why are there DO "SMPs"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattSmith45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are there DO SMP/masters/post-bac programs? More importantly, why does ANYONE enroll in them when there is obviously grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it has to do with linkages to their schools, I think some even let you transfer your classes over to their medical school. Pre-meds who do the DO SMPs can also apply to MD schools. I guess some people want to earn a degree at the end of their post-bac, which DO SMP may give whereas a DIY postbac will not get you that. Just my opinion, but I guess there are pro's and cons to both sides, a DIY is definitely a cheaper way to boost your GPA.

Why are there DO SMP/masters/post-bac programs? More importantly, why does ANYONE enroll in them when there is obviously grade replacement?

An SMP is considered to be graduate level course work that may provide a better upper edge to applicants than grade replacement especially if there is a contract that guarantees an interview if said applicant performs well in the SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how ubiquitous it is, but of the DO SMP I'm aware of you have a guaranteed interview for the DO program with a certain GPA. For individuals with very big red flags on their application, an interview may help them shine where they may not have by regularly applying.

Most have a linkage, and if it'll take you more than 1 year to get your grade replacement fix, it makes more sense to do a DO SMP.

SMP's are cash cows for the DO schools. The faculty and coursework are already in place-- the schools merely select existing courses, brand it a 1 yr "Master's of Biomedical Science" degree or whatever that will improve one's app, enroll a few dozen desperate premeds, and charge $20-30K+ tuition apiece. Easy money for the schools, but generally a poor value for the students IMO.

Last edited: