Why are IMGs so bad viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brazilianpsych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this topic may seem like I'm whining, but I'm genuinely curious. As my name says, I was a psychiatrist in Brazil. Met a US woman, we got married. I did some research at the time and found out that around 25% of physicians are IMGs and that there are more residency spots than people graduating, so it seemed to me there was a fair deal there. I also read that psych was one of the less competitive and we both decided to stay in America.

Time flies and I'm applying now. I'm checking programs and a lot of them don't accept IMGs and don't even review those applications, so I do feel a little bit tricked lol

Are the IMGs applications usually bad, and that's why most programs don't look at them? I feel that the answer to most posts asking for advice is "Apply broadly and everything will be fine", and I do think I will match somewhere, but I got curious about the general view about the subject.

What do you guys think? Thank you for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure the answer to your question, perhaps Visa issues plays a role, but its ironic given the push for diversity from academia. Do as I say not as I do?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe language issues for some potentially?

Reactions: 1 user
Does brazil treat american applicants on equal footing?

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed, there are more residency spots than US grads, however, there is not even close to enough residency spots for everyone applying each year when you include US grads and IMGs/FMGs so many people are just not going to match. Psych has historically been pretty IMG friendly due to being on the less competitive side, but that is changing due to recent increase in popularity. There are additional factors to your question, but do not underestimate the importance of numbers numbers numbers.

Does brazil treat american applicants on equal footing?

It's way easier, you have to do one exam to revalidate your M.D. and maybe another one depending on the specialty OR just send paperwork proving that you did a residency. I'm not complaining about redoing residency here, I think the steps are fair since they are required for everyone. Overall it seems a very fair system, and I do think U.S. grads should have a "bonus" when checking a CV, but completely ignoring a mass that represents 25% of the workforce seems weird for me.

Maybe it was easier years ago? Or maybe most of IMGs just end up going to IM or FM, which is also very possible.

It's way easier, you have to do one exam to revalidate your M.D. and maybe another one depending on the specialty OR just send paperwork proving that you did a residency. I'm not complaining about redoing residency here, I think the steps are fair since they are required for everyone. Overall it seems a very fair system, and I do think U.S. grads should have a "bonus" when checking a CV, but completely ignoring a mass that represents 25% of the workforce seems weird for me.

Maybe it was easier years ago? Or maybe most of IMGs just end up going to IM or FM, which is also very possible.
It was easier years ago

It was easier years ago

I think the match rate for IMGs has actually increased a fair amount the last several years, but it is still in the low 60’s. There has been a pretty large increase in residency positions the last 5 years so that has been helpful.

There are subgroups under the category "IMG." You are more properly a Foreign Medical Graduate, or FMG, having been a non-U.S. citizen attending school in his country of origin. Even among FMGs, there is some differentiation or prejudice based on country of origin, supposedly based on educational quality, and especially based how easy it is for you to get a Visa and how fluent you are in English and American culture.

Many IMGs are not FMGs. Many IMGs are students who left their home country to study medicine. This practice is met with more prejudice than some FMGs face, because it is assumed these IMGs were not able to gain admission in their home country due to sub-par academic performance.

Generally, order of difficulty gaining residency goes like this for foreign trained students from best to worst situation:
  1. FMGs without Visa or language issues (i.e.; A Canadian, not an Iranian), who attended an accredited school listed as acceptable/equivalent to a U.S. med school by state medical boards
  2. U.S. Citizen IMGs that attended a foreign school listed as acceptable/equivalent to a U.S. med school by state medical boards
  3. Non-U.S. citizens that attended a school not in their country of origin that is listed as acceptable/equivalent to a U.S. med school by state medical boards, and are fluent in English, and can get a Visa
  4. Everyone else is a long shot.
To answer your question:
It is common to hear people say they would never attend a program with many IMGs and/or FMGs because that is considered a sign of a program that can only match low performing students. This of course is not always true, and there is sometimes a flavor of racism and tribalism about such statements. Basically, how immigrants are often perceived negatively by some.

What first world countries easily accept foreign trainees?

The US residency slots are government funded. Public med schools are government subsidized. By the time I practice medicine, the government has invested $1-2 million plus. If you spend tons of money on medical students, it is certainly silly to not adequately train them. Then you want to take residents that are most likely to stay and treat your own citizens. Add in language barriers, non-uniformity in the world’s med school training, higher step failure rates, and Visa issues.

The US residency slots are government funded. Public med schools are government subsidized. By the time I practice medicine, the government has invested $1-2 million plus. If you spend tons of money on medical students, it is certainly silly to not adequately train them. Then you want to take residents that are most likely to stay and treat your own citizens. Add in language barriers, non-uniformity in the world’s med school training, higher step failure rates, and Visa issues.
I agree with most of your statements, but one caveat I would make is that medical students pay for their education, they aren't getting much for free in the U.S. Residents by contrast are government funded.

One could argue from a economic standpoint that it is rational to let other governments with quality medical training train physicians for our country for free, while our country reaps the benefit of addressing a shortage of physicians. I understand many won't like that idea emotionally.

I agree with most of your statements, but one caveat I would make is that medical students pay for their education, they aren't getting much for free in the U.S. Residents by contrast are government funded.

One could argue from a economic standpoint that it is rational to let other governments with quality medical training train physicians for our country for free, while our country reaps the benefit of addressing a shortage of physicians. I understand many won't like that idea emotionally.

Public medical schools (at least in my state) are heavily funded by the state government, grants, etc. They specifically hope to keep medical students in the state after training. There is no way all of the infrastructure would be supported on my $8k/year tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Public medical schools (at least in my state) are heavily funded by the state government, grants, etc. They specifically hope to keep medical students in the state after training. There is no way all of the infrastructure would be supported on my $8k/year tuition.
Wow, that's cheap! When and where did you go to school? I understand if you don't wish to share. I don't think all schools subsidize students like that. Med school cost me $150k before student loan interest, including living expenses and books with a family. Many single students I speak with these days who attend U.S. med schools recently have $200,000 or more in student loan debt before interest. I doubt their room and board and books run $42k per year.

True, with the additional caveat that American medical students are saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. The whole scam system would crumble if IMGs are treated somewhat better. Still, if I'd advise someone, I'd seriously consider for them to go to medical school in Europe, even if they want to match in the US.

Wow, that's cheap! When and where did you go to school? I understand if you don't wish to share. I don't think all schools subsidize students like that. Med school cost me $150k before student loan interest, including living expenses and books with a family. Many single students I speak with these days who attend U.S. med schools recently have $200,000 or more in student loan debt before interest. I doubt their room and board and books run $42k per year.

I had a friend (technically a parent of my older brother’s friend) who went to the same medical school I attended, and paid $300/year. His last year they decided to triple every year until they got to the national average. He had professors who joked it was the dollar a day medical school.

It was UTHSCSA.

EDITED for clarity.

Last edited:
I had a friend (technically a parent of my older brother’s friend) who went to the same medical school I attended, and paid $300/year. His last year they decided to triple to get to the national average. He had professors who joked it was the dollar a day medical school.

It was UTHSCSA.
Must have been 1960 or something, lol.

• Haha
True, with the additional caveat that American medical students are saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. The whole scam system would crumble if IMGs are treated somewhat better. Still, if I'd advise someone, I'd seriously consider for them to go to medical school in Europe, even if they want to match in the US.
The devil is in the details. Western Europe, yes. Not Eastern Europe. There are also still language and Visa issues that are challenging if you want education in western europe.

I had two U.S. citizen friends who attended med school in Bulgaria before transferring to the school I attended in the Caribbean, and also a friend who attended med school in Ireland and another in the U.K., and another Australia. These schools do not prepare students for the USMLE, of course. Eastern European schools can have a lot of corruption per my friends and sometimes aren't listed as equivalent to U.S. med schools by state licensure boards. The one who had the best experience went to med school in Ireland, though he grew very tired of cloudy weather.

I dont recommend any U.S. citizens go overseas like I did in 2005 anymore. While possible, it is too risky now. Too much risk of not matching even with excellent stats. I now recommend going for the recently more readily available seats in the U.S. or becoming a mid-level if not accepted. Other nationalities still take the risk, like students from India who often are very well qualified but class issues keep them out of med school in India.

Are the IMGs applications usually bad, and that's why most programs don't look at them? I feel that the answer to most posts asking for advice is "Apply broadly and everything will be fine", and I do think I will match somewhere, but I got curious about the general view about the subject.

A lot of this has already been addressed, but some other things to emphasize a bit:
1. Quality of foreign programs is often uncertain. Other than a few very well known schools, many PDs probably have no idea if X university from another country is strong or not. I can honestly say I know zero Brazilian medical schools and would have no idea what their quality is despite knowing a relatively large number of people from Brazil (and S. America in general). Why take the risk on someone with an uncertain background when you know even the weaker candidates from the US should at least be able to meet minimum standards? If an FMG or IMG is accepted but then can't pass Step 3, it's essentially a waste of resources which were already in excess of what would be needed for a US grad.
2. Language barriers are a huge deal, especially in psych where nuances in language can be so important. While I do understand that there can be implications to not taking those who aren't native English speakers, it's also a patient safety concern (even with translators). An example: When I was in med school we were treating a Mexican woman who we believed was psychotic because she kept saying she could hear her "ancestors" (the exact word from multiple translators) in the room above her yelling at her and telling her to do things. A week later her son came to visit and we found out her parents lived in the apartment above her and would yell at her to do chores for them. So a woman who was just moderately depressed got antipsychotics for a week because we thought she was psychotic because of what the translators were telling us. Fortunately there weren't any adverse effects, but it could have been pretty bad.
3. Visas can be a pain, and given the recent political climate I don't think anyone is really sure what the status would be, which can make an already risk-averse group of people even less likely to be willing to take that risk.

I've met some IMGs and FMGs who have been really amazing to work with and exceptional attendings. I've also worked with FMG/IMG residents or med students who legitimately scared me that they would be treating any patient (unfortunately more frequentnly than US grads who I'd worry about treating patients).

It is common to hear people say they would never attend a program with many IMGs and/or FMGs because that is considered a sign of a program that can only match low performing students. This of course is not always true, and there is sometimes a flavor of racism and tribalism about such statements. Basically, how immigrants are often perceived negatively by some.

True, but it's also a case by case basis. I wouldn't want to attend most programs where there were no US grads because it really does say something about the program (if it's not malignant or poor, why wouldn't any US grads be going there?). There are a few exceptions, one in the NE which I can't remember off the top of my head but is clearly a solid program but with a focus on diversity and more of a global aspect. There are also programs where the vast majority of IMGs are coming from the same 1 or 2 schools, which should be a clear red flag. I think it's usually pretty easy to tell which programs with a lot of FMGs (rarely do IMGs land at prestigious programs) are still strong as the foreign individuals are coming from stronger schools and have CVs that make it obvious why they got into a stronger program (per their bios on the residency website).

When I was applying to med school (2013) Hawaii, Texas, and Louisiana all schools with tuition rates less than $15k/year for residents. A few schools were as low as $5k/year for in-state residents with total COA being around $12k/year after grants or stipends. Made me really jealous because the cheapest school in my state for residents was $37k/year in tuition alone (minimum COA was ~$55k/yr with some as high as $70k for in-state residents). Room and board may not be $42k/yr, but some med students just take the max anyway because as a whole doctors are surprisingly financially stupid.

The devil is in the details. Western Europe, yes. Not Eastern Europe. There are also still language and Visa issues that are challenging if you want education in western europe.

I had two U.S. citizen friends who attended med school in Bulgaria before transferring to the school I attended in the Caribbean, and also a friend who attended med school in Ireland and another in the U.K., and another Australia. These schools do not prepare students for the USMLE, of course. Eastern European schools can have a lot of corruption per my friends and sometimes aren't listed as equivalent to U.S. med schools by state licensure boards. The one who had the best experience went to med school in Ireland, though he grew very tired of cloudy weather.

I dont recommend any U.S. citizens go overseas like I did in 2005 anymore. While possible, it is too risky now. Too much risk of not matching even with excellent stats. I now recommend going for the recently more readily available seats in the U.S. or becoming a mid-level if not accepted. Other nationalities still take the risk, like students from India who often are very well qualified but class issues keep them out of med school in India.

Yes, of course, country matters. I disagree though with your recommendation. If you go to a reputable med school and/or a med school in well developed country, you still have an excellent chance of matching. Specialty matters as well obviously. Cloudy weather beats 200k in loans every single time. It's a bit weird, but IMGs have it better in some ways once they get in. Can never understimate what those $$$$$$ in loans can do to you.

Last edited:
Much of this comes down to money. For FMGs, our program has to pay for their Visa among other financial costs associated with having a non-US citizen resident. We have the financial and logistical capacity to rank/accept one FMG in our program safely. We can argue for one more but that's a unwieldy process that deals with reorganizing the departmental budget that involves the chair and CFO.

That isn't to say that IMG/FMGs are any lower quality than US residents. Some of our best residents as well as attendings are FMG/IMG either foreign trained or came here for medical school from abroad. We've ranked amazing residency candidates much lower on our rank list because we had to choose between two outstanding people due to only having one secure spot.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the answers, it really helps me to see the process with a more clear view. I always viewed gettings FMGs as a great source of highly skilled people ready to work, because the U.S seems to have a physician shortage. I know that some other countries are also possible for FMGs, however, most of the time the process is not very clear (you need to know someone that can indicate you, things like that). At the same time, I don't know any other country that has the U.S medical system (shortage of physicians, the most expensive health in the world, although the quality of health seems to be great here).

Anyway, thank you for all the replies!

It was easier years ago
My residency program recently stopped interviewing IMG/FMGs and DOs entirely due to the sheer number of US MD grads. There is a nearby training program that used to be 90%+ IMG when I was applying. There was a clear gradient over the years with more and more American grads (MD and DO), and when I checked the most recent class on their website (the class that started in 2019), it appears to be all US MD grads (including one from a high tier med school), and one DO, no IMGs at all. Curious if the new 2020 class will be like that also.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, of course, country matters. I disagree though with your recommendation. If you go to a reputable med school and/or a med school in well developed country, you still have an excellent chance of matching. Specialty matters as well obviously. Cloudy weather beats 200k in loans every single time. It's a bit weird, but IMGs have it better in some ways once they get in. Can never understimate what those $$$$$$ in loans can do to you.

Not really though. If you look at the most recent charting the outcomes for IMGs/FMGs, the best match rate was for IMGs entering pediatrics at 72% which is pretty terrible imo. For psychiatry the match rate for both IMGs and FMGs was 40% compared to the 89.6% match rate for US MDs and 83.4% for US DOs. You'd have to be a fool to choose to study abroad if you have a seat at a US med school with very, very few exceptions.

It's also not necessarily cheaper, here's a blog post from 2012 where a student at an Irish school ended up with $300k+ in debt and matched into his 3rd choice field (FM). Even going to a private DO school, I ended up with significantly less than that in total debt. https://www.valuemd.com/uk-irish-me...ucd-graduates-experience-atlantic-bridge.html

For info on 2020 match rates, here's the link to the different Charting the Outcomes in 2020: Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Not really though. If you look at the most recent charting the outcomes for IMGs/FMGs, the best match rate was for IMGs entering pediatrics at 72% which is pretty terrible imo. For psychiatry the match rate for both IMGs and FMGs was 40% compared to the 89.6% match rate for US MDs and 83.4% for US DOs. You'd have to be a fool to choose to study abroad if you have a seat at a US med school with very, very few exceptions.

It's also not necessarily cheaper, here's a blog post from 2012 where a student at an Irish school ended up with $300k+ in debt and matched into his 3rd choice field (FM). Even going to a private DO school, I ended up with significantly less than that in total debt. An Irish (UCD) Graduate s Experience with the'Atlantic Bridge' | UK + Irish Medical Schools

For info on 2020 match rates, here's the link to the different Charting the Outcomes in 2020: Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
I haven't been to ValueMD in a long time. I was an original member back when it was still Networks54 forum and later moderated my med school forum there. Many of the forums there have now seemingly dried up due to lack interest, sadly.

Hey everyone

It seems the US has unspoken rules about preference when it comes to IMGs in terms of country of origin. For those who think this is unfair, Australia has written rules backed by law about which IMGs 'have it easier' See link: IMGs They claim USMLE is a pathway on the website, but the catch-22 is you must have done 2 years of ACGME training in the US, effectively limiting that pathway to US board-certified physicians.

From that perspective, the US matching process is really quite 'fair', as in it's up to the PD which candidate to pick, and they aren't limited by law to countries within the anglosphere. Obviously this situation makes me worse off though.

Anyway, I'm applying for the 2022 Match. I'm E-3 visa eligible. Nobody seems to know about this visa, because only Australians can apply for it. I've heard it is arguably the best non-immigrant visa the US offers. It's approval time is immediate (sometimes days), renewable indefinitely and costs nothing for the program sponsoring it. I know people in residency programs who are on this visa.

Will this make me more competitive in any way? How do I let PDs know about it? (I'm assuming most haven't heard of it or otherwise have forgotten it exists).

I have a question that's sort of related to this thread.

I’m a non-US IMG. I know language is big in psychiatry, and non-native speakers are less preferred. I'm not a native speaker, but I can function as a resident during my sub-internships with no language issues. My question is will listing English as Advanced instead of Native/Functionally Native exclude me from getting interviews? like is there a filter for this?
I don't think so. If you speak like you write you are probably functionally native anyway.

My residency program recently stopped interviewing IMG/FMGs and DOs entirely due to the sheer number of US MD grads. There is a nearby training program that used to be 90%+ IMG when I was applying. There was a clear gradient over the years with more and more American grads (MD and DO), and when I checked the most recent class on their website (the class that started in 2019), it appears to be all US MD grads (including one from a high tier med school), and one DO, no IMGs at all. Curious if the new 2020 class will be like that also.
The above is why I am very cautious about suggesting anyone go to school over seas if they want to work in the US. We are opening medical schools at a much higher rate than GME is expanding and if someone started now, they would be looking for training 5 years from now. As domestic grads % unmatched begins to climb, there will be pressure to become even more restrictive. I am supportive of diversity efforts and the good reasons for those efforts, but the outrage that will come down if a significant number of US grads don't find work will be very strong. It is a ways off, but this is moving fast relative to the end of the last century and the next 5 years could match two decades of expansion in the past.

It's also not necessarily cheaper, here's a blog post from 2012 where a student at an Irish school ended up with $300k+ in debt and matched into his 3rd choice field (FM). Even going to a private DO school, I ended up with significantly less than that in total debt. An Irish (UCD) Graduate s Experience with the'Atlantic Bridge' | UK + Irish Medical Schools

This is apples to oranges though. The 40% is out of a majority of applicants who does not have US citizenship/permanent residency, come from the third world from not very known or reputable med schools, English is not their native tongue or from US applicants who ended up going to the Carribean because they couldn't match at a US school. These are essentially the issues with IMG applicants. This would not apply to the cases I'm referring to, where it makes more sense imo to go overseas and still have an excellent chance to match (essentially US applicants going to a reputable med school school in the developed world with very low tuition fees). You're right though about some med school in Ireland hiking up their fees to match US ones. I guess the secret was out or something, but this is still doable, especially if you speak a foreign tongue and can go to places like France, Germany or others.

Anyway, I'm applying for the 2022 Match. I'm E-3 visa eligible. Nobody seems to know about this visa, because only Australians can apply for it. I've heard it is arguably the best non-immigrant visa the US offers. It's approval time is immediate (sometimes days), renewable indefinitely and costs nothing for the program sponsoring it. I know people in residency programs who are on this visa.

Just bumping this because I'm wondering the exact same thing and this never got a reply. Does the request for E-3 sponsorship go on your PS or is there now a better place to put it?

I could only find a couple of resources on it online - some official guidance from Mount Sinai and a random word document from Indiana University.

On
So, this topic may seem like I'm whining, but I'm genuinely curious. As my name says, I was a psychiatrist in Brazil. Met a US woman, we got married. I did some research at the time and found out that around 25% of physicians are IMGs and that there are more residency spots than people graduating, so it seemed to me there was a fair deal there. I also read that psych was one of the less competitive and we both decided to stay in America.

Time flies and I'm applying now. I'm checking programs and a lot of them don't accept IMGs and don't even review those applications, so I do feel a little bit tricked lol

What do you guys think? Thank you for any input!
Yeah, there’s a lot of prejudice. If you have the time and money, try to spend a little while doing research relevant to your field, it will help your application.
Alternatively, you could get trained as a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner and do almost the same thing. I know a lot of IMGs who went that route.

On

Yeah, there’s a lot of prejudice. If you have the time and money, try to spend a little while doing research relevant to your field, it will help your application.
Alternatively, you could get trained as a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner and do almost the same thing. I know a lot of IMGs who went that route.

OP is a resident in the US now. Another one fooled by a necrobump, lol.

I didn't even remember this thread haha. Yes, I am in residency already! Everything worked out. Always had great advice here at SDN by the way.

Reactions: 4 users
Necro thread, but PSA. There is a place on ERAS for need for sponsorship on the face page, and it should be there. You can put it in your PS, but don't put it in the face page that asks that question is not a good move. Be aware that most government sponsored programs can't provide visas. US tax money isn't to be gifted to train non-citizens, and there are rules about spending money to train anyone other than citizens/green card holders.

I learned that "green cards" are now pink, but the meaning will remain a perinate resident and therefore, referred to as someone with a green card. This may be unfair, but it is reality. Also be aware that not indicating such a need will releases programs from the obligation to provide a position even if you match, and this can irritates both sides. Playing the field for interested trainees is much better than it used to be so play your application straight. Most of you will be fine, but sneaking in doesn't work very well.

green cards have been green again for quite some yrs!
Hence the necro thread and my bad. For the record, I think Splik has been an exemplary contributor to this forum and I invite him to keep me on the straight and narrow when ever I need that. Splik has been awesome in terms of his encyclopedic knowledge, but more impressively, in terms of his straight forward wish to be of help and his commitments that are constructive in his posts. I'm not easy to impress, but I'm awed by his contributions on this forum and I have always liked him.

In response to the last concrete content, I admit that I know very little about permanent residence status nor the color of the cards. I lean liberal, but have no insight into the vicissitudes of being able to train in the US legally. I'm aware it isn't easy. "May you live in interesting times" is a Chinese curse. With time, I find myself agreeing with this more and more.

I think most if not all countries will treat their own local graduates with priority consideration over any foreign graduates. I would doubt that this is an exclusively American thing. Additionally, something interesting to note is there are many countries that do not have centralized board exams to pass after medical school in order to practice as a physician. Essentially, you’re a doctor and you can practice as soon as you graduate. Particularly in countries where corruption is a problem and people can cheat or pay to buy exam papers to pass, this can result in some under qualified candidates being able to graduate and practice, since there is no centralized test of your knowledge or capacity to practice medicine after graduation. I can understand that knowing this fact might delegitimize international physicians from some countries in many people’s view. However, if an internationally graduated physician is able to pass the USMLEs and score highly, this should minimize this type of stigma. Then I suppose it might just come down to bias and the general tendency of countries to favor and prioritize opportunities for their own residents rather than others.

I think the subject line speaks volumes. "Why are IMGs so bad viewed?"

Programs want their graduates to speak the language of their patients. So while in the USA that's almost always English, in say Miami it could be they'll favor English and Spanish.

Add to this, and I mentioned this in other threads, most foreign medical schools aren't the same curriculum as US schools, with their training giving someone an MD that could've been the equivalent of someone who just ended second year of MD school if they been in America. Reason why is most non-USA programs don't focus on clinical rotations anywhere close as much as US programs. This is not to attack IMGs cause those same countries often times have longer residency programs to compensate, but getting back to the original point while this makes a fully trained American MD about as good as a fully trained non-USA MD, just the plain MD without residency aren't about the same level of training.
-----
On a different dimension: This several US citizens go to the foreign medical schools because, simply and honestly, that person didn't have the scores to get into a US school.

I am an IMG. I partied hard in college but don't regret it cause I needed to do so to emotionally grow up. Also I went to a college where they pretty failed half of all the of premeds without fairly grading them. I spent my first 2 years in a school where I was fairly graded, found the school too easy, had a 3.8 GPA, and transferred to be in the same college as my best friend (who wasn't premed) where the professors (and I am a former professor and so is my wife, these things do happen) where school had too many premeds for the state medschools and told the premed professors to weed out students by pretty much torpedoing them out of the water.

IF you look at foreign schools filled with US students such as St. George's (where I went), you often times will see medstudents who were in a similar situation as I was in. Good students, would've had above a 3.5 GPA but went to a weed out school often times on California, NY or NJ cause those states have high immigrant populations and for whatever reason immigrant families heavily push their kids to become MDs.

So there's the argument, these people couldn't get into a US school. Well kind of. What do I mean? Many of them would've been able to get into a US school had they not been in California, NY or NJ. Seriously. What really irked me about this was the lack of transparency. If the school is going to eff you cause you're premed then let me know ahead of time so I don't apply to your effing school in the first place. If these effing Deans don't want more premeds just openly say you're sick of having too many premeds and you're going to destroy them so don't come here. Don't put on that effing fake smile and say you're a great school for everybody. Heck I openly say half the psychiatrists out there suck. Why? Cause it's true. I never donate to my alma mater. They can go eff themselves as far as I'm concerned. A buddy of mine wanted, for real to become a top level biologist and he had the unfortunate situation of having to take all of the premed classes even though he wasn't premed cause those are all the same classes for a Bio major. He won a state award as a high school student for being a potential future great biologist and dropped that major after he being in these effing, fail 1/3 of the class, premed classes.

But all in all, in the limited human mind, with our limited ability to judge, and having to make judgments on limited decision, IMGs usually, no matter how good they are, get parsed into the "they're worse" even if their scores are on par or superior with their US graduate counterparts.

By the time you graduate, and practice in a hospital, no one gives a damn about where you went to school. It's all about how good you are on the floor, but the IMG status can hurt your ability to get to that level.

Last edited: