Why are people saying the Gas is a dying field??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in the process of talking to an anesthesiologist about spending some time in the OR with her to really see if I would like Gas. A friend of mine whos father is a Crna, after seeing me talking the Gas doc, asked me why I wanted to go into a field that is dying.

I asked him why he would think that. He told me his father, who is a Crna, has really discouraged him from going into Gas. His dad said that it is a dying field. That it will be increasingly harder to get work with all of the Crna's out there.

My question is how could it be dying? What will change if anything and where would those Gas docs go if they have spent so much time training in this field?

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

HEME-ONC said:
Yesterday I was in the process of talking to an anesthesiologist about spending some time in the OR with her to really see if I would like Gas. A friend of mine whos father is a Crna, after seeing me talking the Gas doc, asked me why I wanted to go into a field that is dying.

I asked him why he would think that. He told me his father, who is a Crna, has really discouraged him from going into Gas. His dad said that it is a dying field. That it will be increasingly harder to get work with all of the Crna's out there.

My question is how could it be dying? What will change if anything and where would those Gas docs go if they have spent so much time training in this field?

THanks

Think the info is a little biased? Wanna try talking to more than one person? How about talking to an anesthesiologist?

All anesthesiology residencies and fellowships will be closing shortly.

If this thing goes south within 2 more posts its gone.

HEME-ONC said:

THanks

????????????????

Members don't see this ad :)
HEME-ONC said:

THanks

Does this anesthesiologist that u were gonna shadow work in a hospital that uses CRNAs? If so, I highly recommend that you follow through with your initiative to spend some time checking it out. Work with the anesthesiologist, with some residents, and with some CRNAs invididually if you can. Ask all of them medically-related physiological or pharmacological questions you'd naturally wonder about in context with the case you're following. Listen to their answers. And this way, you'll find out for yourself whether this issue is something to be worried about, just as I found out.

I suppose if CRNAs do take over in the US (to the heavy disadvantage of the patients), we can all just move to Great Britain where anesthesiology has always been a physician's field. :p Administering anesthesia in the US was historically a nurse's/med student's job until it was realized how scientific this field really is. That's why CRNAs are so vocal here and why they feel that this is really their turf.

My feeling is that this field is already too technologically and scientifically advanced, and further advancing rapidly, to go back to it being a pure nursing field. I highly doubt that'll happen, even in the US.

HEME-ONC said:

THanks

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Word. Good call, Jet, guess it's getting to be residency application time again.

:oops: Troll on, brotha man, troll on.

HEME-ONC said:

THanks

Personally I am going to be a Taco Bell manager.

I know your question is well intentioned dude/dudette, but c'mon, gimme a break. You're an intellect- you've made it this far- why would you give credence (sic?) to the opinion of your friend's dad's cousin's sister?

I personally am not worried. If I was a heart surgeon I'd be worried.

jetproppilot said:
If I was a heart surgeon I'd be worried.

I know of the CT fellow who is trying to get into a anesthesia residency near where I practice. I'm not kidding.