medics can easily make over $70K/yr, which is plenty to pay the bills, so "why not a paramedic" would actually be a good question (and one that I got asked often, mostly due to my background).

To quote Dr. Cox...

Chicks, money, power, and chicks.

I would say:

Because I want to be able to understand the human body and what kind of diseases attack us how. I want to be more then just the person who gives you your medicine in the morning. I want to be the person who brings people hope, who truly understand the mening of medicine and I think I have the ability to be that person. I have always wanted to be a Doctor ever since I was a little girl playing doctor with my friends. I never played doll house, or office, or anything. Just Doctor.

ok I need to work on it, specially the English.. Do you guys think I should take night English classes. English is my second language and I don't want to be screwed up because of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My response would be: I want to be a physician because of the freedom and autonomy involved within this career. I don't want to be limited to resources and scope of practice if I were to go into an Allied Health career. The process of diagnosing, identifying possible prognosis, treating whether with medication or other conventional methods and curing is one that only a physician could carry out. Allied Healths only deal with a fraction of these processes. I would basically feel incomplete to a certain extent. Simple. ;)

first of all, whoever said nursing is a skilled trade... you are an idiot and im sure you are offending half the people on this forum. nurses have to take care of business when the doctors arent around (which is often).. in the hierarchy of the hospital yes they cant do much without doctors orders but they are highly educated medical professionals, not plumbers.

anyway.....

I come from a PT background and I think the key to answering this question is to NOT put down or demean the other professions. When I first wrote my PS, and I tried to articulate why MD over PT, without even realizing it I was saying negative things about PT. The prof who edited my essay told me to rewrite it because you dont want ANYTHING negative about the other professions. Sure there are things I don't like, but those things have nothing to do with "why medicine"

I think when answering this question (if you are already in another job like me) then you should take a different angle like : "I think PT/EMT/Nurse is a great and rewarding profession, and it has planted the seed for my true ambition, or it has allowed me the opportunity to see and get a taste for what an MD really does."

Yes, I have mentioned in my essays that I feel "limited in scope of practice" but otherwise I wouldnt say something like skilled trade... even if sometimes its the truth come on every health profession is like that once in a while, nobody likes taking orders but you dont need to tell an adcom that.

I think when answering this question (if you are already in another job like me) then you should take a different angle like : "I think PT/EMT/Nurse is a great and rewarding profession, and it has planted the seed for my true ambition, or it has allowed me the opportunity to see and get a taste for what an MD really does."

This has been my approach as well ;)

opportunity for research, scientific investigation, and development of new treatment protocols should probably be mentioned too if your into that stuff.

first of all, whoever said nursing is a skilled trade... you are an idiot and im sure you are offending half the people on this forum. nurses have to take care of business when the doctors arent around (which is often)..
Nursing is more of a skilled trade. They know the IV equipment, they know where everything is. They give the drugs and monitor the pt's status. They write a flow sheet and care plans. However, they simply do not have the deep medical background of a doctor.

To quote JD, "There's a point where your training kicks in, and you realize you really do know what you're doing."

I find the problem solving aspect of being a doctor appealing. I work in a pharmacy as a tech right now and I see what the pharmacists do. I find it dreadfully boring - there's no challenge. I want a constantly changing environment and I want to be able to use my intellect to help the situation.

Nursing is more of a skilled trade. They know the IV equipment, they know where everything is. They give the drugs and monitor the pt's status. They write a flow sheet and care plans. However, they simply do not have the deep medical background of a doctor.

To quote JD, "There's a point where your training kicks in, and you realize you really do know what you're doing."

You would be surprised at much some nurses and other allied health medical professionals know. Especially the ones who have been at it for awhile. (That opinion come from being around all of these people a lot....esp in the ICU's.)

Nurse: I'm a guy.
Dental: I want respect.
Pharmacy: I don't want to count pills all day long.
EMT/Other: I want money.

Relax, I'm kidding. Or am I? :confused: :eek:

NP can basically do the same things and get paid a lot. there are plenty of nurses that do research, and know a lot more than just "where everything is":(. The credited response should be "autonomy"

After 25 years of nursing, my mom knows plenty about her patient's ailments, has conducted research, and picks up the slack around her ER. She couldn't take the restrictions and the fact that every 25-26 year old fresh out of med school thought they knew how to do simple things better than her, or thought her opinion was worthless. She picked herself up and enrolled in an NP program in Newark.

I want to be a doctor so that I can go to medical conventions and get free pens (clicky-tops only please), notepads, USB flash drives, laser pointers, and nifty devices.

I want to be a doctor so that I can go to medical conventions and get free pens (clicky-tops only please), notepads, USB flash drives, laser pointers, and nifty devices.

And lunch, obviously.

same here...i love FREE JUNK!! :p

and yes the food as someone already mentioned. I actually got a free subway lunch at the hospital because some drug company was showing of some new gel or something..i know it was subway but still....it was free and it got me all excited. lol.

More responsibility and challenges as a doctor.

More pay.

There are a lot of reasons.

Two years ago I was indifferent to NP or PA versus MD, and the deciding factor was the challenge and the more volunteer opportunities I would have as a doctor as opposed to the other. But thats just me.

But people really need to look into both more and figure out their personal reasons. That question can come up in interviews, and you should have an answer - not just for the interviewer but to clarify your motives to yourself. It will help motivate you once you're in.

But sit down and think about your passions and personality and see how that meshes with an MD versus another health profession. Whatever you come up with - thats your answer. Just be honest.

You should probably get over this anger about this question. They're going to ask it - I got it at all 4 interviews I went to (with every interviewer for that matter - so 7 times).

Its more likely to be "Why medicine instead of NP or PA?" Who can make almost as much as a primary care practitioner which is more than enough to pay the bills.

So I suggest you start thinking about your answer if you want to be accepted into medical school. Too many people just like science, want to help people and enjoy studying health of the body. Lots of careers fit that - so you need a damn good reason why you're going to medical school to go a quarter of a milion dollars in debt. And if you don't have a good reason for it - well there are plenty other people vying for your spot.

I would say:

Because I want to be able to understand the human body and what kind of diseases attack us how. I want to be more then just the person who gives you your medicine in the morning. I want to be the person who brings people hope, who truly understand the mening of medicine and I think I have the ability to be that person. I have always wanted to be a Doctor ever since I was a little girl playing doctor with my friends. I never played doll house, or office, or anything. Just Doctor.

ok I need to work on it, specially the English.. Do you guys think I should take night English classes. English is my second language and I don't want to be screwed up because of it.
Be really careful about this answer.

Because I want to be able to understand the human body and what kind of diseases attack us how. - NPs do this, so do PAs and nurses to a point - why MD instead of those?

I want to be more then just the person who gives you your medicine in the morning.

Nurses, NPs and PAs do a hell of a lot more than just this and you will probably piss off a lot of people if you say this.

I have always wanted to be a Doctor ever since I was a little girl playing doctor with my friends. I never played doll house, or office, or anything. Just Doctor.
- I would also drop this. Stuff about what you wanted as a child is rarely useful in convincing your interviewer what you wanted to do. Hell, I played "superstar" all the time but that doesn't mean I still want that or even knew what that means. It sounds a bit juvenile so don't mention it (I'm not trying to be insulting I'm trying to provide useful criticism so you rock the question in yoru interview).

I am applying for an MD because I want to go into academic medicine, focused as much (or more so) on the research than in the actual daily patient care. As far as I know, this isn't something that other health professions do. And before someone asks, "Why not a PhD," I'm actually considering the PhD too (after or along with the MD through the MD/PhD program).

And the reason I'm posting in this thread at all is because I'm curious to see if you guys know of any other job that would allow me to similarly combine research and patient care. I'd be interested in looking into other options.

This is super easy. Doctors can potentially make the biggest impact, especially if someone is skilled. Why would you go into a profession that doesn't make use of your skills in the most maximal way possible?

thats true too in certain instances, but arnt EMT's the ones on the front lines trying to minimize any further damage, stabilize. Im sure their actions are the biggest possbile impact too? EMTs, please tell us more! Ofcourse then you can say firefighters are great, which they are. If it weren't for them, who would have gotten the victims out of burning cars, buildings, etc.

It just seems that you can make any answer seem inadequate in some way...

Because I'd rather be the one making decisions rather than relying on someone else's (nurse, pharmasist) or having to have a doctor supervise me as if I didn't know what I was doing (nurse practitioner, pa) Of course, I'd have to find a different way to word this for an admissions committee, but these are essentially the reasons.

thanks.. this is great advice.:)

Lol... this is so funny, in part because I can totally relate. I absolutely love just about anything free, especially the free stuff they give away on campus. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: haha right. The first week of school is the best because of this! We get lots of free food, all the banks come and have their stands trying to get college kids to spend more $$. I got a free ipod case from Washington mutual! But the career fairs, thats the ultimate orgasm for free junkies :laugh:

I was previously studying to become a nurse. I made the switch for several reasons, but the one that most relates to our topic here is that nursing does have a focus on primary care which is great however the critical thinking that goes into the job intrigues me. I knew I wanted a career being some sort of a scienist. Nurses may do more bedside care but in the end, the physician is the main caregiver, only from a distance.

I was previously studying to become a nurse. I made the switch for several reasons, but the one that most relates to our topic here is that nursing does have a focus on primary care which is great however the critical thinking that goes into the job intrigues me. I knew I wanted a career being some sort of a scienist. Nurses may do more bedside care but in the end, the physician is the main caregiver, only from a distance.

I would not want to be a nurse because they are the ones who inevitably have to do all of the dirty work. Also, I think that my educational potential would be wasted were I to go to nursing school. I would rather be an engineer, architect, or lawyer if I wasn't going to (try to) be a doctor.

I would not want to be a nurse because they are the ones who inevitably have to do all of the dirty work.
Wait - I thought it was med students who did that? :smuggrin:

I'm sure there are ICU nurses who know practically as much as the doctors they are working with. And that is awesome. But for everyone one of those, there are 9 other nurses who are just punching a time card, and this is why nursing is only a quasi-profession with some admittedly very professional sub-specialties.

It's related to experience and education too. Many nurses get 2 year degrees, and these people are not specializing in anything except general ward nursing. You have to understand the difference in this type of education and a BS in nursing. It's just a job to them. The 2 year programs do not teach the conceptual underpinnings of medicine, and they shouldn't need to, the job doesn't require it. It is much more procedural, "on-the-job" type training, and heavy on following guidelines, i.e. "Give drug X for symtpoms A, B and C. Dose for adults is this. Dose for kids is this. Rinse, repeat."

If you ask your average newly graduated nurse with 2 year degree what 5-HT3 vagal inhibition accomplishes, they won't know, but they probably inject people with Zofran every day. If you ask them what ACE inhibition is, they won't know, but probably give lisinopril all the time. More specialized nurses are going to know a lot more, obviously.

As a doctor, you are part of a gigantic array of resources that you use to practice, and no doctor knows everything. However, I would say that doctors consistently are more familiar with the science behind the functioning of the body, because they have to be. While some nurses may be quite knowledgeable, it's just not the same job. It requires less intellect, and it is more menial work. Notice I did not say nurses "are dumber" than doctors. I just said, the job does not REQUIRE the level of intellect needed by a physician. A nurse could be walking around with entire medical volumes memorized....it doesn't change the job description - the work is still more menial with less thinking required. And I like thinking. Of course, it also happens to pay very well, the schooling costs far less than medicine, and you don't have to give up a substantial portion of your life to your career. It's a personal choice, and I'm not going to try and be "politically correct" about it. I just don't like the work and would be unhappy taking orders and not being the one figuring things out for myself, that's why "medicine and not nursing" for me. Don't most of us share this feeling?

Two reasons. First off I consider myself a leader, and I love the feeling you get when you take the time to study something and then later on you have people around you who do not know the answer and then they ask you if you know. I'm a TA and I my favorite part is going to the freshmen in lab and being able to answer any question they throw at me. Great feeling.

Secondly... during the shadowing of a surgeon last summer things got complicated during an aneurysm operation. Something went wrong and the surgeon (40 years old) looked up nervously and said "...nurse can you get Dr [so-and-so] in here...". A minute later the door opens and a young 30 something doctor walks in and asks whats the problem. The surgical nurse explains the complication and without even blinking he explains exactly what's wrong and how to fix it. Under his guidance the surgeon fixed the problem in a few minites and all was well.

To be that one guy that people turn to for answers in life and death situations... I will spend half my life studying to try and be that guy, and I won't regret a minute of it.

To be that one guy that people turn to for answers in life and death situations... I will spend half my life studying to try and be that guy, and I won't regret a minute of it.
I like the way you think. Now that I think about it, I've got a similar drive/motivation in life.

I'm sure there are ICU nurses who know practically as much as the doctors they are working with. And that is awesome. But for everyone one of those, there are 9 other nurses who are just punching a time card, and this is why nursing is only a quasi-profession with some admittedly very professional sub-specialties.

It's related to experience and education too. Many nurses get 2 year degrees, and these people are not specializing in anything except general ward nursing. You have to understand the difference in this type of education and a BS in nursing. It's just a job to them. The 2 year programs do not teach the conceptual underpinnings of medicine, and they shouldn't need to, the job doesn't require it. It is much more procedural, "on-the-job" type training, and heavy on following guidelines, i.e. "Give drug X for symtpoms A, B and C. Dose for adults is this. Dose for kids is this. Rinse, repeat."

If you ask your average newly graduated nurse with 2 year degree what 5-HT3 vagal inhibition accomplishes, they won't know, but they probably inject people with Zofran every day. If you ask them what ACE inhibition is, they won't know, but probably give lisinopril all the time. More specialized nurses are going to know a lot more, obviously.

As a doctor, you are part of a gigantic array of resources that you use to practice, and no doctor knows everything. However, I would say that doctors consistently are more familiar with the science behind the functioning of the body, because they have to be. While some nurses may be quite knowledgeable, it's just not the same job. It requires less intellect, and it is more menial work. Notice I did not say nurses "are dumber" than doctors. I just said, the job does not REQUIRE the level of intellect needed by a physician. A nurse could be walking around with entire medical volumes memorized....it doesn't change the job description - the work is still more menial with less thinking required. And I like thinking. Of course, it also happens to pay very well, the schooling costs far less than medicine, and you don't have to give up a substantial portion of your life to your career. It's a personal choice, and I'm not going to try and be "politically correct" about it. I just don't like the work and would be unhappy taking orders and not being the one figuring things out for myself, that's why "medicine and not nursing" for me. Don't most of us share this feeling?

Maybe you should understand a subject more completely before commenting on it so haughtily, and risk sounding less-than-informed. 1)The only difference between a "2 yr" (which is actually 3.5 years of courses, total) and a 4 yr nursing degree is an extra year or so of management training, and such highly intellectual courses such as "Nursing in Communities" :p. 2) Of course 2yr RN's can specialize in anything they want (only exception MAY be management, although in reality, they do this too). I specialized in Pedi ICU, alongside many BSN-degreed RNs, and even trained further as a transport/flight nurse for critical pedi patients. Making the SAME amount of many as equally trained BSN-RNs. 3) Yes, ADN-RNs are much more ready-trained to enter the work force with skills already learned/mastered, but they ARE taught theory, just like BSN. The ADN nursing students begin clinicals from the start of their program, in addition to didactics, whereas BSN nursing students don't enter into clinicals until their second year, if I remember correctly. Some ADN programs are also much more competeitive and progress at a faster pace. 4) ADN RNs do so much more than your are indicating. As a PICU RN I worked with immense autonomy with my patients. I administered medications, yes, but I also taught residents to place arterial lines, intubated patients who coded in the ICU, and ran codes if they occured on the pedi wards and I was charge nurse on-shift. If it wasn't for the impeccable work and vigilance of the bedside nurses, docs would be screwed, and the physicians with low-inflation egos make no bones about commending our work. My story may be different than the "average" nurse, but we are not all alike (part of my point). 5) What is the point of comparing and menial-izing nurses when every physician is highly aware of their necessity in patient care?

Of course physicians are more highly trained/instructed/skilled than nurses, or any other field in our world (basically), this is what draws us in: seeking the highest challenge possible for ourselves. But to then turn, and in any way demean those with less training but high importance and need in society, is to prove oneself unwise. This world, and our society, functions as harmoniously as it does because of all the different levels of skilled and unskilled, trained and untrained people doing their jobs. I would be pissed if my garbage man decided that he was better than the lawnscape man, and protested his "low skill level". I would also say "WTF" if my financial advisor decided to rag on my accountant regarding his "less thinking required". This is simply a waste of time. We all know just how important each individual is in functioning in society, and if we would acknowledge this we would all be on our way to becoming more compassionate, wise, and erudite physicians.

Maybe you should understand a subject more completely before commenting on it so haughtily, and risk sounding less-than-informed. 1)The only difference between a "2 yr" (which is actually 3.5 years of courses, total) and a 4 yr nursing degree is an extra year or so of management training, and such highly intellectual courses such as "Nursing in Communities" :p. 2) Of course 2yr RN's can specialize in anything they want (only exception MAY be management, although in reality, they do this too). I specialized in Pedi ICU, alongside many BSN-degreed RNs, and even trained further as a transport/flight nurse for critical pedi patients. Making the SAME amount of many as equally trained BSN-RNs. 3) Yes, ADN-RNs are much more ready-trained to enter the work force with skills already learned/mastered, but they ARE taught theory, just like BSN. The ADN nursing students begin clinicals from the start of their program, in addition to didactics, whereas BSN nursing students don't enter into clinicals until their second year, if I remember correctly. Some ADN programs are also much more competeitive and progress at a faster pace. 4) ADN RNs do so much more than your are indicating. As a PICU RN I worked with immense autonomy with my patients. I administered medications, yes, but I also taught residents to place arterial lines, intubated patients who coded in the ICU, and ran codes if they occured on the pedi wards and I was charge nurse on-shift. If it wasn't for the impeccable work and vigilance of the bedside nurses, docs would be screwed, and the physicians with low-inflation egos make no bones about commending our work. My story may be different than the "average" nurse, but we are not all alike (part of my point). 5) What is the point of comparing and menial-izing nurses when every physician is highly aware of their necessity in patient care?

Of course physicians are more highly trained/instructed/skilled than nurses, or any other field in our world (basically), this is what draws us in: seeking the highest challenge possible for ourselves. But to then turn, and in any way demean those with less training but high importance and need in society, is to prove oneself unwise. This world, and our society, functions as harmoniously as it does because of all the different levels of skilled and unskilled, trained and untrained people doing their jobs. I would be pissed if my garbage man decided that he was better than the lawnscape man, and protested his "low skill level". I would also say "WTF" if my financial advisor decided to rag on my accountant regarding his "less thinking required". This is simply a waste of time. We all know just how important each individual is in functioning in society, and if we would acknowledge this we would all be on our way to becoming more compassionate, wise, and erudite physicians.

thats true too in certain instances, but arnt EMT's the ones on the front lines trying to minimize any further damage, stabilize. Im sure their actions are the biggest possbile impact too? EMTs, please tell us more! Ofcourse then you can say firefighters are great, which they are. If it weren't for them, who would have gotten the victims out of burning cars, buildings, etc.

It just seems that you can make any answer seem inadequate in some way...
Medics can make a huge difference.

We EMT-Bs really don't do crap. The biggest intervention we can do is an IV, and that's only if your unit lets you. I wasn't trained to do an IV until I worked in the ICU, and even then I can't even start a bag of saline, I can just start the line.

Looking back on it now, the EMT-B doesn't really do much, other than recognize a few conditions, get a history, and drive to the hospital.

We all know just how important each individual is in functioning in society, and if we would acknowledge this we would all be on our way to becoming more compassionate, wise, and erudite physicians.
Well said :)