why are we going for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chatu11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as mentioned in a post i've read before, "medicine is a long and painful road".. I'd like to know about your insight regarding this.

all the years of studying, such persuit that requires and juices out a lot from you, why go for medicine.

physical, emotional, and mental stamina, plus the financial. Why are we going for medschool? Aside the compelling prospect of us being there already, a physician, the MD at the end of the name, what drives us? What drives YOU?

Members don't see this ad.

My driver drives me :D Sorry, a bit of corny pinoy humor there, couldn't resist. Well, I think our idea of medicine (which is often very different from reality) drives us. I can only speak for myself though, I went into medicine because I have always liked the sciences and have always enjoyed learning, it was sort of a natural progression. Sure I wanted to help people as well but that wasn't my top priority.

I think we put up with medical school and push through the tough times cos the alternative is unthinkable. My alternative was probably to go on to a masters or study law. I'm sure they were both very good alternatives but I didn't want to be stuck in a university/courtroom/office all day. I wanted a career where I would not only get paid reasonably well (I of course now know that medicine doesn't pay as well as I thought it did) but that would give me personal satisfaction. I wanted a career that would allow me to play a significant role in society and like a lotta pre-med students I envisioned making the big discovery curing AIDS/Cancer or something big. I am now of course more concerned with living comfortably with my family. This is not to say that from time to time I don't daydream about making the big discovery, who knows someday WaZoBia might be mentioned in the same sentence as Sir Alexander Fleming and Alfred Blalock, it's still early days yet.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
as mentioned in a post i've read before, "medicine is a long and painful road".. I'd like to know about your insight regarding this.

all the years of studying, such persuit that requires and juices out a lot from you, why go for medicine.

physical, emotional, and mental stamina, plus the financial. Why are we going for medschool? Aside the compelling prospect of us being there already, a physician, the MD at the end of the name, what drives us? What drives YOU?

for me people go to med because of passion... okay this may sound very cliche and corny.. but i do believe in "calling".. it's just like there is this urge inside to help people and improve their health...

for me people go to med because of passion... okay this may sound very cliche and corny.. but i do believe in "calling".. it's just like there is this urge inside to help people and improve their health...

Still a very interesting thread. I agree with Whitequote, the true physicians study Medicine because of passion and yes, it's a "calling". :)
I had like 2 years of pondering before I eventually entered med school. And I've encountered lots and lots of people studying med for other reasons: 1) their parents wanted them to take Medicine whether or not their parents are MDs 2)the old idea that it's going to give you big financial returns 3) the title itself affixed before your name 4) they just wanted to take it because they wanted a direction in life, yeah I remember one former male classmate telling me this.
I still remember our consultant lecturers telling this during our first day : " Are you sure about what you're doing? Do you really want to be a doctor?"... and so on and so forth. Then they tell you to back out from med school as early as you can because you're just wasting a lot of money and time. Up to our clerkship training orientation that was never ending. Well maybe our professors then really wanted us to make sure about what we decide on. :)
Studying Medicine is one great journey. It will test the worst and best out of you. And studying doesn't stop when you graduate and earn your license. You are a learner all your life. Well, to think of it... We all are... Physicians or not. :) Just reach for your stars and believe in what you can do. :)

like a lotta pre-med students I envisioned making the big discovery curing AIDS/Cancer or something big.

yup, something big, like alzheimer's, my granma has it.

human body's amazing, the complexity excites me, but morethan that, i know i can be useful:).

i believe it's 'passion-compulsion', can push you far-off to where you wna be.

yup, something big, like alzheimer's, my granma has it.

human body's amazing, the complexity excites me, but morethan that, i know i can be useful:).

i believe it's 'passion-compulsion', can push you far-off to where you wna be.

premeds envisioning themselves as docs who find a "cure" for alzheimer or AIDS, etc.......... unless a doctor is into research, with a significant research background, that just isn't gonna happen these days.... it's not likely a practicing doctor is gonna find a cure for these diseases. he/she may help in clinical research by conducing trials for scientists though.

it takes many many years of expertise, knowledge in these disease research. premeds who want to find cures should think about research instead

premeds envisioning themselves as docs who find a "cure" for alzheimer or AIDS, etc.......... unless a doctor is into research, with a significant research background, that just isn't gonna happen these days.... it's not likely a practicing doctor is gonna find a cure for these diseases. he/she may help in clinical research by conducing trials for scientists though.

it takes many many years of expertise, knowledge in these disease research. premeds who want to find cures should think about research instead

Why would you go and dash the hopes and dreams of people who are driven to accomplish something, reguardless of how they accomplish it (or at least try to accomplish it)?!?! Why are YOU going into med, are you actually studying med now, and have you done any research?? Just curious to understand where you're coming from....

Why would you go and dash the hopes and dreams of people who are driven to accomplish something, reguardless of how they accomplish it (or at least try to accomplish it)?!?! Why are YOU going into med, are you actually studying med now, and have you done any research?? Just curious to understand where you're coming from....

how exactly am i dashing the hopes and dreams by pointing out a more probable and realistic route to finding a cure to Alzehimer? most premeds who want to do med won't have their dreams dashed this easily..

you are quite confrontational. take it easy. to find cures for diseases like cancer, etc., you need to have alot of research background. one needs to understand not only the macro aspects but also at the micro level - i.e. biochem and molecular aspects. and yes, i have done research.

and no i'm not in med. but what i coiincidence, i think i'm in your UQ med class in 2008. lol

Probably what you can get from med can help in the development of these researches [though of course having the background of current and dated researches is crucial].

I think this vision of 'cure-something-big' is one proponent to some premeds' aspiration going to medicine, keeping the flame on, also a solace in times of what-a-hell-i'm-going-through, it's a nice thought.

perhaps a contribution is already something big for that something big:)

oh, a research team :clap:

Probably what you can get from med can help in the development of these researches [though of course having the background of current and dated researches is crucial].

I think this vision of 'cure-something-big' is one proponent to some premeds' aspiration going to medicine, keeping the flame on, also a solace in times of what-a-hell-i'm-going-through, it's a nice thought.

perhaps a contribution is already something big for that something big:)

oh, a research team :clap:

how exactly am i dashing the hopes and dreams by pointing out a more probable and realistic route to finding a cure to Alzehimer? most premeds who want to do med won't have their dreams dashed this easily..

you are quite confrontational. take it easy. to find cures for diseases like cancer, etc., you need to have alot of research background. one needs to understand not only the macro aspects but also at the micro level - i.e. biochem and molecular aspects. and yes, i have done research.

and no i'm not in med. but what i coiincidence, i think i'm in your UQ med class in 2008. lol

I actually wasn't being confrontational, I truly was interested in knowing what your background is! I know you're in my class by the way....
I am a graduate student at the moment in medical science, so I see both sides of the argument, and I just think that it's great that people have dreams like wanting to cure certain diseases (however unlikely they may be!) and I believe no one should take it upon themselves to put someone else's dreams down, that's all! Anyways, no biggie, onward and upward, see ya Down Under! (join the Facebook page for the class!!)

i personally believe that med is all about passion!!! from the very beginning i knew that med is going to be a tough and long road to take, but I am more than willinng to take that because i want it that bad!!! This might sound really ridiculous but, just the thought of being a doctor makes me feel so fulfilled and ecstatic. It just feels so good. I think that bizarre "feeling" is what drives me to pursue med. I don't care if I would work 24hrs a day, but I can just feel that rush of adrenaline and it's a good feeling!!! sure it's good money, but at the end of the day it's not about the money and prestige anymore, it's whether you're happy with your chosen career and i really believe that med would give me that personal fulfilness...

a fren of mine doing medicine said that MBBS means Money Bentley Bungalows and Sluts

'nuff said

I'm working now and I feel that in a year or 2 years time I'll be earning what I still have to earn in 5-10 years time when I go to med school. The truth is I don't know the exact reason why, but I know I really want to pursue it no matter how hard it takes.

i think Dr.Cox in Scrubs once said he went into medicine because of the 5Cs - cash, car, condos, chicks.... and chicks... lmao :laugh: