Why a doctorate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So can someone tell me what they know on why they decided to change PT from a BS to a Doc?

Can you also share with me what implications that has, from job aspects, to pay rate, to reasons etc?

Why haven't they made OT a doctorate?

Any additional information regarding anything related to the subject is eagerly awaited.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So can someone tell me what they know on why they decided to change PT from a BS to a Doc?

Can you also share with me what implications that has, from job aspects, to pay rate, to reasons etc?

Why haven't they made OT a doctorate?

Any additional information regarding anything related to the subject is eagerly awaited.

Thanks

Why else? $$. Higher degree means leverage to lobby for higher reimbursements from insurance companies in the future. Higher degree means schools can charge more for tuition. Higher degree means ego boost for practitioners. Win-Win situation (except for your wallet as a student)

Oddly enough, it won't impact your salary or job prospects in the slightest.

I would check out the APTA's websites to gain more understanding of the state of the profession, and where it is attempting to go. physical therapy hasn't offered a B.S. for quite some time now. There are numerous reasons why the degree has been changed to a doctorate. There are obvious(at least to those who look closely) financial implications regarding reimbursement from Medicare and other payers. It is also a call to augment the education, body of research, and clinical practice of the next generation of PTs. Many are for it, but it has its detractors. I would visit multiple sources including talking to practicing PTs to formulate your own opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to what TheOx777 stated, on APTA's website check out Vision 2020. I am for IT! Direct access is the way to go! Those are significant questions and I beleive ultimately that one should focus on doing everything to the best of their ability. The letters (DPT) in front of a name do not determine SUCCESS, its on how you conduct yourself. (8 CORE values)

Abraham Lincoln once said,
"Whatever you are be a good one. Be yourself, then who else is better qualified?"

The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think - rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.”
Bill Beattie

Just to add, there are several doctoral programs in occupational therapy and I think it is probably safe to say that, just like the DPT, the DOT is eventually going to be the degree offered by all OT programs.